Club radio purchase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A2B in a TLC said:
Bill and I are currently studying for the exam. Certainly necessary.

B

Cool.

Got your message. I've not done much research with this communications method Bruce.

gb

Get it all

Just picked up a Yaesu ft-60r

This radio will also work with the FRS radios.

But as I warned before there are unknowns. The ft-60r will not transmitt past 50 feet on 170megs after the mods. It recieves OK, but many radios work to various degrees outside the 144-148 the design was focused on. There are some hams that know all this stuff, and there is information on the Internet showing charts on how these radios actually perform after the mods. The unit I got was work related, and might have to be returned if an antenna swap doesn't get the range up. Other than that it's a great radio that will take AA batteries as well as NIMH that it comes with.

VE7 IDQ

Very Cool

The fact that so many of you are interested in getting your HAM tickets is incredible. This is a great club!

If we get this happening I will bring a HF rig on the next trip, and an inverted V Antenna so we can do a little chatting to Italy or Mexico in the evening.

I've had my ticket for many years now, but just haven't had the time to use it. It's a great hobby with some interesting side benifits. I work with PEP here in the province, and they are always looking for more HAM's to be on standby in an emergency.

Good Luck to everyone taking the test.

P.S. I made my advanced as well, now that one requires some studying

Garry

I've been studying the Ham Radio Study Notes for the Canadian Basic Exam, and there is indeed a lot to learn. You know, when we get a driver's lisence, we don't have to learn all about the internal workings of the automatic transmission or the fuel injection system of our vehicle. Why then, just to get a Ham Basic operator's ticket, do we have to learn about the emitter and negative bias voltage of grids in obsolete vacuum tubes, as well as esoteric terms like capacitive reactance, impedance at resonance, and isotropic radiators? Obviously, if you intend to become a designer, builder or installer of Ham staions, then this kind of knowledge is necessary. But just for an operator to be able to use a VHF for recreational or industrial communication, then I'd say that forcing us to swallow all this technical data is meaningless overkill. Maybe it keeps bureaucrats working, I don't know. I know a fellow who passed his Basic plus 5 wpm Morse and is now considered a Ham. I asked him some simple questions about simplex and duplex use, and he didn't have a clue. He said he just crammed for the test, and now does not remember much of anything except how to call the marina when he wants to dock his boat. Anyway, I'm now memorizing polarization via element orientation and hope it doesn't clog my memory later for something more useful in the real world. Cheers,
~Bill :banana:

Last edited:
Jeez, I thought the new "no morse" license was supposed to be easy? Maybe that was just in the States?

There are several reasons to have a reasonable level of knowledge to get an amateur radio license.

Generally, the more complex and tuneable the equipment is for a given service, the more knowledge you need to operate it properly, and without causing interference. Amateur transceivers in general are more complex to use, so you need more knowledge. Commercial and consumer radios are simple and restrictive, so virtually no knowledge is needed.

There also needs to be a "filter" to prevent the ham bands from becoming like the CB band did. The exam is a demonstration of commitment and seriousness to the hobby which has been highly regarded for its integrity for nearly 100 years.

Amateur radio is not intended for industrial or "recreational" use. In fact it is actually illegal to use the amateur bands for commercial purposes (you would learn that in the licensing process). It is certainly legitimately used in recreational settings, but not operated like CB or FRS or GMRS.

The original name for amateur radio is "amatuer experimental radio" and was intended for those that have an interest in radio theory and techniques. It is used much more liberally these days, but the entry requirements are justified. Be happy that it's as easy as it is to get a license now. When I got my license 28 years ago, you needed the equivalent knowledge of an electronics diploma and CW (morse code) skills at 10 WPM just to get on the air. Then you had to operate on CW for a year then take an even more difficult technical exam and 15 WPM test so you could connect a microphone and talk. Too many people failed so IC made it easy to get a license in order to keep the numbers up, otherwise the bands could be lost to commercial interests.

If you just want to talk to each other with a minimum of effort, buy some FSR or GMRS radios. There is no guarantee that a VHF handheld will be effective to call for help from a remote location in the bush anyway. If you have an interest in the technical aspects of radio, then go for the ham ticket.

I hope this puts it in perspective a little. Good luck.
Tom

Thanks Tom, for your input and knowledge. We, as novice maybe Ham wanabees, obviously have a lot to learn and we respect your continued contribution to this thread.

What started all this, was our need to communicate in our Land Cruisers while out in the bush. We have tried CBs, FRS and GMRS systems in the past and, for the most part, often found them less than ideal. I guess the hope now is that this FM VHF will be a superior system. Also, I have travelled active logging roads in the Chilcotins, and need to let those huge trucks know where we are located on their roads during weekdays.

I think we also have to keep in mind, with all due respect, that times change. The use of cell phones, satelite phones, computers, GPS units, On-Star Navigation, etc. has opened up communications to everybody now and there are different people coming into radio. Many of the old timers in Ham are gone now, their numbers are dropping fast. Who will take their place? I suspect that the former world of hobby Ham experimenters is morphing into something much broader and widespread. I suspect that kids now are much more interested in exploring computer communication over the Web, then they are dreaming of purchasing expensive Ham equipment which they probably can't afford.

We at Coastal Cruisers, consider ourselves to be a responsible, civic minded club, and we will actively encourage our members to get their Ham Basic qualification and conduct themselves in an appropriate manner in our use of these radios. Most members are in their 30's and 40's, so they are not wild kids out for a screaming good time in the woods.
On the other hand, most of us are not much interested in radio theory and experiment. We just want a better, more reliable system than those we have tried, and we're not really interested in regenerative receivers and continuous wave shapers.

~Bill

Last edited:
Antenna Swap

The Yaesu work out very, very well after the antenna was swapped with one a HAM friend had here in Squamish. Since it also does function as an FRS radio it might be worth your consideration. Anyone getting any HAM rig, and using it to monitor logging frequencies, or marine might need such an antenna to get the best results. Wideband antennas have come a long way, and make all the difference.

Hang in, you'll never regret getting the license

Garry

ft-60r $270 at Comwest

Hi Garry,

What is the freq range for FRS? I assume that it was the free band mod that allowed your 60R to operate FRS?

Thanks,

Bruce

In answer to my own question:

FRS=462.5625-467.7125 MHz
:)

B

Well, I've been self-testing myself on the online Basic Amateur License ICP quiz and I'm up to the 73% level now. As long as I don't get any brain damage from the Christmas Party, I guess I'm just about ready to take the real test in January.
~Bill

Last edited:
Hi Bruce:
Yeah, 70% is just a pass and I'm studying about 1 hour a night, so it won't be long. I will probably take the course later too, if enough people are interested in joining. Cheers,
~Bill :banana:

Last edited:
Hi Bill. I'll be there too.

I've been studying/reading as much as I can. About an hour a day. The American Radio Relay League has some really great publications. Just have to remember that some of the license info is for USA only. The theory stuff is excellent.

Bruce

Good for you, Bruce. We can talk radio-talk and quiz each other at the Christmas party!
I'm getting a bit more interested in radio theory as I learn more about it. I just did the practise test again and got only 70% this time. I guess my forgetting rate is now matched by my learning rate, a process I term Cognative Impedance!
~Bill

Last edited:
If I may add...

I am also a recent Ham licensee for the purpose of wheeling. I also spent a lot of time studying. I apprectiate the frustration with the useless information about radios, and frankly, the real lack of very practical information that you need to learn to actually use a radio effectively!

However, the comparison to getting a license to drive a car, vs. a license to drive a Radio are not quite the same. Typically, when you buy a car, it comes completely assembled and ready to drive, already tested to meet applicable laws, and the manufacturer maintains liability for its compliance and safety. In radio, with the exception of a few all-in-one hand held units, you generally 'build' your own system, selecting antennas, amps, tuners, base stations, power supplies, etc. And YOU are responsible for it if a transmission causes the neighbour's 58" TV's cathode ray tube to set up a harmonic and explode. That's why there's all the theory... as when you get 250W of transmission power (up to 1000W at the advanced level - compared to 4W with CB) there comes a certain responsibility beyond just knowing the rules of the road.

Furthermore, it's not Industry Canada that really makes the rules. They do make the local rules, but they must also ensure that they are in alignment with international standards that have been long established for radio operations. Canada does not want to become a 'rogue nation' of untrained radio operators while the rest of the world has well trainned users.

Finally, as a registered society, I believe you can actually purchase a VHF channel, just like a cab company/courier/emergency service. Once you own that frequency, you can get cheap radios, program them in with your channels, and give them out to your club members, who don't need a license to operate on those frequencies... just the club's permission. This is how the 'forestry road' channels work.

Peter 'VA6TPR' Straub

Behemoth60 said:
If I may add...

Finally, as a registered society, I believe you can actually purchase a VHF channel, just like a cab company/courier/emergency service. Once you own that frequency, you can get cheap radios, program them in with your channels, and give them out to your club members, who don't need a license to operate on those frequencies... just the club's permission. This is how the 'forestry road' channels work.

Peter 'VA6TPR' Straub

Ooooh..I like that train of thought. Get on it Bill...so i dont have to take the test :grinpimp:

Hit those books boys!

Hi Peter:
Thanks for your input. You are right that building and operating a Ham radio is complex and we must be well trained in order to do it right. 'Course, we are just buying hand-helds and no actual assembly is required. Still, I'm in favour of getting my Ham License soon, as I have passed the practice internet quiz 8 times with a highest mark of 80% so far.

I would like to think that our use of VHF will evolve into more than simple chat between Cruisers out in the woods. We may eventually use repeaters for emergency contact or even just to telephone home.
Further, any emergency out there is not just some remote idea. According to the B.C. Forest Service Council, nine logging truck drivers have died due to crashes on the busy logging roads in B.C. this year. The Council's Trucksafe Group, is appealing to the B.C. government to bring in a new B.C. Resource Roads Act to help restore safety to B.C. resource roads. The number of accidents has tripled over last year, mainly because of the rush to harvest the beetle-killed wood to market, as well as an industry wide move to piece-work, variable work shifts, greater productivity, and compression of available work into shorter time periods when stumpage rates are lowest. So, we just might need to attend to some emergency or at least let the logging companies know that we are on their roads and don't wish to become road-kill.

So Jeff, I don't know what it would cost to buy our own frequency, but I honestly feel that we need much more than that. I know the Ham requirements are time consuming and require lots of study and memorization. But after all, if an old burned-out fart like me can do it, then you young studs should find it a breeze! I challenge any of you to beat me in the Basic Exam and if you beat me, the beer's on me. :beer:
~Bill

Last edited:
Hi Bill,

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year.

I should be ready for the exam by Jan 8th. Just have to find the time to really sit down and study. And since I am on holidays and now have my new VX-6r, its time. I have been programming in over 100 repeaters, trying to anticipate where we might drive or off-road in SW BC. I'll get together w Greg B and clone his VX-6r for him.

BTW, even though the amateur handhelds are not approved for FRS/GMRS/CB, on many units you can program these frequencies. I can recieve on all and tx on FRS/GMRS. Must take care to keep the tx watts to legal limit (FRS is the only issue w a handheld).

Take care Bill and I look fwd to talking to you again soon. And to all my Coastal Cruiser friends, "Have a great New Year!"

Bruce
A2B in a TLC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom