Compatible replacement motors for Warn M12000 without spending $300 on the Warn one? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The motor on my M12000 is fried. Looking to not have to spend $300+ for the official Warn one. I've seen quite a few replacement motors for $130 from DB electrical, but I can't find one that is compatible with the Warn M12000 which needs the Warn Part#74756. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I've seen that the M12000 needs a 4.6hp one, but I've only been able to find a 6hp one from DB.

The motor on my M12000 is fried. Looking to not have to spend $300+ for the official Warn one. I've seen quite a few replacement motors for $130 from DB electrical, but I can't find one that is compatible with the Warn M12000 which needs the Warn Part#74756. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I've seen that the M12000 needs a 4.6hp one, but I've only been able to find a 6hp one from DB.

I tried a DB Electrical motor on my 8274 winch; it started working erratically after about 6 months of little use, and quickly went to hardly ever working. Took it off and pulled it apart and found this:

IMG_0709.JPG

IMG_0710.JPG

The very thin amount of copper on the commutator hard worn off on something like 50% of the surface area.

The DB Electrical motors are made in China. Maybe I got the odd bad one, but at the very least their quality control is quite poor.

After that, I spent $300+ on a 6 hp genuine Warn motor, and it has been 100% reliable ever since.

As far as fitment goes, the hp rating doesn't matter, only the diameter and through-bolt pattern being the same as your old motor. The extra hp will just make your winch more powerful.

Spend the $300 and don’t get yourself in a situation where you wish you had spent the $300.

9.5 XP motor on Amazon

This is a link to the 6HP 9.5XP warn motor on Amazon. It will bolt right on to your M12k. One thing to watch out for is that it's slightly larger than the stock M12k motor, so you might need to install some ~1/2" spacers depending on what you have it installed in.

edit: added info beyond link

Last edited:
I tried a DB Electrical motor on my 8274 winch; it started working erratically after about 6 months of little use, and quickly went to hardly ever working. Took it off and pulled it apart and found this:

View attachment 3227391

View attachment 3227392

The very thin amount of copper on the commutator hard worn off on something like 50% of the surface area.

The DB Electrical motors are made in China. Maybe I got the odd bad one, but at the very least their quality control is quite poor.

After that, I spent $300+ on a 6 hp genuine Warn motor, and it has been 100% reliable ever since.

As far as fitment goes, the hp rating doesn't matter, only the diameter and through-bolt pattern being the same as your old motor. The extra hp will just make your winch more powerful.

Just FYI-

While a motor from Warn is likely better than one from DB, Warn's winch motors are also made in China. The genius is that they've developed their brand so well that nobody cares. Warn industries has been sold off 3 times since the Warn's last owned it in 2000. LKQ currently owns Warn.

Have a look at Western Motor Service. I've had one of their motors on my 8274 for 10 years or so with no issues (but no super heavy use either). Off the top of my head i know another guy with one on a 8274 who's never mentioned any issues.

I believe you'll find some feedback if you search Western Motors in this section. US made with some global components??

I don’t know if the motor will fit your application but the Motors & Links - https://gigglepin4x4.net/motors--links-147-c.asp has a huge following as an alternative to the Warn motors.

@1911 I called WMS Western Motors Service Co. - http://old.wms1.com/wms1/ and spoke with Rick on Friday. I sent him the link to this thread. He looked at your pictures with me on the phone and said you were right about the thinness of the copper on the commutator. He noticed another issue with the DB Electrical motors is that they are lead soldered which can then melt when the motor gets hot. He said these are several of the reasons DB Electrical motors are some of the least expensive motors on the market. For reference WMS copper welds them.
4B19092F-223C-4C56-BBC8-F2413704BB29.jpeg

I purchased their 6hp motor (on 6-3-23) for my 8274 part # W-7608 $248.35. Which is rated for 6 HP at 1850 RPMs. This motor will require the 20 spline pinion gear upgrade for my 8274. This is the Warn 9.5XP 6hp winch motor equivalent.

@hickuptruck I’d give them a call and see what they have available. Prices are reasonable for a US assembled motor. I’m happy to support small “local” businesses.

1D5FC1D2-ED82-4835-B07A-41317F1C4C8A.jpeg

408D06D8-066C-46E4-92E7-E247E39A5EA7.jpeg

C4C3248F-C44C-4AA3-A592-8502E0FA7A3E.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom