Controlling Cruise Control Module (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

adventr

SILVER Star
Threads
Anyone have a wiring diagram/pinout for the cruise control module on a 93 FZJ80?

I'm wanting to use it as a way to set my idle speed for running a york/winching.

I've got a couple microcontrollers laying around, and I'd like to use one to control the cruise control module. Looks like it may be a stepper motor or a servo?

Either way, I want to have the microcontroller (arduino or BS2) read a potentiometer that I'll mount on the dash. When activated, this will allow infinite adjustment.
Another option would be to have the microcontroller sense the tach signal, and hold a set RPM. This would allow for load control (IE, engine would hold 1500rpm no matter the load on the engine, as it will vary as the York compressor cycles)

Should be a fun little project.

Anyone familiar with the tach signal in an 80? Best place to tap in? Square wave signal?

Anyone have a wiring diagram/pinout for the cruise control module on a 93 FZJ80?

I'm wanting to use it as a way to set my idle speed for running a york/winching.

I've got a couple microcontrollers laying around, and I'd like to use one to control the cruise control module. Looks like it may be a stepper motor or a servo?

Either way, I want to have the microcontroller (arduino or BS2) read a potentiometer that I'll mount on the dash. When activated, this will allow infinite adjustment.
Another option would be to have the microcontroller sense the tach signal, and hold a set RPM. This would allow for load control (IE, engine would hold 1500rpm no matter the load on the engine, as it will vary as the York compressor cycles)

Should be a fun little project.

Why not just install a hand throttle?

Hey Tim no starting new projects until that bumper is done!

Why not just install a hand throttle?

His objective was to keep the engine at constant RPM, like the cruise control keeps constant speed. The hand throttle will not do that.

Hey Tim no starting new projects until that bumper is done!

Funny you mention that, Shawn... I actually worked on it some last night! That project has various degrees of outsourcing, so trying to get all that lined out just takes time.
My new York 210 arrived the other day, and that reminded me that I still need a way to bump my idle. I have the microcontrollers laying in a drawer, and I still remember how to do all of the coding, so I figured the cruise control box would make a good way to set my idle. Especially since I never use cruise control on my rig.

His objective was to keep the engine at constant RPM, like the cruise control keeps constant speed. The hand throttle will not do that.

I've looked into the hand throttles, and since slee can't get them anymore, SOR is my only option (that I know of). For $160 or whatever they charge, I can think of better ways.

If I can figure out how the OEM actuator is controlled, I can write a program for one of my microcontollers to basically do the same thing that the ECU does to hold a set speed. It's constantly monitoring the vehicle's speed sensor, and actuating the throttle accordingly. My program would, instead, monitor the tach signal, and actuate the throttle to hold a set RPM.

SO, does anyone have something out of the FSM that shows a wiring diagram for the cruise control actuator?

My hand throttle keeps a constant RPM once set. No it doesn't have infinite adjustment, but controlling it from the CC actuator won't either. Both are relying on yanking/slacking a cable and linkage. I would suspect that his system would constantly hunt for the set frequency unless he incorporated a damping circuit as well.

A more accurate way to do this would be to tap into the ISC circuit which is also a stepping motor. That circuit is already designed to do this, however I don't know what the high range would be.

Either way it sounds like a fun project, albeit way over complicated to run a compressor which really doesn't care too much.

Please keep updating the progress.

Looks like this guy has already done what I'm wanting to do, but with a '98 isuzu actuator:

Load Sensitive Cruise Control, electronic actuator - YouTube

Simple! He's just controlling the motor that's inside the actuator directly with an H-bridge. That allows him to use PWM (pulse width modulation) to control the H-bridge, which handles the actual load of the electric motor.
I was over-complicating it by trying to figure the cruise control actuator's motor control system, when I can just make my own.

My hand throttle keeps a constant RPM once set. No it doesn't have infinite adjustment, but controlling it from the CC actuator won't either. Both are relying on yanking/slacking a cable and linkage. I would suspect that his system would constantly hunt for the set frequency unless he incorporated a damping circuit as well.

A more accurate way to do this would be to tap into the ISC circuit which is also a stepping motor. That circuit is already designed to do this, however I don't know what the high range would be.

Either way it sounds like a fun project, albeit way over complicated to run a compressor which really doesn't care too much.

Please keep updating the progress.

All of that will be handled in the programming. I don't forsee any issues with the idle hunting around, once set.

As far as the ISC goes, I definitely don't want to start messing with the vehicles electrical system. I know first hand of the headaches that can cause, as well as diminishing reliability...
The cruise control actuator will be completely disconnected from the vehicles circuit, so it will have no impact on reliability. If a problem should arrise, I can simply unplug it and be done.

I've always wondered how hard it'd be to retrofit a 200 series cruise control module. That'd give you the "crawl" mode.

... is this what youre looking for Tim, or do you need to see whats going on inside the ecu?

41773087.jpg

... is this what youre looking for Tim, or do you need to see whats going on inside the ecu?

Nice! Do you happen to have a higher res version you could send me? I'm going to pull the actuator apart tonight to isolate just the electric motor wires, but your diagram will help make sure I've got the right ones! ;)

Basically, I'm just going to be using the cruise control actuator as a simple 12v DC electic motor, that just so happens to already be hooked up to the throttle body.
I'll be providing my own motor control drive via an H-bridge circuit board.

Maybe pm me an email address and I'll see what I can do.

I've been making good progress on this. I've got parts coming overnight to finish my prototype controller!

The OEM Cruise Actuator is, in true Land Cruiser fashion, very high quality and overbuilt.

This was proven by a comparison to a 2002 Tacoma Actuator I just so happened to have laying in my garage.
Full pic album with comparison can be found here:

FZJ80 Cruise Mod pictures by tim_korn_99 - Photobucket

As for comparison, you can see that the FZJ80 unit is almost completely made out of alloy, vs plastic for the Taco actuator. Even the gears in the taco actuator are plastic. Also, the taco actuator had to be physically *broken* to gain access, as the plastic was molded shut (tabs).

Here is the FZJ80 Cruise Actuator (sorry for cell phone pics):

IMG_20111208_171901.jpg

IMG_20111208_170818-1.jpg

IMG_20111208_171727-1.jpg

It's pretty simple when you break it down. There is a drive motor, that uses a worm gear to rotate the arm (connects to cable/throttle body). It uses a potentiometer as the encoder, which provides feedback to the ECM of the motors exact position.
There are limit switches that cut power to the drive motor if it travels too far, and a rectifying diode to allow it to begin travel in the oposite direction (after it has tripped a limit switch).

Now for control... I'm using a microcontroller, running a fairly simple PID Algorithm that I developed for use with this actuator. A PID (Proportional–Integral–Derivative) algorithm will allow for smooth operation (no jumpy high-idle) as the actuator constantly tunes the throttle to hold RPM setting, even as the load changes on the motor (like compressor cycling).

I'll have a video posted up tomorrow night showing this thing in operation (prototype). After that, I plan to integrate it into my 80.

Youre a nut Tim :popcorn:

It's alive! Video is uploading to youtube as I type this.

IMG_20111214_190753.jpg

IMG_20111214_190807.jpg

Also, I figured out that the Tacoma cruise actuator doesn't even provide position feedback! While the feedback to the ECM is most likely done through the Throttle Position Sensor, it just goes to show how much more advanced the Land Cruiser actuator is over the newer units.

You'll see in the video how it works, but it took me a few minutes to figure out that Toyota had incorporated an electromagnetic clutch into the FZJ80 actuator. After skimming back through the FSM diagram (thanks Shawn!), I did notice the schematic symbol for it. In normal operation, that clutch is connected to the "brake" switch, so that when you hit the brakes with cruise control engaged, it instantly drops control of the throttle. Pretty slick setup, that will allow me to have an "emergency kill" switch tied to my High-Idle Circuit.

Sorry for the crappy video and explanation. I'm not very good at putting my thoughts into words!
If anyone is really interested in this project, I'll make a better video using an actual video camera... :lol:

Controlling FZJ80 Cruise Control Actuator - YouTube

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom