Club radio purchase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bruce:
They haven't set a date yet for my exam, possibly we can both do it on Jan 8, although he wants to do it on a weekday, first thing in the morning. Can you spare an hour and a half on a weekday? I just did the practise test tonight and got 91%.
~Bill

Last edited:
Hi Bill,

I could write Wed, Jan 4. Does that work for you? Let me know and I will target that date in the am.

Wow. Great score (91)!

B

I'm waiting to hear from the examiner Ron Kolody. When I hear from him I will contact you. I'll ask him if Jan 4 is ok. Its to his advantage to get them both done at the same time.
~Bill

Last edited:
The Ham & Keg Challenge

OK CC members, I passed the Ham exam. Now the challenge is ON: the beer is on me if you get a higher score. I'm not going to tell my score until you've passed yours. CC meeting next week Jan 12, everybody attend!
~Bill :beer: :eek:

Scalp said:
OK CC members, I passed the Ham exam. Now the challenge is ON: the beer is on me if you get a higher score. I'm not going to tell my score until you've passed yours. CC meeting next week Jan 12, everybody attend!
~Bill :beer: :eek:

I gotta 97

But I'm not gonna show you my score till I've drank that beer!:beer:

Ubc Radio Basics Course & Test

The Next Course

The UBC ARS usually runs two Basic Courses per year - one held in the fall (October-November) and one in the spring (February-March). Check the main page for news and information about then next course.
What it is

The Basic Qualifications Course is an intensive weekend course that teaches people the basics of electronics, Amateur Radio operations, rules and procedures. It was originally designed for university students but in the past years has served as an introductory course to people from all walks of life.

The course runs on Saturday from 8:45 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., with a 1-hour lunch break.

On Sunday afternoon the Basic Qualifications Exam is given by an Industry Canada delegated examiner. Advanced Qualification and Morse Code exams are usually offered at the same time (let us know well in advance if you would like to take either exam). The tests are marked as people finish the exams and if you're patient enough you can get your result on the same day!
Required Text

The UBC Amateur Radio Society's Basic Qualifications Manual 5th Edition. This can be obtained from the UBC Bookstore, Burnaby Radio, Com-West or RP Electronics. To be familiar with the course material we advise people to buy and read the manual at least a week before the course. Fees
Fees for the course:
- $20 members
- $30 non-member
Fees for taking just the exam:
- TBA
- TBA
Course Reservation
Send us an email with your name, phone number, email address, and whether you'd like to attend both days of the course or just the course or exam.
http://www.ars.ams.ubc.ca/
~Bill

Last edited:
Preparing For The Ham Basic Radio Exam

In order to prepare for the test, you must get the book and study well
before the course. The on-line practice test can be downloaded at:
http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/internet/insmt-gst.nsf/en/h_sf05378e.html

In other words, you learn the exam material first, then take the course
before you write the exam. It is far too much to learn in just one weekend.
I studied for weeks and wrote the practice test 24 times before actually
writing the final exam.

If you require help in understanding some concepts, call contact me and I will try
to help.
~Bill

Last edited:
Scalp said:

In order to prepare for the test, you must get the book and study well
before the course. The on-line practice test can be downloaded at:
http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/internet/insmt-gst.nsf/en/h_sf05378e.html

In other words, you learn the exam material first, then take the course
before you write the exam. It is far too much to learn in just one weekend.
I studied for weeks and wrote the practice test 24 times before actually
writing the final exam.

If you require help in understanding some concepts, call contact me and I will try
to help.
~Bill

Cool...Thanks for the info Bill. I am a ways from studying and getting ready for the exam, but this will be good reference info when I get to that point.

gb

Yeah, well, you young whipper-snapper :censor: should be able to blow my socks off when writing exams; my brain has been fried since the '60's. Let's see what you can do!
~Bill :doh: :whoops:

Toyota Trails has asked me to do a write-up on the HAM radio thing at our club. How can I do that when nobody else has their Basic HAM license yet? Apart from Bruce Davie, nobody else has firmly committed themselves to getting their BASIC soon. I need to know who is studying and getting ready for the course and exam. How about it guys? I think that Garry B and Gord Pritchard have qualifications, maybe they could help me get something together.
~Bill

I do have my advanced, and would be happy to help

So far, only Gord, Garry B, and myself are licenced to operate the VHF radios, as far as I know. One step at a time.
Ron Kolody has offered his course in one of two ways:
One way is to have the course on two Saturdays of 8 hours each in February, and people would definitely have to study through the week.
The other way is to have a month of Saturday afternoons, starting in February. In either case, homework study will be necessary. There is a lot to learn.

Now, at this point, I need a show of hands what you want to do.
Also, I need a committment from you that you will show up for the arranged course. We will need $75. each up front in good faith before I will book the times. The course text will be another $26. approx on top of that. If the course does not go ahead, naturally I will refund your money.

So, who's in? I NEED TO KNOW NOW!

~Bill

Last edited:
Hi Bill,

I'm in. I'll give you the money this Saturday. I prefer the 2 X 8 hr approach. That way, we get it over with and write the exam. Saturday, February 4 is out for me though, as I will be away on business.

Bruce
A2B

Major Edit===

I vote for the two day...giver er...approach as well.

I could do any of the three Satudays, full days on Feb 25th, Mar 4th and/or Mar 11th with study time inbetween those dates.

I can not put together four 1/2 days in a row in Feb or March.

gb

Last edited:
Its hard to get weekends when all of us are all available. I'm probably out of town Feb 21 to March 10.
How about Feb 11 and Feb 18? Greg, can you make it on Feb 18?
~Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom