Clicking sounds from belts or radiator fan? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Changed headlight bulbs this am, and heard this on start-up..... no immediately obvious place where this is coming from....

cracked fan blade? or something whacking around in the shroud like some tree material?

Following as I have a nearly identical sound/issue. I replaced the valve cover seal several weeks ago and the sound started (or at least I noticed it) shortly after that. Could it be the timing chain tensioner? Also, does the noise go away or decrease after the engine has warmed up?

IME sometimes an intermitant squeaky belt can sound like a bad bearing or something else more serious. Take a garden hose and spray water directly on the moving belts (stand back). If the noise goes away for a second or two and comes back you have the answer.

IME sometimes an intermitant squeaky belt can sound like a bad bearing or something else more serious. Take a garden hose and spray water directly on the moving belts (stand back). If the noise goes away for a second or two and comes back you have the answer.
He means if it goes away doing that, then it's the belts are not tensioned properly or bad belts.

Once you have the belts off, then spin the idler pulley(s) to make sure they're not rough.

Mine has made that noise forever and I have never worked it out. It sounds exactly the same and it goes away after a few minutes once its warmed up.

He means if it goes away doing that, then it's the belts are not tensioned properly or bad belts.

Once you have the belts off, then spin the idler pulley(s) to make sure they're not rough.

Also, turn on the AC, if sound goes away the clutch bearing on the compressor needs replacing

Mine has had the exact same noise also for about a year. Only shows up when it gets close to freezing outside and it only last for under a minute. I tried new Toyota belts and new idlers . Pitch definitely changes with the a/c . That’s my next step although here in AZ it hasn’t made a peep until the cold snap we had last week and I’ve ran the a/c all summer with no issues. Almost forgot I even had a problem until then. Definitely waiting to see if anyone comes up with a solution.

Mine has had the exact same noise also for about a year. Only shows up when it gets close to freezing outside and it only last for under a minute. I tried new Toyota belts and new idlers . Pitch definitely changes with the a/c . That’s my next step although here in AZ it hasn’t made a peep until the cold snap we had last week and I’ve ran the a/c all summer with no issues. Almost forgot I even had a problem until then. Definitely waiting to see if anyone comes up with a solution.

its play in the AC clutch bearing,
when AC engaged, the bearing is out of the question and spins as a solid unit (a bit like my Harley's primary !)
when AC disengaged, any play in the bearing will make noise and probably go away after a bit of heat gets into it

easy to check, remove the ac belt and see if you can wiggle the AC pulley front to rear

Remove the AC belt (as above) and listen again.

New compressor from RckAuto is about the same price as a compressor bearing.

Mine does this too, but knowing the source, I'm just running it waiting for the compressor to die.

Belts properly tensioned all around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom