cold starting problems - help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1991 2.5l diesal prado. I have problems starting on cold mornings. When it does start it smokes for a few mins and runs really rough. In addition I have very little power for a few miles. I have changed the heater plugs and checked that the relay is working properly with a multi meter at the plugs and have run out of ideas. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Daryl

Last edited:
how cold is cold if were talking about - 39 c i would ask if your plugging it in ? i have owned several 3 b 's and if it gets any colder than - 10 c i like to plug it in for easy starts ! also i use a diesel additive for lubricity and easier starts there are also summer and winter grades of diesel here in vancouver for truckers heading out of the lowermainland maybe you have summer fuel also i keep my tank full as much as i can i try to fill it up as it it gets down to about half to keep the condensation out of my tank , try changing the fuel filter out .

dasa said:
I have a 1991 2.5l diesal prado. I have problems starting on cold mornings. When it does start it smokes for a few mins and runs really rough. In addition I have very little power for a few miles. I have changed the heater plugs and checked that the relay is working properly with a multi meter at the plugs and have run out of ideas. Any suggestions would be really appreciated. Thanks Daryl

Valve set done? Compression test done? Injectors pulled and checked for function? Those are a few to start.

Where are you located?

gb

I am located in Wales. Recently carried out full service. Starts and drives well when warm but if exterior temp gets down to around freezing the problems start.

Did the full service include the injectors pulled serviced and a compression test?

There is a surf forum based on your side of the pond, where many people hang out that know a few things about the 2L-T. Have you tried it?

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/

Here is an interesting link for those of you with Hilux/Surf in your blood.

http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/links/

hth's

gb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom