convert a 78 hard top to accept a flip up rear gate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
is it hard to modify a 78 hard top to accomodate a flip up glass rear gate typical of 1974 era?

Done it. You'll need the header bar across the top of the gate, the pair of door strikers and the struts.

You'll need to use nutserts or self-tappers to mount them.

I am not hijacking the thread if I want the exact same thing am I? If so I apologize.
Bikersmurf, can you post some pictures of what you did. I am also wanting to do this. I do not have the header bar but I have a 1980 hard top, a lift gate from the 60's and some barn doors. Do you think the top can be modified without the header bar. Finding some new struts and fabricating that and some strikers should not be real hard. Pictures would be great if you have them, or anyone else.

wow yeah... times two on the picture request bikersmurf :)

The header bar includes the hatch's hinges. Modifying an amby door header would be a hell of a job.

Beside the header bar you have to place the fixed nuts for the latches in the right location. There is adjustments in both the latch and the striker to get a tight fit. The header will bolt in only one bolt on each side in the header to the cap that doesn't line up. The corner braces will bolt up fine. I have a early header on a 77 top. This was only to keep it weather tight. I never installed the latches or the struts.

There is a picture of it in the background. You can see it lines up fine. On my 68 which has a 73 top on it I installed the rear vent windows out of a 78. I do believe I saw the hard top sides and rear header on the Phx CL this weekend. On the 72 model thru 74 it would be easy to pick up the side and use the glass from a later top. Plus install the vent window if it's a 77 model or later.
sof top tub.jpg

Last edited:
i just used a piece of angle iron and welded a long hinge to it then bolted it to the lift gate, it squeaks a little bit... but i dont have any gaskets/seals on anything... just metal on metal

anyone ever try out the JT outfitters option... looks like the hinge style on this one would bolt up to a header bar from a new style hard top..

thoughts bikersmurf?

i cant see how aquala replacement bolts up...but they are canadian...closer for shipping

header bar pictures

Aside from the holes for hinges (and center catch on 81) the header bars sheet metal looks the same.

Check out these pictures.
DSC_1028.jpg
DSC_1029.jpg
DSC_1031.jpg

In the second picture the first bar looks higher... per carpenters square they are the same height.

Must be a weird optical illusion.

more pictures.

Strut mounting, another view of header bar, with the hatch closed.
DSC_1030.jpg
DSC_1032.jpg
bikersmurf-albums-my-truck-picture15734-roll-bar-rear.jpg

Last edited:
awsome, they look the same, just need to see if the junk I got with my old rig has those hinges, or will have to look for some that I can use.

zrheard do you have any pictures of your, those factory hinges might be hard to find, so an alternative might be good to see.

After comparing them, I'd bet an ambulance door hinge could be modified to work.

Not a task for those afraid to use a welder and a grinder.

Although the hinges are small and could be shipped from where ever you could find one (or two).

I have a bunch of ambulance door hinges (and ambulance doors which I hate) and I love to weld and grind (does not mean I am good at it), and for the original poster ambulance door hinges show up on ebay often, but never seen the hatch hinges.

If you hate your ambulance doors, or they're rusted to hell, chop 'em. Pic stolen from Mud...
Top Half doors7.jpg

That was my original plan until I picked up my 1962 and it came with tailgate, barn doors, and a hardtop hatch. Now I have many options, but the hatch is my first preference.

anyone actually installed an aquala flip up hatch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom