Choice of lockers?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ChuckB

SILVER Star
Threads
I want to hear from all you offroad gurus since I have no experience in this matter. Say for some strange reason I can't find an 80 with factory lockers that is worth purchasing. Would if be better to install ARBs or have factory lockers installed?? I like to follow the KISS plan (Keep It Simple Stupid), is one of these choices the better, more reliable, stronger choice? :cheers:

Chuck

C-Dan has done the factory mod but I bet it's expensive. I'd keep looking, better to look out of state or cross country then to go doing this mod or use the OZ solution.

Just my 2-bits. They are out there.

R

Chuck -

Not to worry about lack of experience and knowledge, we've all been there. I second Riley's vote, hold out for a factory lockers setup - you'll be glad you did.

Cheers, R -

Chuck,
I always recommend that someone look for an 80 with lockers if they plan to use the vehicle off-road. There are several reasons:
1. You will almost always pay the same price for a comparable vehicle without lockers as you will for one with lockers. Basically, the F&R diff lock option is "free."
2. The factory implementation is well done. The mechanism is strong and usually trouble-free. On some vehicles you may need to get them working properly first, then excercise them every few weeks.
3. You can get replacement parts from your local Toyota dealer and they can do any maintenance if it is ever needed.
4. Front and rear ARB lockers are expensive (est $2,000) if you have a shop do the install.
5. ARB lockers are complex; adding an electric air compressor and associated wiring and plumbing. Add more expense if you plan to wire them into the factory switch and indicator lights.
6. Some people complain about leaking oil seals, air leaks, and install problems with the ARB lockers. Probably an equal percentage complain about the OEM lockers being "slow" to engage and having frozen mechanisms from rust and neglect by the PO.

If you find a good 80 without locks that is $3k cheaper than you would expect to pay then go for it. My search took over 3 months and many others have reported the same. A friend bought one (locally too!) with locks after about 3 weeks of searching and he found 3 or 4 w/locks during the time he was looking. Be patient... they are out there.

-B-

...or just go buy a LX450 :D

Thanks guys that's the kind of advice/knowledge I was looking for. The search will continue.
Sorry CDN_Cruiser in SoCal Lexus = $$$$

I found my 80 series with locks nearby, owner wants too much ($2K too much), so I'm campin out until he's ready to come down. :D (Its got 200k miles so no one else in town will want it. :D)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom