Coating wheels or not? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What do you think about powdercoating wheels? Good or Lousy alternative. Im thinking of getting it done to my stock wheels for my FJ62. Although Im not sure where and how much it it to do?

Welcome to Mud, Veronica.

Powder coat is an attractive, tough finish and would be a good choice for steel wheels. It would likely cost $100-150 USD per wheel. However, the OEM chrome is more durable and will hold more value for both the wheels and the Land Cruiser.

Your best option depends on a variety of personal choices. If your factory rims are already rusty then powder coating is a good choice. If they are clean, then you'll want to preserve them. Pristinely clean OEM rims are fairly rare. If you want the look of painted rims, buy a second set that are already damaged to sand blast and paint them.

There are lots of grey, black, white, and cream colored examples. They all look good with coordinated body colors.

The OEM rims are pretty narrow. If you want large tires (larger than 31 x 10.5 R 15"), there are 70 Series steel wheels available too, which come painted grey.

Please post a few pictures of your Land Cruiser and describe how you intend to drive it (city, mud, rock crawling, etc.) and we can better give you advice. You must post a minimum number of posts before you can add pictures, I think it's only 5, so please tell us a little about yourself and your Cruiser.

There's a lot of great people on Mud who will be happy to share their knowledge.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I picked up a set of OEM chrome wheels to use while I send mine out for powder coat, but I like them so much that I’m selling my old ones instead.

Hi, One of ours is powder coated, no more will be. Mike

Mike,

It would probably help Veronica if you explained further why no more powdercoating wheels for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom