clutch help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently I have been having a wierd clutch issue. Every now and then, happening with greater frequency, when I step on the clutch it feels like I am trying to streach a cable? It just comes and goes. Could that little rod thing that the hydrolic is pushing floating around and sometimes not seated properly? H55F 5 speed transmission. How do you know if your clutch is going out? Thanks.

Do you mean it feels like you are stretching a cable as you press the pedal? Check your rubber clutch line for bulging?

Dave

Maybe bleed the clutch and check the slave for signs of weepage as a process of elimination.

gb

Sounds similar to the way my clutch was acting until last week when my clutch release cylinder gave out as I was on my way home from work :doh: . I also had a bit of a rattle when the clutch pedal was not depressed, that was coming from that area ecer since I have owned my BJ-74. The rattle is gone away after I replaced the release cylinder.

Hope this helps,
Todd

my vote is the master / slave. it is weird the pedal gets HARD to push though, usually when they are on their way out it gets easier and easier but harder to shift. pop the rubber boot at the slave and check for moisture in there, it should be dry and super smooth.
then check the play at the fork, remove the hold in spring and you should have about 1/8th inch movement before touching the release bearing.
you could also check the master where it attaches to the pedal to see if there is any binding happening, i can not see that happening but for the pedal to be hard to push...or maybe the rod that goes into the master...
hard to tell from here.
good luck

Hey Coldtaco,

Mine would at times be hard to push not very often once or twice ever couple of days. Then suddenly my slave went last week, of course when the slave went the pedal was very easy to push as the clutch would no longer disengage.

Anyway I would get this issue taken care of sooner than later so you don't end up on the side of the road like me :doh: .

:beer:
Todd

I would bet on either a slave cylinder problem - maybe wear is causing it to push at a strange angle, alternatively it could be wear on the actuator rod or the release bearing is starting to stick - has it been through any water lately and maybe the blanking plug has fallen out allowing water to enter the bellhousing.

An update. I talked to the parts guy at the local Stealership and he thought that there might be water in the system and recomended to put new fluid. He recomended DOT 5 synthetic. So I got two cans of DOT 5 and ran both through and then the next day we left for Christmas and drove 1000mi round trip and happy to report that so far the problem has disappeared. Of course I went to the banana belt where the temps where around freezing, now back home and it's -20C/-5F again. So, will see how it goes this week. By the way, everything looked nice and dry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom