finished latest project 81 hilux (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Some pics of my 81. Put a 22re in it and just finished charging the AC. Used a 94 22re, 84-88 4runner ac compressor and bracket, and A/C evap, cond, hoses, controls, from an 83. I bought this to use as a truck not as a show or trail truck. My first non POS truck I owned when I got out of college was a used 81 4wd toyota pickup. Just want it to be reliable and comfortable. Next to do is a retrosound radio for decent tunes and recover the bucket seats from an 83 and install them with a center console yet to be named.

truck.jpg
22re.jpg
ac1.jpg
ac2.jpg

Last edited:
Wow looks great. Nice work.

Mad skills there buddy. Nice work.

HOLY COW that looks awesome. NICE WORK.

I bought this to use as a truck not as a show or trail truck.

Having just recently completed a very similar project (well... it's never really done), I can really appreciate this. Soooo glad to hear it's not gonna just sit in a garage and not get used. I drive mine every day, yes even in the New England winter. I know it's risky and the rust demon may attack, but I can't just let these trucks sit. Like you, I (re)built mine to DRIVE it and use it.

Thanks for the positive feedback. Note the aprons and rad support I used were from a 2wd. Incredibly that truck was rotted to high heaven except the front aprons and rad support, makes you wonder. The 2wd aprons basically work but take a lot of effort, need to transfer the two bits over for the charcoal canister mount and reinforcement around the steaing box, transplant the 4wd front crossmember, and remove the 2wd front mounts inside the fenderwells. A bunch of spot welds to remove! There are also a couple filler pieces that go over the shock mounts but I chose to not use them. I cut custom mudguards from some 1/8" rubber sheet. Also note the 1st heater valve arrangement I tried from the 81 had the curved branch pointing the wrong direction. I actually used a valve off an 84-88, it points the other way, but need to swap over mounting brackets to get the valve to line up with the cable.

Have you found a 'retro sound' stereo that fits in the dash without cutting it up? I thought I found one at "Classic Audio sounds". Ordered it, got it, tried to install. The knob width was perfect and the face was perfect. The problem was the body of the stereo behind the dash was too wide. Reluctantly sent it back for a full refund.

Awesome work!

Wish my 82 project can be half as nice when finished.

I tried a retrosound radio I got on ebay, an older model I think. It did not fit the opening in the dash very well so took it back out. The part that sticks through the opening was narrower than the dash opening and stuck out too far, did not like how it looked. Note this is for the 82/83 dash bezel. The retrosound radio is too tall to fit through the 79-81 bezel. If someone has an older aftermarket am/fm cassette that fits nicely, let us know the make/model.

btw, the truck has a host of small dents and paint defects that don't show in the pictures, I didn't want it to be too nice to use.

Where did you get the dash cap?

Installed the bucket seats and center console. The seats are from an 83 pickup, the center console from a nissan pickup, early 90s D22 I think. The upholsterers did a pretty good job. I liked the dark blue in the center instead of the light blue like they were new. He re-covered the console top also. I still need to install the headrests, the plastic supports need cleaning first. These are a lot better than the bench seat.
seats.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom