Code 26 Resolved (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
I've been chasing a code 26 (rich mixture) on the '94 I recently picked up. I think I may have fixed it with a new intake tube.

After poking around 'mud a bit, this seems like a really common issue, at least on the middle year 80s (maybe the PAIR equipped 1FZJs?). I didn't have other codes at the same time, which a lot of the O2 sensor issue posts mentioned (codes 25 and 26 together - rich and lean mixture). This sent me on a hunt for air leaks.

I replaced all of the smaller rubber hoses under the hood and reset the code (by unplugging the EFI fuse for 60 seconds) after each repair, but the check engine light and resulting 26 trouble code kept popping back up after a little bit of driving.

I held off on the intake hose due replacement to cost and visual appearance of no cracks. Even upon close inspection, the old intake tube didn't have any visible cracks, but it was very rigid as compared to the new part.

I went with a genuine part (17881-66060), although there seem to be knock offs available. Prices ranged really widely. I saw prices as much as $160 but I got this off ebay from Japan, shipped for under $90. Amazingly it arrived in a few days via Fedex. Definitely worth shopping around if you don't already have a go-to parts source.

I hope I'm not being overly optimistic, since I'm only a handful of drive cycles into it, but fingers crossed. I'd say it is definitely worth looking into if you are also chasing this code.

This might be psychosomatic, but it feels like it is idling more smoothly and accelerating better after the replacement.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom