Events/Trails CO family trip 6/28-7/11 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Post by a friend on another forum:

I'm going to visit someone on their private property tomorrow (to help with some fire mitigation). I have to drive on a FS [Forest Service] road to get there. I am having to get written permission from FS Office, carry a fire extinguisher, shovel, and 5 gallons of water in my vehicle as well. Just to drive down a gravel road to get to someone's home. This is serious. They wouldn't go to these measures if it weren't absolutely necessary. There are substantial fines and jail time waiting for those who break the fire restrictions- right now (because of Stage 3 closure) if you are caught on National Forrest land (even just driving down a FS road) without permission and applicable precautions, you have a MANDATORY appearance in FEDERAL court.
Girlfriend today had a closing on a piece of property in the forest, so her and the buy had to go to the Sheriffs office and the forest service office today to get permit to go out to this house.

Just a heads up for your trip, Grand Mesa Uncompahgre and Gunnison National Forests on last Thursday went to Stage 2 fire restrictions.
this is the National Forest that includes the Telluride, Ouray and Silverton areas. Trails are still open, but stricter restrictions apply

Today the San Juan National Forest will go from Stage 3 back down to Stage 2. I live in the Hermosa area just across from the 416 Fire and was one of the evacuees. When out-n-about if you see someone smoking out of their car or parking in tall grass tell them to stop.

Ophir Pass will not be a crowded. Only one shelf section on Ophir.

upload_2018-6-21_7-0-26.jpeg

Just saw that this morning, great news.

Thanks! Hoping Ridgway will get back down the a 1 by the 4th so we can have campfires.

Please, no campfires! We have had very little snow this past winter and the forest is extremely dry.

Up by my house last week:

bilde

Last edited:
We made it to Kansas City last night, off to Denver this morning for a couple of nights.

Travel well!

Have fun

Check the roads before heading out, HWY160 was closed today for a fire and there is another just west of HWY285 southwest of Denver. www.codot.gov for road information

Thank for the info.
Made it Denver yesterday afternoon, staying with family. Telluride Sunday morning.

E43059F0-B22E-4B2E-809B-991F236DF3D7.jpeg
Thanks to everyone for their advice.
Trip went very well, truck drove great, gas mileage seamed to suck but it is what it is.
I did fail to check 285 from Denver to 50 before I left Denver. It was closed so I had to reroute. Even though I was warned, I just didn’t think about it.
Telluride is wonderful.
Hit up Imogene. Not bad except for the potential dropoffs. My wife hated it. She had no problems wheeling in place like Tellico but the dropoffs got her. Ridgway State Park yurts are great. Ouray Hotsprings were great for the family. The owner of the Amigo Lodge in Salida has a nice GX470. Besides that I passed a nice lifted/armored blizzard gx470 on 70 in Cody KA on Sunday.
Gotta post the only photo everyone does on Imogene.
Oh and Denver might be the 4runner capital of America.

If someone finds a black roof rack cap between Cincinnati and Ouray send it my way.

I am heading south from Ouray or I would!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom