Confirmation on Tire / Wheel Purchase... looking for a thumbs up from LC pro's before I buy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Another user posted pictures with BFG LT275/65R18 and the Tundra OEM TRD18's

I like the look of these. Presume decent wheels given their TRD's.

I like that they're a little less aggressive than the RW's

Thoughts?

View attachment 2814477

View attachment 2814478

A72945DA-ED15-443E-8CD9-D5419D2BD7BE.jpeg

Those TRD wheels are a Super common swap and there are a million more of them than Rock Warriors (I love RW BTW). I got these for $150 on Craigslist. Very easy to find.

I like that they seem to be everywhere too. Should be much easier to get my hands on some this week.

Now that the wheels are decided, time to choose tires.

I'd like to go with BF Goodrich KO2's:

This is the one from the picture LT275/65R18 E - https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...errain+T/A+KO2&partnum=765R8KO2RWLV2&i1_Qty=5

This is the one Tire Rack recommends for LX 570 with 18s - LT285/60/R18 D - https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...autoYear=2016&autoModClar=&vehicleSearch=true

Any thoughts on tires?

Looking at Specs they both have diameters closer to 32" than 33", so I imagine no issues with rubbing

Last edited:
Now that the wheels are decided, time to choose tires.

I'd like to go with BF Goodrich KO2's:

This is the one from the picture LT275/65R18 E - https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=All-Terrain+T/A+KO2&partnum=765R8KO2RWLV2&i1_Qty=5

This is the one Tire Rack recommends for LX 570 with 18s - LT285/60/R18 D - https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=All-Terrain+T/A+KO2&partnum=86SR8KO2RWL&i1_Qty=5&autoMake=Lexus&autoModel=LX 570&autoYear=2016&autoModClar=&vehicleSearch=true

Any thoughts on tires?

Looking at Specs they both have diameters closer to 32" than 33", so I imagine no issues with rubbing
Lots of people in love with the KO2 but from what I've read, it's an older tire design and compound.

My recommendation is Toyo AT3s, but I am admittedly biased as it's what I'm running on my truck

You may want to look at some 25mm spacers to decrease the offset to +35.
Or 19mm (3/4”) to get to 41mm.
Most of the oem wheels have a little pocket in the back of the rim to allow the tiny bit of extra stud to protrude into when using the 3/4” spacer.
I ran 275/65r18 at 60mm no problem.

View attachment 2814496

Those TRD wheels are a Super common swap and there are a million more of them than Rock Warriors (I love RW BTW). I got these for $150 on Craigslist. Very easy to find.
Reading thru your build post, it looks like you've tested quite the tire combination. I'm going to go with the Tundra 18 TRD wheels, and I thought Id ask you about tires. I was just gonna do the staple KO2's, but was curious of your thoughts on the AT III's and if you've tried them or others on your ride.
I'm mostly highway driving in the Bay Area but will be going to places like Lake Tahoe, Vegas and PNW in both Summer and Winter months. Would like to go off roading in all three places, as I'll be visiting, but those are my stomping grounds. Also might find myself into some Sand Dunes, but only once and awhile.

You may want to look at some 25mm spacers to decrease the offset to +35.
Or 19mm (3/4”) to get to 41mm.
Most of the oem wheels have a little pocket in the back of the rim to allow the tiny bit of extra stud to protrude into when using the 3/4” spacer.
I ran 275/65r18 at 60mm no problem.

I'm going to have the tires installed at the shop. Is that something I can ask them to do?

I'm down to get the RW's, just want to make sure they fit on the 16+ LX570. All posts are about the Land Cruiser, just trying to see if anyone put them on the newer LX's.

Is ebay the best place to get RW's or can you order them directly from Toyota?
Yes the 5x150 bolt pattern of the tundras will fit. Offset is 60mm if I remember correctly..

I run RWs on my 18LX with no issues - I love them. FYI 285/70/17 Toyo AT3 tires do rub slightly on the front driver’s side during tight turns.

KO2s suck in the snow. I run them as my summer tire. Many other AT ties do much better in the snow: Michelin defender LTX, Open country AT3, wild peaks, …

If you call method they make one wheel (I forgot which one) in a 17” 35 offset for a 5x150. But as others have said RWs are the best if you can find a set.

KO2s suck in the snow. I run them as my summer tire. Many other AT ties do much better in the snow: Michelin defender LTX, Open country AT3, wild peaks, …
1’
If you call method they make one wheel (I forgot which one) in a 17” 35 offset for a 5x150. But as others have said RWs are the best if you can find a set.

I’m not gonna be in the snow too often, a couple weeks a year, and in Tahoe where the snow isn’t that heavy or often. A lot of the off roading will be in the desert in Vegas when I visit my wife’s family and/or fire roads around CA.

I’m leaning KO2’s

Reading thru your build post, it looks like you've tested quite the tire combination. I'm going to go with the Tundra 18 TRD wheels, and I thought Id ask you about tires. I was just gonna do the staple KO2's, but was curious of your thoughts on the AT III's and if you've tried them or others on your ride.
I'm mostly highway driving in the Bay Area but will be going to places like Lake Tahoe, Vegas and PNW in both Summer and Winter months. Would like to go off roading in all three places, as I'll be visiting, but those are my stomping grounds. Also might find myself into some Sand Dunes, but only once and awhile.

This is my second set of Falkens, wouldn’t hesitate to get them a third time!

Long in the tooth but Goodyear wrangler duratracs are excellent in snow and good everything else, but only 2 ply sidewall.
If I was buying today I’d be getting the kenda Klever rt.
It was benchmarked against the ko2 and duratrac and at2.
Of course I like it because it has a 35x10.5x17 size too

I’m not gonna be in the snow too often, a couple weeks a year, and in Tahoe where the snow isn’t that heavy or often. A lot of the off roading will be in the desert in Vegas when I visit my wife’s family and/or fire roads around CA.

I’m leaning KO2’s
I grew up in Tahoe. Born and raised. Tahoe averages some of the highest annual snowfall of anywhere in the world. I’ve been in AK 15 years. KO2s suck in the winter.

Method 703 comes in a 17” 150x5 +35 offset.

Last edited:
@coleAK wasnt trying to knock on Tahoe, I don’t live there full time and get to choose when I visit, usually week of, so I’m not gonna run into unexpected big snow. Mostly just some highway to/from in snow storms would be the worst. Then driving around paved/snow covered roads.

I wanted to ask, do people venture into the Truckee Fire Road network by the reservoirs in the winter? Presume the roads are not plowed, but just generally curious if people take their trucks back there.

Also visited my local tire shop and they have at3’s in stock and recommended them.

I grew up in Tahoe. Born and raised. Tahoe averages some of the highest annual snowfall of anywhere in the world. I’ve been in AK 15 years. KO2s suck in the winter.

Method 703 comes in a 17” 150x5 +35 offset.
I'd like to point out that opinions vary on how good KO2s are in the snow. I've run them in New England winters for a long time (KO and KO2) and have had good experiences. I'm sure there are better AT tires with more modern compounds and tread patterns, and of course there are dedicated purpose built winter tires, but for a year round do everything tire, I've had found them to be great.

ICON Rebound 17x8.5 25mm offset, BFG AT KO2 285/70/17

Tires are about flush with body panels, hub bore is perfect, rubbing on front mud flaps when turning.

You will also need new lug nuts for the ICON wheels (tapered vs flat).

I really like the combo on the LC, I have run BFG AT's for a long time on many different vehicles. I don't mind them on rain or snow, but not saying they are the best either.

Just to note, this tire size at Discount Tire (America's Tire) for the BFG: there are 2 different model numbers, one I believe is softer and carries the triple-mountain peak winter tire certification (important for CO), the other model has a mileage warranty and it what I understand as a harder rubber compound. I purchased the triple-mountain peak rated tire. This could have an effect on reviews for winter driving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom