Converting a 17" steering wheel to smaller 14" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

buckroseau

May I have another!!!
SILVER Star
Threads
I have a 72 FJ40 with the stock steering column and steering wheel on it right now. Because I am a rather tall fellow I have some leg/clutch/steering wheel issues. I would like to put a smaller steering wheel on, but I am looking for the cheapest and easiest solution.

I know there are adaptors available to convert from Toyota's column to an aftermarket steering wheel. Are there inexpensive places to purchase something like this? Online maybe?

Or I would consider cutting the existing steering wheel, shorting the spokes and rewelding the hoop back on. I know this is more crude than an aftermarket steering wheel, but I'm looking for cheap. I've got a 77 that I'm restoring into a pimped out ride, but this 72 is my plow/hunting/offroad rig so I don't want to stick a lot of $$ into it.

Pics of plow rig
http://www.crustycruisers.com/mattplow.htm

Wondering if anyone out there has dealt with these issues before?

Thanks, Matt

Hey Gumby,

Are you saying the steering wheel from a mini truck is a direct bolt on replacement for the 72 FJ40 with no adapter?

If yes, what make, model and year of truck?

Thanks, Matt

I installed a steering wheel off a 1992 FJ80 (91-94 still the same) on my 1975 FJ40. Minor modification is need to move the horn contact up a bit so it matches the horn ring on the 80 wheel. Spline count and diameter are the same. The 80 steering wheel is smaller but I don't think it is 14". Maybe 15"

Dave

I run a steering wheel from an early 80s mini on my 74 FJ40 and it is a direct bolt on. I'm not sure what year the truck wheel is but it works wonders. More room in the cab and I don't bump the door with my elbow.

I think the problem is that the earlier cruiser columns are different than that of the 73 and later. Better check out the spline count and diameter before you buy.

I just thought of something. I'm doing a full blown resto on my 77 FJ40 and I'm going to be putting in a GM tilt column or an Ididit column into that rig.

Since pre 73 models are going to require some sort of an adapter and more cash than I want to spend, I have a new question now.

Will the column out of my 77 bolt into my 72 without any major hassles? Then I could use a mini truck wheel I believe as a direct bolt on for that 77 column? Friend of mine has a steering wheel out of a 88 Toyota 2x4 truck, should bolt up I'm assuming from what everyone has said here?

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom