Cleaning Injectors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have read where some of you have cleaned your fuel injectors.

I presume this is a recommended PM for 100k plus truck?

How involved is this for a do-it-yourselfer? I have done everyting else myself, mods, birfs, etc., but have yet to do "get into" the engine.

My local Firestone (trustworthy guys in my experience) are offering the following service for $50:

*fuel system and injector cleaning
*remove intake valve & combustion chamber deposits

Is this something I can trust them with or better off doing it myself?

Thanks for you thoughts.

I've never done it myself on the LC, but I'm pretty sure the shops in my neigborhood use the 3M stuff (see link). It goes right into the fuel rail while the engine is running. I suspect my dealer uses the same thing, but charges a lot more (it's about $100 to have them do it).

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/MAN101_TTW425.html

Toyota sells some very corrosive injector cleaner you dump in the gas tank. I was talking to a parts guy in Colorado that said Toyota had a problem with the stuff eating the can sitting on the shelf. They sell BG44K cleaner now.
The Toyota cleaner comes with a warning card that says to run the tank through right away after dumping it in the tank as it will eat the tank and or lines.
I like BG44K as it cleans out carbon too. I don't know which is better to clean the injectors. I don't know how often you should add cleaner either???
kurt

You can tell if your Injectors are worn out, By giving the Engine a quick rev.
If you see a bit of Grey Smoke out of the Exhaust, The Injectors are worn.

Unless you people are so silly and are talking about a Petrol Engine. :-* :flipoff2:

Hey, I like diesels just like the next guy. Personally, I like them best when they're in someone else's vehicle. Here in the states, it's more expensive to run a diesel than a gasoline engine. Plus they stink, they smoke, they vibrate, they're loud, and they take a few annoying seconds to start - more if it's cold.

Other than that, I think they're great powerplants :) In someone else's vehicle. Helps reduce demand pressure on gasoline so I can continue to enjoy those low fuel prices compared to the rest of the developed world in my quiet, smooth, gasoline engine.

IdahoDoug

[quote author=landtoy80 link=board=2;threadid=4490;start=msg34731#msg34731 date=1061795243]
Toyota sells some very corrosive injector cleaner you dump in the gas tank.
[/quote]

Part # 08813-00080

If I remember correctly. I havn't noticed much improvement with it, but maybe that's because I run it twice a year :)

[quote author=IdahoDoug link=board=2;threadid=4490;start=msg35075#msg35075 date=1061880024]
Hey, I like diesels just like the next guy. Personally, I like them best when they're in someone else's vehicle. Here in the states, it's more expensive to run a diesel than a gasoline engine. Plus they stink, they smoke, they vibrate, they're loud, and they take a few annoying seconds to start - more if it's cold.

[snip]...
IdahoDoug
[/quote]

Hey, I've used my father-in-law's Toyota Crown turbo diesel...it started up fast (turn the key towards you for the glow plugs, then away to start up), didnt' belch any smoke, wasn't loud...inside, you couldn't even tell it was a diesel, as it was as quiet as any gasoline sedan. When going uphill, with 5 adults pulling up a mountain, it felt like it had a V8 under the hood! I think you're referring to the noisy, black-smoke belching diesels as the ones in those Dodge Ram trucks and old Mercedes 240/300's. :) (my neighbor has a Ram...sounds like a Kenworth pulling up the apt. bldg).

The newest Toyota D4D commonrail turbo diesels used in the hilux's are quieter than 70 db (normal human conversation), plus exhaust particulate matter has been reduced to on par w/ those of gasoline engines (I think NO2 was the problem) utilizing a catalytic converter-like device.

Diesel prices vary greatly...I've seen it priced similar to regular, and sometimes the same as premium.

--Jim

Jim,

Um, I have a Dodge/Cummins :'( I kinda like the noise. It's almost as nice as the torque the monster produces. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom