Contemplating abandoning ship (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

After 15 mos and 6800miles of ownership, I have come to the conclusion that my silver 21 HE might not be worth all the marbles I put into it. As what is considered the "Best" Toyota product and exclusivity, that pride made me somewhat enjoy the first 12 mos of ownership. After the honeymoon was over, all the flaws are seriously making me reconsider. From day 1, the windshield made a tapping noise which I eventually diagnosed and repaired on my own. Now besides the weird trans shifting and engine surging?, the front and rear seats rattling is downright disappointing.

Recently, I thought to myself, for the value of this vehicle, I could have TWO vehicles instead; . A RX/GX and a IS/ES, a 4runner and a camry hybrid/avalon, heck even a C300 and a GLC.
Am I crazy or finally coming to my senses?

My 2016 had a odd shifting hard up/down shift between low gears, it was corrected by a tsb where the trans was reflashed.

I guess it comes down to what you are looking for.

Previous to my LC200, I had the GX.
I found it a tad too small for long road trips/camping trips.
Though the increased range was nice (which is why I’m having a second tank installed).

I struggled to find the perfect vehicle and couldn’t. For me the LC200 was as close as it gets.

Your call. If you don't like it sell it.

There are tons of people mouth watering to get a 21 HE.

You're one of many that I predicted would jump ship when the uniqueness of the "last of the land cruisers in the US" wore off.

Just sell it, don't make it a public spectacle and ask 'mud to console you on your decision.

Don't mean to derail your thread but I'm curious about your windshield tapping...hoping you may have solved my dilemma

I've been chasing an intermittent tapping noise for a while now. I've narrowed it down to where I think it's coming from. If I press on the upper driver side corner of the windshield I can get the tapping to stop. My guess is it's an issue with my seal. What was your issue and how did you remedy?

Sorry to hear about your 200 series troubles. IMHO it's not a perfect vehicle but I checks every single box for me (reliability, capability, comfort, etc.) and is honestly the best car I've owned ('09 LX570). Sell your HE for top dollar and get an older 200 series AND an ES or a '22 Tundra...i think they're pretty slick!

are you getting the new Sequoia?

Seat rattle probably from the passenger seat headrest…and the seatbelts…make sure that the belts are straightened every time it is used.

That's a lotta coin. Sell it, get something cheaper so the inevitable flaws don't bother you so much.

You're absolutely right...it is dramatically overpriced and Americans have been stupid enough to pay these crazy prices for the same vehicle that sells in the Mid-East and Australia for far less money. Yes, you can buy one, if not two other vehicle for what one LC costs, and chances are, you'll end up money ahead. If you're over-it this early in the ownership experience, you should definitely dump it. It is just a Toyota and they do cut corners and compromise just as every other manufacturer does, and when your $90k expectations don't meet reality, sell it. If you go to a Nissan Safari, you'll save $30-$40k, and have the same annoying issues, but least you didn't get f*cked for $90k to deal with rattles and whistles.

Hi all,

After 15 mos and 6800miles of ownership, I have come to the conclusion that my silver 21 HE might not be worth all the marbles I put into it. As what is considered the "Best" Toyota product and exclusivity, that pride made me somewhat enjoy the first 12 mos of ownership. After the honeymoon was over, all the flaws are seriously making me reconsider. From day 1, the windshield made a tapping noise which I eventually diagnosed and repaired on my own. Now besides the weird trans shifting and engine surging?, the front and rear seats rattling is downright disappointing.

Recently, I thought to myself, for the value of this vehicle, I could have TWO vehicles instead; . A RX/GX and a IS/ES, a 4runner and a camry hybrid/avalon, heck even a C300 and a GLC.

Sell it. I had the same feelings about my 2016 Tacoma and I sold it and never looked back.

Sounds like your mind is made up.

As an observation as a daily visitor and member for over 10 year. There are more minor complaints about fit and finish on 2021 models than any other 200.

Dunno what factory life was like during COVID for the workers as I work in heavy industry and know what it was like for mega scale operations. It had to play some part in impacting vehicle quality.

Sounds like your mind is made up.

As an observation as a daily visitor and member for over 10 year. There are more minor complaints about fit and finish on 2021 models than any other 200.

Dunno what factory life was like during COVID for the workers as I work in heavy industry and know what it was like for mega scale operations. It had to play some part in impacting vehicle quality.
I would agree. Probably better off not buying new electronics or vehicles made during 2020-2022, or who knows maybe even 2023. Chip shortages, staff/worker shortages, rising supply costs, lack of supplies, etc likely all causing decline in quality for vehicles and electronics. Wouldn't be surprised if cost cutting measures at the expense of quality were taken during manufacturing. Difficult times we are all still dealing with...

Hi all,

Well, not so sure about your senses, but that tank is definitely going to keep your two marbles save for eons. Those are some known issues … sell it!

I would say sell it. If after 1 year you're thinking about it and based on the list of vehicle you are describing it is obvious that you are not taking full advantage of the 200 and it doesn't look like that is going to happen going further. It also looks like you also need a car. The truck is not right for you for practical or image reasons anymore so it really no point on keeping it.
The prices are high so you should get good money from it - again smart to sell it now.
The good part is that you got to experience it so you'll stop fantasizing about the famous Land Cruiser and go on with happily living your life.
If you later change your mind, you can buy an older used one at much cheaper prices.
Good luck!

My wife and I were thinking of trading in her Ls460 for a GX, keeping LC for family and her car as the gx. But man the sedan is a comfortable long distance vehicle.

…this one always cracks me up

1333C811-314C-41A5-AA20-4E0F173CFCF7.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom