Consider buying a GX... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Absolutely agree the ride quality can be better in a GX, but compared to what???
It is better than any other Toyota/Lexus SUV, sport SUV or truck other than the newer Landcruiser/LX.
Of course it's not going to be a comfy as any of the high end sedans, but it will for sure be better than anything else in it's prices/performance range.
My rig is VERY comfy with my load-out and suspension upgrades. It is way more comfortable than our old 100 series LC's we had, and I can't stand riding very long in my wife's Taco.

So with all due respect, for me and my family, we consider (our) GX very comfortable, or we wouldn't have been able to do 1,000+ mile days on a road trip a couple years ago going to the east coast.
Try pulling 1,000 miles in one day in most any other vehicle... and we did it multiple days!
I think my built 100 series with E rated mud terrains, 800lb constant load rear springs is more comfortable than our GX. Ive done plenty of 1,000 mile+ 15hr days in the 100. I think the GX is a fine vehicle overall but the interior seat trim, and ride quality are lacking on our GX UI. Next time you go get dealer service, try sitting in a RX350- night and day difference in seating comfort.

The traditional definition has AWD as being full time and having a center diff, and 4wd as being part time and not having a center diff. That was useful in like the 1980s. These days there's a lot of blurring the lines. Many 4wd systems have an on demand mode but no center diff. Some AWD systems with a center diff have a center diff lock (like the GX) or another way to direct torque to both axles, making them act like traditional 4wd when needed. Many newer car AWD systems don't have an actual center diff but get the effect via a computer controlled center clutch (i.e. the Haldex system used in VWs and others) or even two clutches, one for each rear wheel. I'm not even going to mention what hybrids do.

The exact definition doesn't matter if it works for your use.

> I suspect most of you considered a 4runner when shopping, no?
i was originally going to buy a 4runner trd off road but my wife did not like the ride, the noise level, and lack of ac vents in the rear for the dog.

> Next question...curious why most of you folks are choosing a 460 over a 4runner?
* smooth drive train
* better ride
* quieter
* better ac for rear passengers
* more head room for rear passengers
* gx has less of a brand name so it is easier to get it for cheaper
* full time 4wd
* can drive on pavement in 4lo
* ventilated front seats
* higher driving position

...back to the notion that there may be a transmission vulnerability. If i am reading the sentiment here correctly, it would appear that they do have a propensity to run hot and they need a cooler mod. Thanks for the dialogue. Good stuff.

Next question...curious why most of you folks are choosing a 460 over a 4runner? I suspect most of you considered a 4runner when shopping, no?
Mo powa baby!

Honestly i had a 2015 4runner and loved it. Had a couple GX470s and a 2020 tacoma since then and now have a 2016 460. The build quality, and the power increase make this thing feel like it is just a better version of a 4runner.

Other bonuses include a higher towing capacity and more unique-ness. Built 4Runners are super-common, built GX's are not (but becoming more common). When properly built the V8 and higher tow capacity make it a more versatile rig than a 4Runner, IMO.

I went down the GX rabbit hole after I started looking at 4Runners while cross shopping an eclectic list of replacements for my Fiesta ST. 4Runners are fine but the GX sold me with Lexus build/material quality, NVH management, and the v8 while being cheaper on the used market. It seemed much easier to modify a GX to meet or exceed a stock 4Runner off road than to modify a 4Runner to match a GX for drivetrain smoothness, NVH, material quality, etc.

I went down the GX rabbit hole after I started looking at 4Runners while cross shopping an eclectic list of replacements for my Fiesta ST. 4Runners are fine but the GX sold me with Lexus build/material quality, NVH management, and the v8 while being cheaper on the used market. It seemed much easier to modify a GX to meet or exceed a stock 4Runner off road than to modify a 4Runner to match a GX for drivetrain smoothness, NVH, material quality, etc.
Really the only "mod" needed to make the 460 equal to the 4runner offroad is to remove the side steps and trim the bumpers.

Had a Veloster Turbo for 5 years before my brief ownership
Of a JKR that I traded on the GX

> I suspect most of you considered a 4runner when shopping, no?
i was originally going to buy a 4runner trd off road but my wife did not like the ride, the noise level, and lack of ac vents in the rear for the dog.

> Next question...curious why most of you folks are choosing a 460 over a 4runner?
* smooth drive train
* better ride
* quieter
* better ac for rear passengers
* more head room for rear passengers
* gx has less of a brand name so it is easier to get it for cheaper
* full time 4wd
* can drive on pavement in 4lo
* ventilated front seats
* higher driving position
* smooth drive train YES!
* better ride YES!
* quieter YES!
* better ac for rear passengers YES!
* more head room for rear passengers YES!
* gx has less of a brand name so it is easier to get it for cheaper YES!
* full time 4wd YES!
* can drive on pavement in 4lo YES!
* ventilated front seats YES!
* higher driving position and YES!

It's basically a 4R, the way a 4R should have been built from the beginning.
And yes the only thing that should have been changed from day 1 on the entire GX line (470's & 460's) is the approach and departure angles along with no running boards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom