compare flex of suspension options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.trailaddict.com
For as much as I want a rig that's ready to wheel hard this summer, my budget isn't going to let that happen.  So I've decided to put a little more money into buying a clean, solid rig, and passing on the SOA (or at least putting it on hold).  This got me thinking... soa is clearly the best suspension setup for flex and ground clearance, right?  The only major down side to soa is the higher center of gravity... but you'll get that with any lift, right? Can you still get good performance from a suspension lift?  Or is the money better saved and put in the soa fund?

Anyone ever run a suspension lift (say approx 4") then moved to a soa setup?  Any comments?

4" softrides for 3 years, then SOA for the past 3....night and day difference, would never go back to lift springs again.

Course, now I'm designing a rear 1/4 elliptical/4-link setup, so really, the process never stops...

SpaceGhost went from 4" skyjackers all around to 4" skyjacker fronts/SOA rear to Waggies front and SOA rear to SOA front and rear to coilovers/links all in the past 2 years....

trust me....it never ends....

Thanks for the info... that's pretty much what I figured. I've got a 4Runner now with a 3" suspension lift. The extra ground clearance is nice, but it takes sooo much more force to compress the stiffer springs - especially in the front with the IFS. That's why the soa is such a good option, you are basically keeping the stock suspension, so ride, compression, and droop shouldn't change much.

Believe me, I know all about the disease. I've been modding my 96 4Runner for about 2 years now, and I haven't even dented the list of things I want to do. Projects/mods get added to the list faster than I can finish them. The problem is that it's not worth putting that kind of money into an IFS 4runner. That's one of the reasons I'm looking for an FJ40.

actually, because of how the axle places force on the springs, you will get more suspension travel with a SOA versus SUA on the identical springs. Ride is similar, but obviously has more sway than stock.

yeah cruisers rock over the 4runner

personally I like the early cruisers cuz the were made heavier at least the bodies were

and you can swap whatever drivetrain you want into one
new into old

cruisers rock

From what I've read Skyjackers, BDS and Old Man Emu stuff ride and flex the best. OME is expensive but I hear that it's top notch. For less money you can get the next best thing, the BDS or Skyjacker lifts. I personally have the 4" Skyjackers and I love them. They ride better than any other brand of springs that I've owned (Superlift, Genuine Suspension, Downey, Rough Country). Just my 2 pennies worth...

i agree, but i also run Pinnicle springs, and with rancho rs9000's they ride very well. with 3" lift and 33's i can get the wheels to flex all the way into the wheel well's

A proper SOA was priced to me for $3500 so I went with a 4"TPI smokey mountain kit ($700), funny thing was my shocks and leafs had OME tags on them ???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom