Wanted [CO] 1981 (79-83) Toyota Pickup AC components + front chrome bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for most of the AC components (except condensor and compressor) for an '81 pickup 4wd. This includes the in cab cooling unit and accompanying wire as well as a few other small bits. Additionally, I'm on the hunt for a 4wd chrome bumper. There are a few other various parts I'm interested in, such as sr5 gagues (blue) and maybe an sr5 steering wheel (sr5).
Located in Denver.
Thanks

There is a stamped filler piece that connects to the top of the bumper that you will need. I think I have one left over from my mini truck project for the three piece bumper. They are different depending on if you are using the three piece bumper (82/83) or one piece (79-81). The front bumper and that filler piece were the hardest to find for an 81 (single piece bumper) but I finally found one. I think the mounting brackets and lights are different also. I ran both the early one piece and the later three piece bumpers, they will both fit the 81 if you have the correct brackets, filler piece and lights. You can fit the later lights in the one piece bumper with some modifications to the plastic housings. These were very hard to find parts, a few years ago anyway, I would not buy another mini truck unless all the front bumper stuff was there.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reminder! I currently have both the filler and bumper, but the bumper itself is in bad shape (crooked), the filler is only sorta crooked.
Pic for reference
IMG_3426.HEIC.jpeg

Those three piece bumpers were available new for a decent price.
Do you happen to know where from? Thanks for all your information thus far! Does the bumper on the pictured truck appear to be a 3-piece? I'm starting to suspect that it is, the end pieces (which i assume are pieces 2 and 3) are plastic and it appears that the OEM 81 was indeed one metal piece. That probably also means there's already 82-83 brackets on there but i have yet to check.

Yes that is the three piece bumper. You can get them on ebay and elsewhere, just google 83 mini truck bumper. The fog lights for that bumper are also available new (depo?). I think they are the ones with the ears on the ends, but double check that. It looks like they are preproducing the one piece bumper now but you would need to find the 79-81 brackets to mount it. I struggled with these parts because I could find a bumper but not brackets or the filler strip or lights to match.

The dash changed in 82 also, the AC controls changed I think too, so check that. When I redid my truck I found an 83 dash (bolts in) because I liked the look of the controls better and it had a removable pocket that allowed the use of a factory Toyota cassette deck.

This was my truck

Last edited:
The controls did change in 82. I made up a small transition harness to connect the 82/83 controls into the 81 harness.

79-81
79 80 81 controls.jpg

82-83
82 83 controls.jpg

adapter harness
new adapter harness.jpg

The controls did change in 82. I made up a small transition harness to connect the 82/83 controls into the 81 harness.
Thanks for all your replies, this is very helpful! I was confused for a bit because the rest of my truck is stock 81, including the dash panel. Coincidentally, I was able to pickup an 82-83 wood grain dash that I've been holding onto until I get the rest of the truck together and track down an AC faceplate. (your wiring harness is also super informative so thank you!) Your build looks great and I'll definitely be using it for inspiration for the AC and general clean up.

I'll probably end up just ordering a new 83 bumper for the time being but I'm still on the lookout for AC components until i can find somewhere local to pull them (still need to call Jim's here in Denver)

Thanks for all your info @Engineer8000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom