Closing and Opening up the Cabin (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sandroad

SILVER Star
Threads
I posted this over in the 200 section and figured I'd repost here for local interest.

Hauling duties closing up the cabin on the Michigan shore of Lake Superior at the end of the season. DEEP snow will come soon. The LC is its usual two-tone brandywine and sand after a typically rough traverse through the dunes along an old Coast Guard access trail. The utility trailer is full of the usual camp detritus that will be going straight to the landfill.

lccabin-jpg.2825688

Last edited:
The annual chore, we are closing ours this coming weekend. We’re in Lake County, right on a trail, so quite a bit south of yours 😂

I posted this over in the 200 section and figured I'd repost here for local interest.

Hauling duties closing up the cabin on the Michigan shore of Lake Superior at the end of the season. DEEP snow will come soon. The LC is its usual two-tone brandywine and sand after a typically rough traverse through the dunes along an old Coast Guard access trail. The utility trailer is full of the usual camp detritus that will be going straight to the landfill.

lccabin-jpg.2825688
curious about these dunes, got any pics?

curious about these dunes, got any pics?
Sure, lots. I’ll dig some up and post a few. It’s basically the area between Whitefish Point and Grand Marais.

If you happen to be a member of the TLCA, there is a more complete story about the Lake Superior Coast Guard Road I wrote for Toyota Trails in the July/August 2020 issue with the title “Duty Bound”.

Last edited:
Sure, lots. I’ll dig some up and post a few. It’s basically the area between Whitefish Point and Grand Marais.

If you happen to be a member of the TLCA, there is a more complete story about the Lake Superior Coast Guard Road I wrote for Toyota Trails in the July/August 2020 issue with the title “Duty Bound”.
just read the article. extremely cool! is the road public access or land owners only? is it worth driving as part of a larger UP trip?

Love that shoreline.

just read the article. extremely cool! is the road public access or land owners only? is it worth driving as part of a larger UP trip?
Public! The forest roads in the eastern U.P. are mostly in Lake Superior State Forest and open for all. The Coast Guard road is public and a great place to hone sand driving skills. The section of that road going east from the Reed and Green State Forest Campground (where the county road crosses the Big Two-Hearted Rive)r is used by trout anglers a lot. The Coast Guard Road is an out and back type trip, probably around an hour. The far east end is a turn-around in the dunes and from there you can take hikes in the dunes or along the river. Take bug repellant. A good map of Luce and Chippewa Counties will have miles of interesting roads. The very rough county road out to the old Crisp Point Lighthouse from Little Lake can be a hoot in the early spring, even for a Land Cruiser (though no problem at all). I highly recommend getting some forest road time in the area on a U.P. trip. If you are camping, there are many state forest campground that are well maintained and in nice settings. Stay off the official state designated ORV trails. They are too narrow for a Land Cruiser and you can end up with deep pinstripes. Plus, they take a state ORV sticker.

Thanks for the info! ill have to figure out a trip to include this in!

as for ORV trails, the ones we want are marked as ORV Route, which are wide enough for cars. i have my stickers since silver lake sand dunes is one of my favorite places to ride.

Thanks for the info! ill have to figure out a trip to include this in!

as for ORV trails, the ones we want are marked as ORV Route, which are wide enough for cars. i have my stickers since silver lake sand dunes is one of my favorite places to ride.
Silver Lake is a favorite of mine too. Several years when I had my 100, I organized a meet up at the park. It was a hoot camping at the state park campground full of sand buggies and pickups with huge tires. It’s a different demographic!

On the trails…….yes, the ORV routes can be negotiated in a truck/car/SUV. But, my reference to them being too narrow is because they are not necessarily trimmed back very wide and you can get spectacular pinstripes in your paint from the jack pine. There’s lots to explore without getting free pinstriping too.

I've been near there in Cruisers and on snowmobiles. Such a great area. Here's some pics from back in 2016 not long after the fire. We were at the mouth of the Two Hearted river fishing.
SAM_0462.JPG
SAM_0468.JPG
SAM_0445.JPG
20160522_191610.jpg

The Lake Superior shoreline and adjacent lands are a treasure and we're extremely fortunate to have a significant chunk of it accessible.

The Lake Superior shoreline and adjacent lands are a treasure and we're extremely fortunate to have a significant chunk of it accessible.
This is awesome and glad I found you guys. we are planning a ~3 week trip with the 200 this summer around the great lakes towing a travel trailer. I am going to study the suggestion here as we are planning most of the trip to be between Marquette and Traverse city... definitely planning to hit the dunes at sliver lake on the way back to Atlanta!!! as noted by others, I may have to query you guys for intel! thanks again.

This is awesome and glad I found you guys. we are planning a ~3 week trip with the 200 this summer around the great lakes towing a travel trailer. I am going to study the suggestion here as we are planning most of the trip to be between Marquette and Traverse city... definitely planning to hit the dunes at sliver lake on the way back to Atlanta!!! as noted by others, I may have to query you guys for intel! thanks again.
silver lake sand dunes is a must, as well as all over the UP. check out drummond island as well!
Mackinac island is 100% worth the trip, theres a really nice state campground in st ignace, but i recommend trying to stay on the island for at least one night, its a ton of fun! in the traverse city area, suttons bay and northport are wonderful little towns, (check out hop lot brewing in suttons bay) if you hit silver lake on a weekend theres a good chance ill be up there, i try to go twice a month after it opens.

silver lake sand dunes is a must, as well as all over the UP. check out drummond island as well!
Mackinac island is 100% worth the trip, theres a really nice state campground in st ignace, but i recommend trying to stay on the island for at least one night, its a ton of fun! in the traverse city area, suttons bay and northport are wonderful little towns, (check out hop lot brewing in suttons bay) if you hit silver lake on a weekend theres a good chance ill be up there, i try to go twice a month after it opens.
Thanks for this! once we confirm dates, I will pass on. If you happen to be going, maybe I could tag along!

Thanks for this! once we confirm dates, I will pass on. If you happen to be going, maybe I could tag along!
for sure! ill be leading a group to drummond island july 29-31, and will be taking a group to windrock park/nemo tunnel june 23-26 but other than that im mostly around. i have a unscheduled 3-4 day weekend im planning to use on exploring the sand road/ tahquamenon falls.

i think august 13 is the toyota takeover at silver lake sand dunes led by new holland overland. that had over 100 rigs last year.

Thanks again. Any suggestions on taking the family for a sailing trip in July? thinking we would do this in the Traverse City area? thanks again!

i dont know much about sailing, i do know theres a active sailing community up there.

Thanks again. Any suggestions on taking the family for a sailing trip in July? thinking we would do this in the Traverse City area? thanks again!
The Inland Seas Educational Association has a variety of public sails in the Traverse City and Suttons Bay area all summer. Their 2022 schedule is not set up yet, but if something works out for you family’s timing in July, I highly recommend getting on their ship. I’ve sailed with them many times as faculty on some of their college level Great Lakes courses and it’s always been a great experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom