Closing and Opening up the Cabin (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yup, heading up tomorrow (5/10) for few days. Will check on local conditions. The first trip each year we usually have to cut our way in from the winter storm tree-fall. One year we had such a big pine across the forest road I had to set up my straps and pull it off with the Land Cruiser. Frankly, my wife and I are beginning to wonder when we will be too old to continue the annual effort. By the time we make our way in, rebuild the stairs to the beach, reconnect the solar system batteries and open things up for the season, it's a couple days of hard work! Rinse and repeat. Of course it's all worth it when we see the moose tracks, hear the wolves howl, watch big storms roll in off the lake and feast on wild blueberry pancakes. ;)
Where is your cabin? I want to go there!!!

Yup, heading up tomorrow (5/10) for few days. Will check on local conditions. The first trip each year we usually have to cut our way in from the winter storm tree-fall. One year we had such a big pine across the forest road I had to set up my straps and pull it off with the Land Cruiser. Frankly, my wife and I are beginning to wonder when we will be too old to continue the annual effort. By the time we make our way in, rebuild the stairs to the beach, reconnect the solar system batteries and open things up for the season, it's a couple days of hard work! Rinse and repeat. Of course it's all worth it when we see the moose tracks, hear the wolves howl, watch big storms roll in off the lake and feast on wild blueberry pancakes. ;)
That’s what you have kids for right? Lol

Cabin ownership and opening/closing in the northern states is similar to a bird migration.

Will you be in the area July 15-17? That’s when I’ll be coming through

Bagh, the last day of my summer classes is that Friday. I'll see if there's an option to take the exam early and maybe I can meet up with you guys. Grand Marais is only a few hours from Houghton.

Also I went out there last week and wildcat is seriously flooded.

IMG_1028.JPG
IMG_1026.JPG
IMG_1027.JPG

IMG_0978.JPG
IMG_0987.JPG

Bagh, the last day of my summer classes is that Friday. I'll see if there's an option to take the exam early and maybe I can meet up with you guys. Grand Marais is only a few hours from Houghton.

Also I went out there last week and wildcat is seriously flooded.

View attachment 3006112View attachment 3006115View attachment 3006116

View attachment 3006118View attachment 3006119
Friday I’ll spend most of the day driving up from Grand Rapids. Planning to meet people in whitefish and then head as a group out to i think vermillion point for our camping. Taking W dune road to where it ends east of weatherhogs lake, google maps satellite view has me eying a nice little camp spot at 46.759258, -85.105480

Will camp and hike/ explore from there on Friday then Saturday finish up into grand marais and find a campsite for Saturday night

Friday I’ll spend most of the day driving up from Grand Rapids. Planning to meet people in whitefish and then head as a group out to i think vermillion point for our camping. Taking W dune road to where it ends east of weatherhogs lake, google maps satellite view has me eying a nice little camp spot at 46.759258, -85.105480

Will camp and hike/ explore from there on Friday then Saturday finish up into grand marais and find a campsite for Saturday night
Decent bar micro brew in Grand Marias.

We just got back from opening the cabin up for the summer. The snow had just melted off the drive in; just a few small patches remained. Trout opener is the last weekend in April so the county grades the road from the winter's mess as far as the Reed and Greed bridge on CO 410. From there we are on our own. We had 3 sizable trees to cut through (love my Ego electric chainsaw) but none were large enough to need Land Cruiser pulling power and it's only 2.8 rough miles from the bridge to get in. It was unseasonably hot. 84F one day, which is absolutely unheard of on the shore of Lake Superior in early May. The first photo is the LC at the cabin, where things still looked winterish. My bossy border collie was supervising the unloading to make sure we got his pile of toys. The second photo is from one of the trail cams we leave set up all winter taking one photo every day, as well as photos of any activity. The drifts are amazing; much higher than the Land Cruiser where we would be parking.

For those headed to the eastern U.P.........this month so far is very dry on the ground. There is a high fire danger in much of the area. The roads are easily passable, with the exception of those along or crossing a river or stream because the recent major snowmelt caused a large seasonal rise in water. It was an odd year, with deep snow until a short time ago, then very warm with quick melt and surface drying. Any forest road travel in remote areas of the eastern U.P. should have a saw, axe, shovel, and tow strap. The tow strap is to help other stuck vehicles blocking the road, or to help move heavy downed trees. No bugs yet, chuckle, chuckle.

Edit, note the plastic owl on the ground in front of the LC. That's to scare away the chipmunk who likes to pack the engine compartment with acorns.

Cabin Opening.jpg

Cabin Winter.jpg

Big fire in Pigeon River forest. It's extremely dry around T.C..

We just got back from opening the cabin up for the summer. The snow had just melted off the drive in; just a few small patches remained. Trout opener is the last weekend in April so the county grades the road from the winter's mess as far as the Reed and Greed bridge on CO 410. From there we are on our own. We had 3 sizable trees to cut through (love my Ego electric chainsaw) but none were large enough to need Land Cruiser pulling power and it's only 2.8 rough miles from the bridge to get in. It was unseasonably hot. 84F one day, which is absolutely unheard of on the shore of Lake Superior in early May. The first photo is the LC at the cabin, where things still looked winterish. My bossy border collie was supervising the unloading to make sure we got his pile of toys. The second photo is from one of the trail cams we leave set up all winter taking one photo every day, as well as photos of any activity. The drifts are amazing; much higher than the Land Cruiser where we would be parking.

For those headed to the eastern U.P.........this month so far is very dry on the ground. There is a high fire danger in much of the area. The roads are easily passable, with the exception of those along or crossing a river or stream because the recent major snowmelt caused a large seasonal rise in water. It was an odd year, with deep snow until a short time ago, then very warm with quick melt and surface drying. Any forest road travel in remote areas of the eastern U.P. should have a saw, axe, shovel, and tow strap. The tow strap is to help other stuck vehicles blocking the road, or to help move heavy downed trees. No bugs yet, chuckle, chuckle.

Edit, note the plastic owl on the ground in front of the LC. That's to scare away the chipmunk who likes to pack the engine compartment with acorns.

View attachment 3008735

View attachment 3008736
Thanks for the update! Can i skip the axe and just bring a chain saw?

Thanks for the update! Can i skip the axe and just bring a chain saw?
That’s what I do. Carrying a chainsaw is why I MUCH prefer cordless electric.

That’s what I do. Carrying a chainsaw is why I MUCH prefer cordless electric.
Would love to know your real world opinion on the electric chainsaw? I have been hesitant to get one as I’m unsure of their durability and how long they go on a charge.
Anyone have an electric log splitter? I have been thinking on getting one of those as well.

Would love to know your real world opinion on the electric chainsaw? I have been hesitant to get one as I’m unsure of their durability and how long they go on a charge.
Anyone have an electric log splitter? I have been thinking on getting one of those as well.
I’ve done a lot of research on the electrics, what it sounds like is you get 30-60 cuts on a 12” log depending on brand and battery. Perfect for overlanding

I have and strongly recommend the Ego brand saw. The battery that comes with it is perfect for me; about the time it runs out I need a break. I’ll guess at about 40 minutes. It recharges fast. All Ego brand batteries fit all Ego tools so if you want more time cutting you can get a battery 3 times the capacity. I do a lot of cutting since I heat both my cabin and my house with wood (though I have a regular NG furnace in my home too). The Ego saws are so powerful, versatile, and reliable that I sold all 3 of my Stihl gas saws and use just the Egos now, one at home and one at the cabin. I do have a bunch of batteries because I also have a blower, weed whip, snowblower, and lawnmower. The only thing I’ve had to replace on either saw in 5 years use is the chain.

Edit: I should note that all the major manufacturers of outdoor power equipment now offer a complete line of cordless electric. Even the commercial units have come on-line with wearable backpack type batteries that last for hours.

Last edited:
I picked up a cordless Ryobi chainsaw for around $100, and while I'm not gonna say it's just as good as the more expensive units it definitely gets the job done. I mostly carry it around in my car for clearing trails, chopping firewood, and making impromptu tire chains. Which The electric chainsaws really lend themselves to being as relatively clean and compact as they are. Now that I'm on some property though I've thought about upgrading to one of Ryobi's larger brushless offerings (I'm waist deep in the 18v platform and have more batteries than I'd ever reasonably need) but I've yet to have trouble with my current one.
IMG_0722.JPG
IMG_0991.JPG

I picked up a cordless Ryobi chainsaw for around $100, and while I'm not gonna say it's just as good as the more expensive units it definitely gets the job done. I mostly carry it around in my car for clearing trails, chopping firewood, and making impromptu tire chains. Which The electric chainsaws really lend themselves to being as relatively clean and compact as they are. Now that I'm on some property though I've thought about upgrading to one of Ryobi's larger brushless offerings (I'm waist deep in the 18v platform and have more batteries than I'd ever reasonably need) but I've yet to have trouble with my current one. View attachment 3012133View attachment 3012134
I forgot how hard you wheel that poor GX

No, I won't be at the cabin that week. I just (yesterday, June 19) got back from my last trip there until August. I made it out 12 hours before the monster rains came to Luce County. Some areas, including roads I use around Muskellonge State Park, were massively flooded and washed out by storms that dumped up to 3.5" of rain in just a few hours. Some of the roads will be impassable until the county gets in there and does some major repair. They should be ok in a month, but what a dump of water!

No, I won't be at the cabin that week. I just (yesterday, June 19) got back from my last trip there until August. I made it out 12 hours before the monster rains came to Luce County. Some areas, including roads I use around Muskellonge State Park, were massively flooded and washed out by storms that dumped up to 3.5" of rain in just a few hours. Some of the roads will be impassable until the county gets in there and does some major repair. They should be ok in a month, but what a dump of water!
That sounds amazing! Hope everything at the cabin is ok!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom