Chopping the resonator off....anyone done it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Curious to see if anyone has chopped the resonator off, and kept the stock muffler. If you have sound clip or anything - my goal is to have a nice little grunt but not too loud on long trips with family on board (fwy driving).

My other thought was swapping a 24" Magnaflow muffler, something low-key at least.

My 99 LX sounds awfully quiet. Too quiet.

The resonator is there to reduce/eliminate drone. Remove it and it might just drive you crazy at highway speeds. I'd replace the muffler and/or the resonator but I wouldn't delete either one.

Curious to see if anyone has chopped the resonator off, and kept the stock muffler. If you have sound clip or anything - my goal is to have a nice little grunt but not too loud on long trips with family on board (fwy driving).
My other thought was swapping a 24" Magnaflow muffler, something low-key at least.

It’s a Lexus, it’s supposed to be quiet. Why ruin it?

Yes, no issue at all (it was crushed from picking a stupid line). I had someone just put a turn down to exit behind the tire. No drone, unless I'm just deaf to those frequencies :hillbilly:

I ran it that way for probably 4 years before putting a Magnaflow on it, which has a ton more noise and a bit of drone also.

I cut my resonator off after installing my rear bumper since it became unsightly and exposed. Its slightly throatier but no drone and the difference is minimal.

Yes, no issue at all (it was crushed from picking a stupid line). I had someone just put a turn down to exit behind the tire. No drone, unless I'm just deaf to those frequencies :hillbilly:

I ran it that way for probably 4 years before putting a Magnaflow on it, which has a ton more noise and a bit of drone also.

Perfect. Thanks! I'll leave the muffler alone most likely.

I cut my resonator off after installing my rear bumper since it became unsightly and exposed. Its slightly throatier but no drone and the difference is minimal.

Thanks! I'll take the slightly throatier. I guess that's what I'm looking for.

I just two days ago cut off the stock muffler and replaced it with a 22" Magnaflow. It's super quiet - maybe too quiet? Ughh Just a bit more throaty. No drone. I'm thinking I'll cut the rear resonator off in a few months if I deem it's still too quiet.

Here's a video I just posted on Youtube

I just two days ago cut off the stock muffler and replaced it with a 22" Magnaflow. It's super quiet - maybe too quiet? Ughh Just a bit more throaty. No drone. I'm thinking I'll cut the rear resonator off in a few months if I deem it's still too quiet.

Here's a video I just posted on Youtube

I used my headphones. Sounded pretty loud to me, LOL. Let me know if you cut off the resonator. I think I'll just chop the resonator for now, but I'm definitely looking at Magnaflow if I'm not satisfied. Maybe a 24".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom