conv motor oil vs synth? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is it a mileage issue as of when you start using synthetic motor oil?

Not sure I understand the question, but you can switch to synth at any time. You may, however, want to do an early 1st change if you've been running dyno for a long time as the synth may loosen up some sludge that you'll want to remove from the system.

I think most people worry about using synthetic on older vehicles because of it leaking through seals. I'm not sure if this is just rumor or fact though. I do know that when I switched my motorcycle to synthetic the engine was cooler in the daytime heat and the gear shifts were much smoother and quieter. That first gear CLUNK was practically eliminated.

synthetic does not cause seals to leak...the seals were already bad and the sludge kept them from dripping....when you use synthetic it tends to clean everything...hence the recommendation to chain oil and filters after about 500 miles the first time if running conventional for a long time. If you vehicle was well maintained then it will be fine. My vehicle had 130k on it and not a leak anywhere when I converted her over to syn for engine, tranny, differentials, transfer case.

well for some damn reason, Toyota told me to never use synthetic. i couldnt figure how why the hell not. im 58K right now

Tech/service writer at a dealership does not equal Toyota corporate. Unless you got a letter from Toyota or read it in a service manual somewhere (either of which I'd like to see), go ahead and run synthetic if you want to. I'd be willing to wager that more than 50% of 100 owners on mud are running synth in one flavor or another with no I'll effects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom