Clunk in rear differential, found bearing rollers loose in there. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have an '84 FJ60 and replaced the original 3:70 axles with remanufactured FJ62 axles several years ago.
I was decelerating on pavement at moderate speed last week and heard/felt clunk in back and got a whoosh whoosh corresponding with vehicle speed on deceleration. Thought it might be a busted ring gear tooth or similar, so pulled the rear diff magnetic drain plug and found a straight roller bearing roller stuck to it. Popped off the diff rear cover and found another. All gears look pretty good, things are reasonably tight.
I thought that the diff uses only tapered roller bearings throughout, and the only straight roller bearings (big needle bearings) on this semi-floating rear are the axle bearings. Is that true? I have not heard any noise or noticed looseness in the axles. Suppose if I was really lucky, the guy who rebuilt destroyed an axle bearing and two of the rollers migrated to the pumpkin.
Anyone else had anything similar? Next steps suggestions? I'm thinking of pulling the axles to peek at the bearings, and proceed from there. I don't really want to get into 3rd member if I don't need to, but not sure if that is realistic.
Comments?

IMG_20221025_165154343.jpg

Its not too much trouble pulling the rear axles. You’ve got to inspect those axle bearings at least.

Its not too much trouble pulling the rear axles. You’ve got to inspect those axle bearings at least.
Yeah, I have kind of resigned myself to that. Hoping that it's just inspection and not replacement! Thanks for weighing in. Am I correct in thinking that the only straight roller bearings are in the axle and not the diff?

Possibly pinion bearings?

Usually the bearings have a tapered race and the rollers are straight like the ones in your pic.

Only way to know for sure is to break the diff down and inspect everything.

Suppose if I was really lucky, the guy who rebuilt destroyed an axle bearing and two of the rollers migrated to the pumpkin.

That's a possibility, if either of your axle bearings had lost these rollers you should see an oil leak and feel it in rotating that axle side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom