Classifieds Transactions: Red Flags (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First off, let's be clear....99.99% of the members of this site are trustworthy and 99.99% of the transactions occur without issue.

However....there are occasional problems. Some buyer/seller/scammer red flags are:
  • little or no post history...any existing posts are usually all the same few words
  • joined the forum in recent days
  • suddenly posting a bunch of classifieds threads in quick succession
  • prices WAY too good to be true
  • language/communication oddities
  • inbox's you directly, no replies in the thread
  • post or inbox message requests further contact via email or phone
  • requests payment from a non-standard provider (ie: trust Paypal, be wary of others)
  • requests payments through multiple providers, or to other individuals (ie: "my Paypal is screwed up, can you Venmo my girlfriend?")
  • Venmo/Paypal email addy has no resemblance to their name/username/account.
  • insists on payment without fees (ie: never pay via Paypal friends/family)
Also, avoid listing or giving your email or phone number. Don't do it when you list an item, try to avoid doing it when you are in a discussion until you are sure the other party isn't a scammer. Nothing worse than putting your private into out into the world for scammers to data-mine.

KEEP the transaction discussion IN the forum. DO NOT move it to email or phone messaging.

The key is to protect yourself and your transaction. Do your due diligence with any buyer/seller....because a transaction that's seems at all strange or suspicious
probably is.

As frustrating as Paypal can be, it still offers some of the BEST financial protection for your transactions. If a seller has requested a “no fees” type payment request, you have the option in Paypal to pay those fees on the buyers side. The seller gets their full requested amount, but the buyer retains the financial protection should issues arise. Simple math: for USA transactions, it's 2.9% plus $0.30. If you are buying something for $20, you ADD in those fees and use the "service/product" option. ($20 * 1.029) + 0.30 = $20.88. That $0.88 cost is well worth it should a transaction go sour.

If you suspect these types of issues are happening, please REPORT the user/conversation/post and offer a brief description of your suspicions.. Using the forum Reporting system allow better tracking of problem users and can assist in finding patterns that can help block future scammer registrations entirely.

------

The REPORT button is located immediately below every thread and conversation post. That REPORT button gives me the info I need to investigate quickly.

------

When in doubt, REPORT. Better to be wrong and have the account checked versus not reporting at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @woody

Has there been a rise in suspicious seller activity on MUD?

Thanks @woody

Has there been a rise in suspicious seller activity on MUD?
There has. I'm banning a few accounts a week. Fortunately, they seem to have common non US IP addys to track and block.

Recently, I had to block a guy on my phone who I was texting with regarding a "well sorted, low mileage" 80 for sale in San Diego. I found the rig on Facebook Marketplace.

I kept asking for the VIN and he insisted we talk on the phone first. I told him "no VIN, no phone call." Then he started sending me texts in all caps saying "YOU GO TO HELL!!!" followed by a bunch of weird emojis.

Very strange.

I got burned for a couple hundred bux on FMP a year or so ago. The people perpetrating this kind of fraud are smart and practiced. They know what buttons to push for gear heads and what bait to dangle and their script is perfectly rehearsed. I know better and I still fell for it.

Thanks to Woody for pointing out that Paypal fees (and fraud protection) can be paid on the Buyer's side. I didn't know that and it's cheap insurance.

Woody - does the report button also work the same in conversations? I received a scam response to my post looking for a winch:

1607111257088.png

I have inboxed sellers without responding to the thread before. I didn't know that was frowned upon.

I have inboxed sellers without responding to the thread before. I didn't know that was frowned upon.
It's frowned upon if you are a scammer...it's good etiquette otherwise, letting other members know of your interest in something

As part of a comprehensive approach, why not prohibit for sale posts from those with zero history? Joined today and first post is a for sale ad just shouldn't be a thing. You're average scammer isn't going to take the time to post 20 or 30 meaningful posts in order to run their game.

As part of a comprehensive approach, why not prohibit for sale posts from those with zero history? Joined today and first post is a for sale ad just shouldn't be a thing. You're average scammer isn't going to take the time to post 20 or 30 meaningful posts in order to run their game.
Or more likely, 20-30 "me too" posts to pad their count. Been there, seen that. Scammers won't. But the 40-50 REAL members who join daily will complain incessantly if that requirement was in place. I can't count the complaints now on little things that don't activate until a member reaches 10 posts...

And actually, it's not the POSTS that are an issue...it's private messaging. But again, when 85% of site traffic is from Google searches and a potential new member uses search to find a possible vehicle to buy, they'll be driven away instantly if there is a post-requirement before they can inbox with a question/offer.

I've added new filters on the admin side, and while the issue will never be gone, it has certainly slowed greatly. I've researched a few additional settings that may be implemented down the road as well.

Of the
40-50 REAL members
who join per day how many really post genuine for sale ads in their first couple of posts or first days of membership?

I agree that should someone come here and is genuinely looking to get into a vehicle they should have a way to get in touch with sellers. The flip side to that is more troublesome to me and in terms of potentially fleecing members more in need of control. Overall those ads bring the tone of the place down and while my perception may be skewed and it's not as big a problem as I think, any measure that could limit or dissuade should be explored.
My concerns are in keeping with your first 2 red flags above and I believe some other forums do indeed set some basic limits on for sale postings.
These are just ideas, I'm sure someone else has a better one yet to be expressed.

MUD makes no money from classifieds transactions correct? Protect the buyers. 2 week wait minimum and a non-trivial post count when first joining to sell on MUD. Perhaps ban PMs too to avoid circumventing the rules.

In college there are weed out classes in certain majors. They tend to work, although no one enjoys having to go through them.

Newb here! I found this forum while researching 100s. I would like to purchase a 100 during CY2021 but probably will not pull the trigger soon due to a pending move/"career change" (finishing medical school!). Most of my time here is "research." However, if the right vehicle popped up in my zip code and I was not able to buy b/c of number of posts, that would be very frustrating. Woody, et al. seem to do a great job of running a friendly, knowledgable forum. Just my .02 :)

Last edited:
I've run into a number of scammers here, typically when I post a "Wanted" ad in the Classifieds. Their writing is very good and they come across as real legitimate members. However, the one thing that always hangs them up is photos of the item in question. They ALWAYS use recycled photos from Google or this forum. So, a simple reverse image search on Google will make it very clear whether or not the person is a legit or not. Highly recommend doing it if you're speaking to someone in question.

I've run into a number of scammers here, typically when I post a "Wanted" ad in the Classifieds. Their writing is very good and they come across as real legitimate members. However, the one thing that always hangs them up is photos of the item in question. They ALWAYS use recycled photos from Google or this forum. So, a simple reverse image search on Google will make it very clear whether or not the person is a legit or not. Highly recommend doing it if you're speaking to someone in question.

Posting a Wanted Ad here on Mud (and most forums) is like throwing chum in the water. Scammers and scumbag flippers are out there just waiting....

I like that @woody has put up a reminder banner.

Or more likely, 20-30 "me too" posts to pad their count. Been there, seen that. Scammers won't. But the 40-50 REAL members who join daily will complain incessantly if that requirement was in place. I can't count the complaints now on little things that don't activate until a member reaches 10 posts...

And actually, it's not the POSTS that are an issue...it's private messaging. But again, when 85% of site traffic is from Google searches and a potential new member uses search to find a possible vehicle to buy, they'll be driven away instantly if there is a post-requirement before they can inbox with a question/offer.

I've added new filters on the admin side, and while the issue will never be gone, it has certainly slowed greatly. I've researched a few additional settings that may be implemented down the road as well.

That’s a pretty simple screener before you can post FS items IME.

I’m on a Scotty Cameron site that you need 100 posts to sell - gives the locals a chance to scout you out & make sure you’re not selling ‘tribute’ 🙄 -items.

You can still BUY without the 100 posts, but selling takes 100 posts & their forum software is like here where classified ad replies & OT forum don’t count to your 100.

Frankly, it works great & you even need pics with your username & date in pic otherwise it gets deleted.
Tough, but fair.

Esp when basic putters are $350 & can easily go to 5 digits in price, headcovers can be anything from $75 on up, cart bags are ~$1K — and we watch others’ pics to verify items.

—— Like I said, it’s tough getting 100 posts there, but for those who are into the stuff it screens out scammers.

~30 posts here to sell seems reasonable :meh:

Just my no-cash-value opinion. :hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom