Conversion 88 chevy 350 with G.M. transfer case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Conversion 88 chevy 350 with G.M. transfer case 72 fj40

I want to drop in a 88 drivetrain out of an 88 model chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 truck with auto overdrive etc. Why not use the stock transfer case it's in good shape. I only want to cruise mine around. My Dad passed it down to me the last thing I want to do is roll it over. So, maybe some small hills , mud a trail down to the fishing spot . Will be about it for this 40. It has 35x13.50s on it now with the stock drivetrain and three speed (grinds too much) . Would this 88 stock set up with transfer case be problematic or simple and cost less? Would it just be diveshaft adjustments. Any input?
does it have to have a centered axle housing? Or not
tn.jpg

Last edited:
Conversion 88 chevy with G.M. transfer case

Using a GM transfer case will require a centered rear axle.

I want to drop in a 88 drivetrain out of an 88 model chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 truck with auto overdrive etc. I only want to cruise mine around. My Dad passed it down to me the last thing I want to do is roll it over.

Sure. Installing a V8 is not going to make it less likely to roll over. :lol:

It has 35x13.50s on it now with the stock drivetrain and three speed (grinds too much) .

Bet the three speed transmission would not grind so much if you learned how to shift it properly. :eek: :lol:

First gear is not synchroed, so your best bet is to not try and shift it into first or reverse while moving. :idea:

Would this 88 stock set up with transfer case be problematic or simple and cost less? Would it just be diveshaft adjustments.

Nothing about installing a V8 into a Land Cruiser is simple or cheap. Driveshaft adjustments are just the beginning.

Any input?

Read the tech links/faq on engine conversions and the many build threads out here about the work people have gone through doing an engine swap.

Go to a LSLC club meeting and talk with folks that have done this conversion....
I would start there....

Have fun! :cheers:

Really, maybe I should stop before I get out too.

O.K. how do you get around needing a centered axle housing? Will the GM case just not work with a stock axle? My rigs a Feb. 1972 fj40

You guys are tons of help. This site should be called IH8Smartass.com :lol: Poser? So, anyone on here running anything other than a stock set up is a poser. Is that what your saying?

You guys are tons of help. This site should be called IH8Smartass.com :lol: Poser? So, anyone on here running anything other than a stock set up is a poser. Is that what your saying?

They aren't being a smartass, your not understanding what they are trying to tell you evidently.

Cruiser=offset axle
GM=centered axle

Cruiser=offset xfer case
GM=centered xfer case

if the 88 chev is ifs like mine the t case front drive is on the drivers side lots of luck there.several military trucks had offset d shafts and worked for years probably not at 70 mph.like the guys say do some more research.there is no such thing as free parts when your converting a cruiser good luck

Huh?? More like IH8dumbasses.com Have you even looked under your truck yet? Both differentials are on the passenger side as are both transfer case outputs. Now look at the chevy drivetrain. centered rear and driver side front. DS front output to a PS diff is not going to work. And please don't ask if you can just flip the front axle to make a DS diff.....

The FAQ at the top of the page has a ton if info that has been talked about for years. Almost any question you have can be answered in the FAQ or by using the search function. We understand you are a NooB. Don't go stirring the pot. 99.9% of all responses on mud are helpful and in good faith. That other .1% is when somebody responds with "You guys are tons of help. This site should be called IH8Smartass.com :lol: Poser? So, anyone on here running anything other than a stock set up is a poser. Is that what your saying?" with absolutely no reason to. These guys ARE a ton of help, and the only person being called a "Poser" is the one whos name is Poser.

The 88 drivetrain is LOOOOONG compared to the yota stuff. Biggest issue is the auto, and GM cases aren't exactly short either. A V8, TH350 and a Dana 300 are about as short as it gets and is still longer than the stock setup. You really want to keep the driveshafts as long as possible to help with angles.

Search for "centered rear" , "350 swap" , "drivetrain length" and that'll get you started. After all that ask any questions you still have. Just make sure the answer is not in the FAQ first.... Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom