Cleaning Out Empty Metal Jerry Gas Cans (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Palo Alto, California & Squamish, British Columbia
Don't know if this is the right part of the forum to post this question but here goes.

I have two year-old jerry cans, metal ones. I used them on a recent camping trips. They're empty now and I am wondering the properly way to clean and store them for my next strip to minimize gasoline residues. Any advice?

I google searched "cleaning metal jerry cans" but I keep getting advice on how to restore old, rusty cans, not how to store non-rusty, relatively new ones.

If they are to be stored empty, a light coat of oil will keep the surface rust at bay and not cause any future problems. You can buy fogging oil in spray cans.

To be totally anal - after you've gotten out all the gas you can you can dump some alcohol in there to rinse out the last of the gas. What alcohol is left will evaporate really fast. Fogging oil is no a bad idea either to be totally thorough.

I've got jerry cans back in oz that are 30+ years old. Of course they usually have diesel in them, so I've never bothered to do anything with them in terms of cleaning for storage. Cans are stored for a year or two between trips.

The one petrol (for small honda minibikes) jerry just gets emptied out and the lid left open to prevent rusting from moisture.

I don't see the need to worry about 'residues' (whatever they are)... I'd be more worried about junk in the fuel station storage tanks...

There's a reason we have rather large fuel filters in our vehicles.

cheers,
george.

yours are pretty new but always good to keep an eye on possible paint flakes coming off the inside. Great way to clog up your fuel system...

Thanks for all the tips. I'm going just let them dry out and spray some fogging oil.

You can always take them to a radiator shop or somewhere with a hot tank to get them cleaned out.

You can use a little lacquer thinner to break up the residue and then wash it using hot water and dish soap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom