Concrete spalling (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trunk Monkey

Threads
The surface layer of my concrete driveway has been flaking off. It comes off in little bits, mostly over the winter. Supposedly the previous homeowner never worried about snow removal. Flaking concrete has been a huge problem here in Utah, they've done news stories about it, etc.

Anyway, now that it's spring, I'm wondering about taking care of it. If I coat the driveway with sealant or latex, will that stop the flaking or is this kind of thing a "once it starts it doesn't quit" problem?

I have a friend that used Top and Bond to resurface a patio that was flaking off and it's been about 10 years and it's holding up well. If was gong to seal it I would think you would have to get all the loose stuff off and then seal it to try and slow down the flaking.

Nope, no salt, just a snowblower. The snow gets under the loose stuff, freezes and expands, and it pops off. I'd definitely do some prep work, just didn't know if concrete is the type of material that once it's going like this, there's no stopping it.

Probably the previous owner used salt on it. I've noticed that even the "concrete safe salt" causes this commonly. If there are any other cracks going through the concrete I'd really recommend removal and repour. If there aren't any other cracks going through the concrete, top coating the concrete might work well. Still my main point here is avoid putting any sort of salt on concrete. HTH. :cheers:

Probably the previous owner used salt on it. I've noticed that even the "concrete safe salt" causes this commonly. If there are any other cracks going through the concrete I'd really recommend removal and repour. If there aren't any other cracks going through the concrete, top coating the concrete might work well. Still my main point here is avoid putting any sort of salt on concrete. HTH. :cheers:

X2.... and the finishers using/adding to much water to the cream during cure, to hot a day and they keep ading water to make it look decent.

how old is it? when was it poured?

it may be possible that the concrete wasn't air entrained...lots of speculation as the causes. Try a bonding agent and a topping. what do you have to lose?

bk

if you pour a new driveway you should remove existing sub grade 2" compact sand or dg and pour over that , if your soil is expansive it could be a source or issues......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom