Club radio purchase (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Scalp said:
Its hard to get weekends when all of us are all available. I'm probably out of town Feb 21 to March 10. How about Feb 11 and Feb 18? Greg, can you make it on Feb 18? ~Bill

Nope. Calgary on the weekend of the 18th...Rivershiver.

Welcome to rotational shiftwork. Ya'll just pick the dates that work for all of you, and I will probably do somthing in the fall if the course dates line up that you gave earlier Bill.
gb

Well, if Greg's not in, then that leaves only 5 of us, and one person is not even a member of CC; not enough for a class group. I was only taking the course to encourage others, since I already have my HAM certification. I have been trying really hard to pull this together, but considering the overall lack of response, maybe we should just forget the whole thing.
~Bill

Scalp said:
Well, if Greg's not in, then that leaves only 5 of us, and one person is not even a member of CC; not enough for a class group. I was only taking the course to encourage others, since I already have my HAM certification. I have been trying really hard to pull this together, but considering the overall lack of response, maybe we should just forget the whole thing. Bill

Hey Bill...Thanks for trying, don't give up.

Is Ron going to offer a course outside the one you/we are trying to put together...seeing as they offer it in the Spring and Fall as you mentioned in an earlier post? Maybe those who are interested can get in on this course, instead of trying to run our own, or was this a combined effort already...

gb

Last edited:
Due to a lack of CC member response, the HAM radio course plans have now been cancelled.
For those of you who are still interested in getting your HAM qualifications, you have several options:
- Study the Basic Course notes and write the test on your own. Pick up a copy of the Study Notes at ComWest Radio shop on Main St. & S.E. Marine Dr. in Vancouver.
- Go online to UBC Amateur Radio Society to see when their February course begins.
-Contact Ron Kolody at ronk@telus.net and try to make other arrangements with him.
-Contact Burnaby Radio shop and ask them if they have a course coming up.

Please note that it is illegal to operate a VHF transceiver without a license. Authorities can confiscate your equipment on the road if you can not prove you have a license. Also, if a licensed HAM carries on communication VHF with an unlicensed person, the HAM can loose his/her license and equipment and be fined up to $5000.
~Bill

Hi Bill,

That's a disappointment. I realize you put a lot of time in to this.

I will therefore be making my own arrangements. For me, the licence is very important.

Sincerely,

Bruce
A2B

bump .... old threads rule!

so how did the icom units work out, or did you folks go with plan b?

Glad you bumped this - I forgot that Bill owes me a beer :grinpimp:

I wound up with 4 different Yaesus. Personally I much prefer having a proper mobile in the truck rather than using the HT.
Did you get your license or just thinking about it?

Glad you bumped this - I forgot that Bill owes me a beer :grinpimp:

I wound up with 4 different Yaesus. Personally I much prefer having a proper mobile in the truck rather than using the HT.
Did you get your license or just thinking about it?

lol :D

thinking aboot it. ;)

interested in the course? info would be awsome, maybe at the next meeting?

vx-170 Yaesu

I have bought 5 of these radios (for aprs repeaters), and some are running 24/7 in a damp high elevation shed under the worst condition for almost 2 years straight now. They are tough...

If you want, or use GPRS you should consider a dual bander.

The antenna is poor, as are most you get with the radio, but you can get some very cheap ones off ebay, buy a pair for when the first one is damaged. They are long and high gain, but easy to damage because of the length.

Garry

Glad you bumped this - I forgot that Bill owes me a beer :grinpimp:QUOTE]

How do you figure I owe you a beer? What was your score?
I want to see the official score results!:crybaby:

If I buy another radio, it would be a Yaesu over a ICOM, preferably in-dash.

How do you figure I owe you a beer? What was your score?
I want to see the official score results!:crybaby:

99, baby - and have the paper to prove it :grinpimp:

I thought all you old Rockers all had brain damage. Let's see those papers man.:eek:

Didn't you hear? 46 is the new 28. OLD rockers are your age now :grinpimp:

Just bring those papers to the meeting, if not, then you owe me a beer.:hmm:

p.s. After 3 years of piano, I'm ready to play for Big Brian and bang some heads!:bang:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom