Confirmation on Tire / Wheel Purchase... looking for a thumbs up from LC pro's before I buy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Also, just to note, the ICON 17" wheels fit the newer LC front brakes, but they are very close to the rim. If the tire shop installs the stick-on weights in the wrong place on the rim, they will hit the brake caliper. That is how close the brakes are to the rim. Not sure if your LX has similar brake specs.

Hmm, yea I’m thinking 18 wheels for sure and 275/70 (32’s) as I’m not looking to push the limits of tires right now.

Figure I’ll want to iterate at some point, and that’s where I can play around with the AHC lift and larger wheels.

@coleAK wasnt trying to knock on Tahoe, I don’t live there full time and get to choose when I visit, usually week of, so I’m not gonna run into unexpected big snow. Mostly just some highway to/from in snow storms would be the worst. Then driving around paved/snow covered roads.

I wanted to ask, do people venture into the Truckee Fire Road network by the reservoirs in the winter? Presume the roads are not plowed, but just generally curious if people take their trucks back there.

Also visited my local tire shop and they have at3’s in stock and recommended them.
If you are talking Donner and Prosser used to go back there in my 60 and 80 in the summer and winter on a snow machine. Wouldn’t do them in the winter without dedicated winter tires and a winch.

If you want to do some winter wheeling in the area:

Kings Canyon-starts in Carson City and climbs to Spooner Summit- off of hwy 50

Jumbo Grade- Starts in Washoe and ends in Virginia city.

Eldorado Canyon- Starts in Dayton and ends in Minden.

Goni Road Trail- starts in Carson and meets up with Jumbo Grade

If you are talking Donner and Prosser used to go back there in my 60 and 80 in the summer and winter on a snow machine. Wouldn’t do them in the winter without dedicated winter tires and a winch.

If you want to do some winter wheeling in the area:

Kings Canyon-starts in Carson City and climbs to Spooner Summit- off of hwy 50

Jumbo Grade- Starts in Washoe and ends in Virginia city.

Eldorado Canyon- Starts in Dayton and ends in Minden.

Goni Road Trail- starts in Carson and meets up with Jumbo Grade
Thanks for the recommendations! Yea the Prosser rings a bell, I think that's what I was referencing.

A486BC6F-8FD6-4E0E-BACD-444E22412D8C.jpeg

Do you know you are missing a lug nut on these two wheels?

HTH
My guess is an investment in wheel locks that haven't arrived yet or weren't installed for pic

Rock warrior availability is why i am where i am today on a +25 and trying to get out.
I know many here run that but i don't recommend it.

IMO the best offering right now are these two unless you want to import Evo Corse wheels at a +40. I dont know who sells them stateside.
I think +35 is great for stance visually.

I prefer the design of the 703 even though its heavier, not by much.

Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 10.52.00 AM.png

705: 703:

Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 10.55.02 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-27 at 10.55.24 AM.png

EDIT: Sorry I'm also assuming a plus size tire.

Rock warrior availability is why i am where i am today on a +25 and trying to get out.
I know many here run that but i don't recommend it.

IMO the best offering right now are these two unless you want to import Evo Corse wheels at a +40. I dont know who sells them stateside.
I think +35 is great for stance visually.

I prefer the design of the 703 even though its heavier, not by much.

View attachment 2822759

705: 703:

View attachment 2822762View attachment 2822763

EDIT: Sorry I'm also assuming a plus size tire.
I was close to pulling the trigger on the methods, but liked the look and price point of the TRD’s Tundra wheels. Also no compromise on the offset

I was close to pulling the trigger on the methods, but liked the look and price point of the TRD’s Tundra wheels. Also no compromise on the offset

To be honest those are one of the only tundra wheels i like. 👍 What do they weigh?

The TRD BBS forged are of course my top choice in OEM if i were running OE tire size.

Welp. Are the TRD BBS Forged discontinued? I think they are dumping anything 5 lug.
Parts guy up north told me they are gone earlier when i was picking up body clips.

Did yall know? Am i just late to the party?

Just a little bit of rubbing when I crank the wheel all the way to the side, so will have to do a little bit of trimming. They look good though!
Just got new shoes as well Nitto Ridge Grapplers 285/65/18's - I took the mud flaps off and thought that would fine (i thought the rubbing was from the rear of the front tire wells - its actually the front of the tire well when I crank all the way to one side). Curious what trimming others have done - I didn't think i would hit the front part.
thumbnail_IMG_6372.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_6373.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_6379.jpg

No trimming necessary. What you do is use the existing fasteners to push the tire liner a ways forward. There’s some pics somewhere on my build, (page 12) and a detailed write up in another thread on fitting tires.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom