Comparison: 80 Series LC and 3rd Generation 4Runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For all you guys out there that own or have owned an 80 Series LC and 3rd Generation 4Runner, I would like to know what your thoughts are.

I just recently purchased a 1997 LC with 98K miles and man....I really like it. I also own a 1997 4Runner V6 4WD.

I bought the 4Runner brand new and today it has 108K miles. I recently done a bunch of preventive maintenances and other replacements and it literally drives pretty darn close to just like the day I bought it. Other people have said this as well.

I'm interest in getting my 1997 LC to drive "like new" engine wise (as far as handling is concern, I know I need to replace the suspension). Problem is, I've never driven a brand new 1997 LC so I don't know what it should feel like. The LC drives pretty damn good IMO, but I would like to try and get it to perform at its highest level and need input as to how a top notch LC should run.

Here is my general observation between my LC and 4Runner.

- 4Runner engine is smoother, quieter, and has a light/feather like feel.
- LC engine has a low pitch bass sounding vroom vroom sound (especially going from 1st to 2nd gear) and has a tank/heavier like feel. I'm pretty sure that this is how an LC should feels like as I test drove a hand full before purchasing this one, but I could be wrong.

Any thoughts on this? If anyone in the Houston area has an 80 Series LC that they feel is driving in "like new" or top notch condition, I would really like to see how it drives.

Thanks,
Tight White Cruiser

I actually bought my 80 in April thinking it would be our camping/fishng vehicle and DD for my wife but she didn't like driving it daily since she thought it was too big. A week after we bought it, we sold the '94 4runner to a friend. After we sold the 4runner, she decided that she wanted another 4runner. I was happy because now the 80 is used exclusively for recreation. We found a nice 3rd gen. 4runner this past June with all the options we wanted (minus the rear locker) in San Jose and flew down there, bought it and drove it back up.
The 4runner feels quick after driving the 80 around but I love taking the Cruiser out on the weekends. It does have that semi-truck/tank'esque feel to it.
You can't go wrong with either one and I am happy with both (even though I haven't had either one very long yet) and feel like I've got the best of both worlds....A 3rd gen supercharged 4runner and an '80 LC...maybe a supercharger in the near future;)
I don't planning on selling either one, ever.

Cheers,
Salue

welcome :flipoff2:

ive only driven a few stock NA spec 80's and from what i remember, the ride was somewhat plush...esp compared to my lifted 4Runner. not like a caddy...but smooth and well damped considering its almost 5000lbs. all else being equal, they were somewhat similar considering each respective vehicles weight.

if you plan on replacing the suspension...and you want it driving like new...put stock shocks in. they're cheap for the set of 4. cruiserdan is the man you want to talk to...put him on your speed dial. i wouldnt expect a vehicle with less than 100K miles on it would need its suspension replaced. if its too soft for you, might want to look into an ome medium kit, or ome stock kit.

yes, compared to the runner, the 80 feels like a tank. thats because it is. grunt of the 4.5L I6, solid front axle and AWD, will definitely make it feel bogged down compared to a runner which is about 1500lbs lighter. try driving with 315's on stock gears...and you'll get the meaning of heavy.

regardless, check the FAQ on everything you want to get it baslined. that will definitely get you on the right track for having it 'feel like new'. cruiserdan will get you all the parts at the best prices..hands down.

I used to own a 97 4runner with a 2" OME lift, factory locker, and 32's. I bought it with 30k mi. on it and sold it with about 140k. It was a sweet truck and had a nice sporty feel to it. I would say most of the "driving feel" differences between the 4runner and LC are due to the full time 4wd system of the LC. My current LC with 315's and 4.88's is no where near as quick as my old 4runner, but it's alot more truck. I would say both trucks are of similar build quality (can't beat a toyota), but the nod definately goes to the LC because of its solid front axle, and its stout drivetrain (An I6 with its great low end torque is far superior to a V6 for offroading). Also fitting 315's on a 3rd gen 4runner is pretty hard to do. Even with a 2" lift my 32's were still rubbing pretty bad.

the 80 does have a better feeling ride, but it is also heaver. The 4runner will probably feel quicker, but they seem to have a harsher ride unless you have some weight in the back.

I have the same question as my new 80 does not feel as smooth as my 3rd gen 4Runner... not sure if this is the way it's supposed to feel or if there is a need for some sort of a tune up. The LC drives nice, but idles a bit rough (feels like it's going to stall but never does). Suggestions would be awesome!

For all you guys out there that own or have owned an 80 Series LC and 3rd Generation 4Runner, I would like to know what your thoughts are.

I just recently purchased a 1997 LC with 98K miles and man....I really like it. I also own a 1997 4Runner V6 4WD.

I bought the 4Runner brand new and today it has 108K miles. I recently done a bunch of preventive maintenances and other replacements and it literally drives pretty darn close to just like the day I bought it. Other people have said this as well.

I'm interest in getting my 1997 LC to drive "like new" engine wise (as far as handling is concern, I know I need to replace the suspension). Problem is, I've never driven a brand new 1997 LC so I don't know what it should feel like. The LC drives pretty damn good IMO, but I would like to try and get it to perform at its highest level and need input as to how a top notch LC should run.

Here is my general observation between my LC and 4Runner.

- 4Runner engine is smoother, quieter, and has a light/feather like feel.
- LC engine has a low pitch bass sounding vroom vroom sound (especially going from 1st to 2nd gear) and has a tank/heavier like feel. I'm pretty sure that this is how an LC should feels like as I test drove a hand full before purchasing this one, but I could be wrong.

Any thoughts on this? If anyone in the Houston area has an 80 Series LC that they feel is driving in "like new" or top notch condition, I would really like to see how it drives.

Thanks,
Tight White Cruiser

I like the LC better than the 4Runner. Don't know if it's because it's new to me or not. The LC is more stable and has a more solid feel and takes the bumps a lot better than the 4Runner. 4Runner can get kinda harsh on bumpy roads. LC also feels like it can take a lot more abuse.

But the 4Runner engine and feel is defintely smoother. Based on the replies back, I'm started to think thats how the LCs are, but my LC does not idle like it is going to stall though.

Need to get a 2.5 or 4 inch lift with bigger tires before I take it off-road. Stock LC seems kinda low to me.

I had a '06 V8 awd Sport Edition 4-runner and it was the most powerful, sporty and responsive Toyota I have ever owned. But still with the IFS and all the plastic I did not feel like going out and beating the crap out of it like I do my 80. Just my $.02.

I know nothing about the 4 runners engine. The straight 6 in the cruiser is a hopped up tractor motor. It is what it is.

Buck

Although, mine runs great :D

1) Get the MAF mod from Landtank
2) 3" lift and 35's
3) 4.88's or 5.29's
4) Turn the pretty dial
5) What 4Runner? :flipoff2:

"Need to get a 2.5 or 4 inch lift with bigger tires before I take it off-road. Stock LC seems kinda low to me."

Yep, but...I have taken the wifes stock 80 with lockers on some fun trails where guys with lifts and 33"+ tires unlocked were spotting each other and struggling in a few spots. My buddy in his Lexus 450 (locked) turns alot of heads as he glides through some tricky stuff with the magic dial.

Bystander "Man you're gonna tear that thing up trying that line."

Buddy "Thanks, I'll just take it easy."

**Lexus makes it through a little too easy**

Buddy (rolling window down) "Pardon me, do you have any Grey poupon?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom