Clutch issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.lostbydesign.com
Bought a 73 Fj 55 Not running. So now that it is running I can not get the clutch to engage. Fluids are full. Peddle has the correct travel transfer is in gear trans feels good but no drive to the wheels when the clutch is let out Not knowing the history I need a starting point Thanks Dan

pull the cover and look in there and make sure there is some meat on the disc also make sure the pressure plate is tight against the disc .there could be many reasons why it doesnt work also check free play in the slave cylinder rod .look at the t case lincage the lever should be forward or back if its in the middle its in neutral.see if the truck moves in low range that would indicate the clutch slipping in high.try a search for more info .

Another thing to check.
When I got my 40 the clutch would disengage when the clutch pedal was depressed then hang up temporarily & not engage when the pedal was released. Near the top of the pedal travel the clutch would pop into engagement. I assumed it to be a problem within the bell housing but later discovered the push rod between the slave cylinder & clutch fork was the wrong length & was tilting at a big angle to the slave cylinder & binding. Mine was a 3 to 4 speed conversion & maybe the slave cylinder was wrong for the 4 speed. I ended up mounting the slave further away from the fork & making a longer push rod.

Can you shift gears with the clutch out and the engine running? It kind of sounds like the tcase is in neutral..

You can. Big rigs call it floating the gears. Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

I know it's possible but if he can shift between the gears with the clutch out and without grinding gears, then the power is not getting through the trans. If the the gears grind or it's difficult then the power is being lost in the tcase

ForumRunner_20131129_121033.jpg

Thanks to all who chimed in. I spent some quality time under the cruiser before I took it off the trailer and found the rod on the slave cylinder adjusted too long. After adjusting it there seem to be enough cluch en engagement to give it a try. Thanks f or the help.
ForumRunner_20131129_121033.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom