COMPLETE: Grom VLine VL2 Group Buy Round 4 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a couple Questions about the VLINE2 before I pay full price
1 Do I use the Factory back up camera?
2 When vehicle is placed into Reverse with the system use the VLine or the Factory system?
3 THere is an adapter for front and rear cameras, do they turn on at the same time? or do you sect via an app
Thanks

2 When vehicle is placed into Reverse with the system use the VLine or the Factory system?
3 THere is an adapter for front and rear cameras, do they turn on at the same time? or do you sect via an app
Thanks

I hooked mine up last night and can answer your first question for a 2009 Lexus LX (not sure if the behavior is the same for other vehicles):

1 - The factory backup camera works normally. When you shift into reverse, the backup camera takes over the screen. Then, when you shift back out of reverse, the screen usually returns to its previous state (VLine). Sometimes, however, it switches to the factory nav screen. But all you have to do is hit the AUDIO button to get back to the VLine screen.

I haven't hooked up any additional cameras to the VLine system so I can't answer the other two questions.

Anyone else get theirs yet? I haven’t heard a peep from GROM yet. I shot them a couple emails to see what’s going on and haven’t heard back.

@plars, any tips on the install?

I hooked mine up last night and can answer your first question for a 2009 Lexus LX (not sure if the behavior is the same for other vehicles):

1 - The factory backup camera works normally. When you shift into reverse, the backup camera takes over the screen. Then, when you shift back out of reverse, the screen usually returns to its previous state (VLine). Sometimes, however, it switches to the factory nav screen. But all you have to do is hit the AUDIO button to get back to the VLine screen.

I haven't hooked up any additional cameras to the VLine system so I can't answer the other two questions.

Any chance for another group buy?

I reached out direct and GROM extended a discount.

I received mine last week.

Anyone else get theirs yet? I haven’t heard a peep from GROM yet. I shot them a couple emails to see what’s going on and haven’t heard back.

@plars, any tips on the install?

@stumpy this video was super helpful:

The dash disassembly was virtually identical in my 2009 LX. The connectors were different, but not difficult to figure out.

I was planning to install the unit in my glove compartment. However, after routing the wires down that direction, I found the the unit doesn't fit in the glove compartment with the wiring attached. So I'm trying to figure out where I'm going to put it at this point...

I have heard of some needing to do power cycles of the unit at times so may factor that in how you mount unless you want to pull the battery terminal

@stumpy this video was super helpful:

The dash disassembly was virtually identical in my 2009 LX. The connectors were different, but not difficult to figure out.

I was planning to install the unit in my glove compartment. However, after routing the wires down that direction, I found the the unit doesn't fit in the glove compartment with the wiring attached. So I'm trying to figure out where I'm going to put it at this point...

Do you have any number to call? I am unable to connect with them.

If I recall - I just used the contact form in their website.

Thanks
1) The factory backup camera is retained. 2) When you shift into reverse the screen switches video inputs to the factory camera
3) Grom includes a plug-in called AVin that lets you choose between the 3 video inputs (front composite, rear composite, or HDMI).

For those 460 owners who did this what did you do with the factory aux/usb port? Is there an aftermarket port that slides in here similar to the under steering wheel dash buttons? I’d like to put the USB port there from the GROM unit but I doubt there is a solution that doesn’t involve me drilling. I really don’t want to take all this off again. LOL

Last edited:
For those 460 owners who did this what did you do with the factory aux/usb port? Is there an aftermarket port that slides in here similar to the under steering wheel dash buttons? I’d like to put the USB port there from the GROM unit but I doubt there is a solution that doesn’t involve me drilling. I really don’t want to take all this off again. LOL
It looks like Grom has an adaptor for the factory USB.

I didn't see this until after my unit arrived :-(.

It looks like Grom has an adaptor for the factory USB.

I didn't see this until after my unit arrived :-(.

That would of been great to know before I not only put all the interior together and ran my dash cam power through that hole. Perhaps I’ll clean it all up at a later time.

i emailed GROM directly about extending the group buy discount to me.

This is their response in case those that are interested. seems like they running a list themselves for a group buy.....

"The group buy period is over already. We can sign you up for the net group buy. Do you want to do it?"

I got a GROM for my ‘21 TLC the same way. Install was a breeze and it is bug free so far - knock on wood. They be will add your name to an email list and get notified when the group buy starts. It take 4-6 weeks to recieve after group buy closes. 🍻

"The group buy period is over already. We can sign you up for the net group buy. Do you want to do it?"

Last edited:
Ok I have a complaint now. I lose connection to hotspot and my carplay sometimes bugs out 1 of 3 times I turn on the vehicle. Also, Waze will freeze so I have to fiddle with it to get it to unfreeze. When we go on our 5k mile roadtrip we will be spending dozens of hours driving so I’ll be able to really put it through its paces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom