Considering 100 to GMT800. Am I crazy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If space is what you want for a family, just get a mini-van. Toyota or Honda.

They drive great, get good mileage, have tons of space, and usually have cooler features than suv’s.

We had one growing up and I completely understand the need for more space. Personally I would go with an Excursion but I’m a Ford guy at heart and think they are built better than the Chevys… and this awesome build has always left me wanting a low miles Excursion to run into the ground

Full-Size Overland: The Excursion Part Two - Expedition Portal - https://expeditionportal.com/full-size-overland-the-excursion-part-two/

Excursion is the bomb. I recently was poking through the mountains and came upon a man who knew what was up...had 3 LCs, 3 Excursions, and tractor in the driveway. Seems he'd be the guy to know in that area.

If your 100 is running well without any current issues, I don't see a reason to change over hypothetical future cost of ownership.

That being said, I've owned 2 100's, and both were much higher maintenance and finnicky than I expected from the platform (both over 200k miles albeit) and I was tired of feeling continually one day away from a $1000+ repair (rear A/C went out, charcoal canister/EVAP issues, electronic brake booster, steering rack, and more). I have a soft spot for GMT800's and they can be cheaper to maintain, comfortable, and reliable (6.0/4L80 combo is pretty bulletproof). If you could find one that is in excellent condition I certainly wouldn't judge you for it.

We had one growing up and I completely understand the need for more space. Personally I would go with an Excursion but I’m a Ford guy at heart and think they are built better than the Chevys… and this awesome build has always left me wanting a low miles Excursion to run into the ground

Full-Size Overland: The Excursion Part Two - Expedition Portal - https://expeditionportal.com/full-size-overland-the-excursion-part-two/

Excursion is the bomb. I recently was poking through the mountains and came upon a man who knew what was up...had 3 LCs, 3 Excursions, and tractor in the driveway. Seems he'd be the guy to know in that area.

Excursions are awesome but dang the V10 sucks down gas and diesel price on entry and maintenance is wild. Suburban/Yukon 3/4 ton seems much more reasonable.

Thanks for all the replies. Reading between the lines it seems the power train will be pretty solid, if not it will be super cheap to maintain and replace. Interior fit and finish will leave something to be desired compared to the hundy, but I’ve driven a 1st gen Sequoia and feel the domestics can’t be all that different. Sequoia felt night and day to LC (as to be expected given original price differential)

Haven’t sold myself on the idea yet because I love my 100 and know its history. I envy non-car people who don’t know the pain of wanting so many different vehicles.

Excursions are awesome but dang the V10 sucks down gas and diesel price on entry and maintenance is wild. Suburban/Yukon 3/4 ton seems much more reasonable.

...and that V10 has like 3 threads holding the spark plugs in and isn't shy about ejecting them entirely.

If you aren't planning on towing big things, the Ford Expedition XL is superior to the Suburban in fit/finish and just plain nicer as far as ergonomics and comfort. 15 years ago we looked at both and the Expedition was just better. We sold it with 260k miles on it 4 years ago and it was pretty worry free.

I haven't joined a forum for maybe a decade - or more. Something about this thread made me jump in (six months late).

First, did Matador ever make the leap into a GMT800? Second, I own a GMT800, and live at the foothills of the Uintahs. I drive my GMT800 on the National Forest Service roads, all throughout the west side of these mountains.

The truck has about 255,000 miles, was $6,000 in 2022, and I'm the second owner. Yes, it's big. No, I do not find myself fixing it on the side of the road.

I use Toyo M-55s in 255/85r16, and have no issues with flats. It's stock height. I get about 14 MPG, and because of an oil leak at the pan, I use about one quart every month (it's my daily driver). From passing observation, it does not burn oil (no smoke or funny smell). This engine is incredibly reliable, and fun because of its powerband (Matt chose an 8.1L variant of this engine for the World's Largest Off-Road Wrecker, in part because of its a Vortec's ability to offer torque over a broad range - also because of weight and low maintenance).

It has a 6.0L Vortec, with a manual. Indeed, this combo seems reliable and I preferred the manual over the 4L80e variant. However, the transfer case was replaced after it failed within months of my ownership. You will find plenty of moaning and groaning in regard to this truck's transfer case. The replacement was a $3,600 repair, which included a new clutch, and a three-year unlimited warranty.

I have a coolant leak somewhere. I go through about $40 dollars in coolant every two months.

The interior is GM but easier to work on than tiny Japanese plastics on 20-something old interiors (I've owned five or more 90s Honda/Acura, a 2000s Lexus, and a 2000s Subaru). GM interiors on a GMT800 are easy to clean, and repair because of their simplicity and availability.

The headlights (dim bulbs) love burning out, and I'm not sure why. Too hot, maybe?

The IFS is durable. If you plan to modify tires/suspension, you should consider reinforcing the tie-rods, and upper control arms (as you should for any IFS).

My paint is fading, but I can remember that happening on my Japanese vehicles.

One differentiating factor of a GMT800, will be payload, and towing. Look at payloads for popular vehicles, and ask yourself if those meet your needs. A GMT800 like mine, has a payload of something like, 3,500lbs. I can tow my fifth-wheel but I can also explore narrow, rocky terrain. I can do the latter without concern for whether I bear enough payload for camping gear AND people.

Payload. Most folks cruising their rigs in SLC, Utah, likely exceed GVRW cruising at capacity for seating, and gear. Throwing on a lift likely reduces payload because of higher center of gravity, and softer more uncontrolled driving. Throw in tents (especially rooftops), cool bumpers (mine has a 280lb ranchhand, which has deflected one deer in as many years of use) racks, bikes, dogs, people, etc., and you my friend, are on a fast track to exceeding the GVRW of a vehicles like Tacoma, LC, GX, and Raptors, - a topic folks rarely seem to address. This is a liability to you, and those things you hold dearly (and things you don't hold, like a passerby's interests in their safety).

I love my GMT800. However, I occasionally wish it was smaller; wish it had better MPG; wish it had better paint; wish I didn't have to fix the oil leak or coolant. But hey, it was $6,000 and is incredible for what it provides for me and my family.

Finally, my GMT800 is a 2500HD, extended cab. A Suburban/Tahoe share much in common with mine. Although I have torsion suspension (better stability at GVRW), your equivalent SUV will have coiled. Your payload will obviously not be 3,500lbs, but should be well over . . . lets just look. Oh FFS. Depending on where you look (famous last words) it is anywhere from 1,500lbs. to roughly 2,400lbs. Chevrolet Suburban Payload (2002 - 2023): Your Comprehensive Guide - https://www.autopadre.com/payload/chevrolet-suburban The former not being much more than an LC's.

Without a doubt, someone will read this in 2024, hoping to find GMT800 overlanding info; any questions?

And, did Matador ever get his GMT800?

Cheers.

I haven't joined a forum for maybe a decade - or more. Something about this thread made me jump in (six months late).

First, did Matador ever make the leap into a GMT800? Second, I own a GMT800, and live at the foothills of the Uintahs. I drive my GMT800 on the National Forest Service roads, all throughout the west side of these mountains.

The truck has about 255,000 miles, was $6,000 in 2022, and I'm the second owner. Yes, it's big. No, I do not find myself fixing it on the side of the road.

I use Toyo M-55s in 255/85r16, and have no issues with flats. It's stock height. I get about 14 MPG, and because of an oil leak at the pan, I use about one quart every month (it's my daily driver). From passing observation, it does not burn oil (no smoke or funny smell). This engine is incredibly reliable, and fun because of its powerband (Matt chose an 8.1L variant of this engine for the World's Largest Off-Road Wrecker, in part because of its a Vortec's ability to offer torque over a broad range - also because of weight and low maintenance).

It has a 6.0L Vortec, with a manual. Indeed, this combo seems reliable and I preferred the manual over the 4L80e variant. However, the transfer case was replaced after it failed within months of my ownership. You will find plenty of moaning and groaning in regard to this truck's transfer case. The replacement was a $3,600 repair, which included a new clutch, and a three-year unlimited warranty.

I have a coolant leak somewhere. I go through about $40 dollars in coolant every two months.

The interior is GM but easier to work on than tiny Japanese plastics on 20-something old interiors (I've owned five or more 90s Honda/Acura, a 2000s Lexus, and a 2000s Subaru). GM interiors on a GMT800 are easy to clean, and repair because of their simplicity and availability.

The headlights (dim bulbs) love burning out, and I'm not sure why. Too hot, maybe?

The IFS is durable. If you plan to modify tires/suspension, you should consider reinforcing the tie-rods, and upper control arms (as you should for any IFS).

My paint is fading, but I can remember that happening on my Japanese vehicles.

One differentiating factor of a GMT800, will be payload, and towing. Look at payloads for popular vehicles, and ask yourself if those meet your needs. A GMT800 like mine, has a payload of something like, 3,500lbs. I can tow my fifth-wheel but I can also explore narrow, rocky terrain. I can do the latter without concern for whether I bear enough payload for camping gear AND people.

Payload. Most folks cruising their rigs in SLC, Utah, likely exceed GVRW cruising at capacity for seating, and gear. Throwing on a lift likely reduces payload because of higher center of gravity, and softer more uncontrolled driving. Throw in tents (especially rooftops), cool bumpers (mine has a 280lb ranchhand, which has deflected one deer in as many years of use) racks, bikes, dogs, people, etc., and you my friend, are on a fast track to exceeding the GVRW of a vehicles like Tacoma, LC, GX, and Raptors, - a topic folks rarely seem to address. This is a liability to you, and those things you hold dearly (and things you don't hold, like a passerby's interests in their safety).

I love my GMT800. However, I occasionally wish it was smaller; wish it had better MPG; wish it had better paint; wish I didn't have to fix the oil leak or coolant. But hey, it was $6,000 and is incredible for what it provides for me and my family.

Finally, my GMT800 is a 2500HD, extended cab. A Suburban/Tahoe share much in common with mine. Although I have torsion suspension (better stability at GVRW), your equivalent SUV will have coiled. Your payload will obviously not be 3,500lbs, but should be well over . . . lets just look. Oh FFS. Depending on where you look (famous last words) it is anywhere from 1,500lbs. to roughly 2,400lbs. Chevrolet Suburban Payload (2002 - 2023): Your Comprehensive Guide - https://www.autopadre.com/payload/chevrolet-suburban The former not being much more than an LC's.

Without a doubt, someone will read this in 2024, hoping to find GMT800 overlanding info; any questions?

And, did Matador ever get his GMT800?

Cheers.

Matador hasn't been "seen" since Oct 9th last year, so doubtful he'll ever read this post.

I know an old timer mechanic that owns a GMT800 2003, only has like 55k on it and it’s pretty mint. Has the quad steering as well, impressive turn radius for such a large truck.

I know an old timer mechanic that owns a GMT800 2003, only has like 55k on it and it’s pretty mint. Has the quad steering as well, impressive turn radius for such a large truck.
Dude, that's nuts it has such low miles! I think those are rare enough that folks who own them, try to baby them. I love some of those commercials that advertised that steering. I believe it was only available on the 1500s due to payload limitations.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

A 2500 suburban with a duramax swap is about as good as it gets, that's one of my dream rigs. Not that hard to do, you can also find them already done for like 15-20k.

6.0 is a hell of a motor as well, gas mileage isn't even that bad compared to other lower displacement V8s. And getting power out of them...sooo easy even without forced induction route.

Edit: necro thread 🤣

I occasionally see clean 3/4 ton GMT800s for sale in my area. Usually they were bought new by famers or for camper towing and the owners are now post-camping age. I tow with my GX, and it's fine with our 4,000# loaded camper. However a clean, low-mileage, well-maintained GMT800 with either a 6.0 or an 8.1 is a tempting rig for a bigger camper. New 3/4 ton trucks are just stupid-big and expensive - the GM800Ts are about perfect in size/price.

I occasionally see clean 3/4 ton GMT800s for sale in my area. Usually they were bought new by famers or for camper towing and the owners are now post-camping age. I tow with my GX, and it's fine with our 4,000# loaded camper. However a clean, low-mileage, well-maintained GMT800 with either a 6.0 or an 8.1 is a tempting rig for a bigger camper. New 3/4 ton trucks are just stupid-big and expensive - the GM800Ts are about perfect in size/price.
I enjoy seeing what is towed by a GX or 4Runner, and a 4,000lb camper seems perfect. I think you are right about size on the GMT800; last I checked, the truck's dimensions are within inches of a modern Tacoma (I checked over a year ago so I'm curious how a GMT800 like mine compares to the newest Taco).

I enjoy seeing what is towed by a GX or 4Runner, and a 4,000lb camper seems perfect. I think you are right about size on the GMT800; last I checked, the truck's dimensions are within inches of a modern Tacoma (I checked over a year ago so I'm curious how a GMT800 like mine compares to the newest Taco).
I have to say that's insane on how much the Tacoma has grown :in size. It should never be anywhere near the size of a 3/4 or 1 ton truck and is honestly a lot less capable than a GMT800 is for towing/hauling.

Toyota also had it right with the 1st gen Tundra around that time. What a reliable, perfectly-size, usable truck. Now it's grown into an expensive, low-hanging, complex monstrosity.

Toyota also had it right with the 1st gen Tundra around that time. What a reliable, perfectly-size, usable truck. Now it's grown into an expensive, low-hanging, complex monstrosity.

Agreed. It’s the perfect size pickup.

IMG_5442.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom