Clutch or Tranny (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Had to go to work today at 10 instead of 2pm, so did nothing on the cruiser. And now I think we will have a bunch of snow for my days off,monday and tuesday. Alot of good ideas here and I will get to them all. I will keep you informed as I start the work.

Thanks again
James

shift

when you said you can shift to 2nd fine ----does the noise continue in 2nd?

Sorry I have not been able to get to the cruiser but I am off until Wed, Tomorrow I will lift up the rear and try turning the wheels to see if i can here any thing or feel any thing. I will also drive it again around the corner to try and get a better discription of what is going on.

Ok lifted both rear tires and spun tires, no unusual noises. Test drive with a friend and a loud very noticable dlunk clunk clunk when in gear and the faster we went the more pronounced it got. My friend was driving and I was kinda laying on the floor with my hands on both the tranny and transfer case. Clutch shifted into all gears fine. It seems to be a definite spinning clunk. In 3rd gear we heard it the loudest and it was faster. Would the truck still drive if it was a bearing?
P2021429.jpg

when you spun the rear tires, was the trans or t-case in neutral? did you try running it while you had the tires off the ground? that should have helped a lot.
if you do run it off the ground, make sure you have proper support ( jack stands ) under the rear axle and that the front wheels are blocked. if she comes off the jacks somebody's gonna get hurt.
i usually use a stethoscope to determine the source of the noise. if you do not have one, then grab a long screw driver. put the handle part to your ear and the blade on the component you're trying to inspect. the screwdriver will transmit the noise nicely.
at this point, i'd suspect a bad transmission counter shaft bearing and possibly a broken gear tooth on the cluster gear.
draining the transmission oil should confirm that notion, or deny it.

was there any noise in 4th gear?

when you spun the rear tires, was the trans or t-case in neutral? did you try running it while you had the tires off the ground? that should have helped a lot.
if you do run it off the ground, make sure you have proper support ( jack stands ) under the rear axle and that the front wheels are blocked. if she comes off the jacks somebody's gonna get hurt.
i usually use a stethoscope to determine the source of the noise. if you do not have one, then grab a long screw driver. put the handle part to your ear and the blade on the component you're trying to inspect. the screwdriver will transmit the noise nicely.
at this point, i'd suspect a bad transmission counter shaft bearing and possibly a broken gear tooth on the cluster gear.
draining the transmission oil should confirm that notion, or deny it.

was there any noise in 4th gear?

Thanks for getting back so fast. Ok first let me say that it was not the best spot to lift the truck and I would not chance running it with the wheels up in that spot(although I thought about it for a second). I did not do the test with the screwdriver but I should have,but me and my friend both thought it was coming from the tranny. My next step is to remove the fluid and empty the contents thru a strainer and check for metal shavings or what ever. I am going away for 2 days and will be back on wednesday for work,I will get to the cruiser on the weekend and report back. I will try the test before I remove the fluid

Thank you Orange fj45

James

hey james.
i think a strainer might be overkill. in a situation like yours i usually will drain the fluid into a clean container and then look at it in the sun-light. if it has a bunch of metallic shimmering pieces in it, then that's a bad sign. chances are that if the trans is the culprit, you'll have a bunch of metal pieces stuck to the magnet on the drain plug (given that there is a magnet in it). and you'll see the chuncks of metal in the bottom of the drain pan.
either way, best of luck.
hth
georg @ valley hybrids

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back. I drained the tranny and transfer case and this is what i found. the first pic is the tranny the second in the transfer. What do you think?. Not the best of pics . The tranny looked fine but the transfer looked bad to me,plenty of metal shavings,but no big pieces in the oil,but it did look shiny like there were shavings in it. My next step is to remove both and take the top plate off the tranny and have a look.
P2101436.jpg
P2101437.jpg

I would take it easy and skip pulling the tranny cover at this point and pull the PTO / inspection cover from the transfer case first since that is where you see metal. From the sounds you are describing I expected more chunks. I would drain the rear diff while you have the drain pan out... I think you may find your problem there if not the transfer case.

I would take it easy and skip pulling the tranny cover at this point and pull the PTO / inspection cover from the transfer case first since that is where you see metal. From the sounds you are describing I expected more chunks. I would drain the rear diff while you have the drain pan out... I think you may find your problem there if not the transfer case.

Ok today I removed the rear shaft and drove the cruiser in place and the same noise. I will now remove the tranny and case. Tranny is for sale cheap.....I think the problem is in the case. Once I get this out I will not remove and inspect to see what was wrong,but like I said from the noise and plug metal I think its the case.
P2121438.jpg

way back in time when my fj40-69 had three speed and an old PTO, i messed up the pto gear and it sounds like the same issue to me. although i am not real good at tranny /transfer details. I did pull the tran and transfer, what a deal, before finally looking at the pto. interestingly enough, i had just upgraded to a stronger cable and I think that it locked up the transfer case and then wham-o, broke the gear in half. that is when i got the 74 drive train and engine, 4 speed i have now. with no pto.

Man...you gotta love these Aussie cruisers, It only took me 28minutes to remove the trannyand tcase from start. Ok but I forgot to remove the shifter,actuallly I needed in for a soft landing on a bunch of compacted boxes. After I get this out from under the rig I will give the clutch a good inspection. When I bought this rig it had a newly rebuilt engine and clutch plus a bunch of other new stuff. The engine and clutch have no more then 5000 miles on them. Should I spend the money and replace the clutch anyway since I am already there???. The reason I mentioned the time it took to remove cause it was a lot faster then the U.S rusty counter parts.

Thanks
James
P2121439.jpg
P2121440.jpg

the only suggestion that I have is to measure the approx clutch plate thickness and if it is not heavy duty, pull it and put in a heavy duty one. Inspect the fly wheel too.

You do work fast !. Got your message. I'll still install a new clutch kit since you have the tranny out , you'll spend around $150. Now you're ready to install the H55F. Let's plan a date to remove mine.

You do work fast !. Got your message. I'll still install a new clutch kit since you have the tranny out , you'll spend around $150. Now you're ready to install the H55F. Let's plan a date to remove mine.

Ok great, we can get yours out in half the time,getting it back in is gonna be hard and I know I will need help unless I buy a transmission jack?

Decided to take it apart to see what was the culprit.
P2131441.jpg
P2131442.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom