1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting a 17" steering wheel to smaller 14"

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by buckroseau, Oct 24, 2003.

1. buckroseau

buckroseau May I have another!!! SILVER Star

I have a 72 FJ40 with the stock steering column and steering wheel on it right now. Because I am a rather tall fellow I have some leg/clutch/steering wheel issues. I would like to put a smaller steering wheel on, but I am looking for the cheapest and easiest solution.

I know there are adaptors available to convert from Toyota's column to an aftermarket steering wheel. Are there inexpensive places to purchase something like this? Online maybe?

Or I would consider cutting the existing steering wheel, shorting the spokes and rewelding the hoop back on. I know this is more crude than an aftermarket steering wheel, but I'm looking for cheap. I've got a 77 that I'm restoring into a pimped out ride, but this 72 is my plow/hunting/offroad rig so I don't want to stick a lot of $$ into it.

Pics of plow rig
    http://www.crustycruisers.com/mattplow.htm

Wondering if anyone out there has dealt with these issues before?

Thanks, Matt

2. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

mini truck. smaller and looks right. I'll try and double check mine this afternoon to make sure it fits

3. buckroseau

Hey Gumby,

Are you saying the steering wheel from a mini truck is a direct bolt on replacement for the 72 FJ40 with no adapter?

If yes, what make, model and year of truck?

Thanks, Matt

4. beanz2

beanz2 Moderator

I installed a steering wheel off a 1992 FJ80 (91-94 still the same) on my 1975 FJ40. Minor modification is need to move the horn contact up a bit so it matches the horn ring on the 80 wheel. Spline count and diameter are the same. The 80 steering wheel is smaller but I don't think it is 14". Maybe 15"

Dave

5. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

Crap. I was at school all day agian today and I forgot to check. I'll try and remember tomorrow. :(

6. hammerhead

hammerhead

I run a steering wheel from an early 80s mini on my 74 FJ40 and it is a direct bolt on. I'm not sure what year the truck wheel is but it works wonders. More room in the cab and I don't bump the door with my elbow.

7. KNUCKLEDRAGGER

KNUCKLEDRAGGER

I think the problem is that the earlier cruiser columns are different than that of the 73 and later. Better check out the spline count and diameter before you buy.

8. buckroseau

I just thought of something. I'm doing a full blown resto on my 77 FJ40 and I'm going to be putting in a GM tilt column or an Ididit column into that rig.

Since pre 73 models are going to require some sort of an adapter and more cash than I want to spend, I have a new question now.

Will the column out of my 77 bolt into my 72 without any major hassles? Then I could use a mini truck wheel I believe as a direct bolt on for that 77 column? Friend of mine has a steering wheel out of a 88 Toyota 2x4 truck, should bolt up I'm assuming from what everyone has said here?

Matt