ChewBaca - 2007 1st Gen Sequoia Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How's it going? I thought I would post up my 1st Gen Sequoia build as I'm starting to see more of these 1st Gens out on the trail here in CO. Prior to picking up this limited 07, I had a 06 100 Series LC which was fully built out. The LC was awesome and got me where I needed to go for the 9 years I had it. I wanted to get a 1st Gen Sequoia as I wanted to do more overlanding as I do a lot of bouncing around when I'm out camping and fishing. I had used a roof top tent for a couple of years and although it worked out great I wanted something different, so here we are.

Pic 1.jpeg

My current build:
  1. Suspension from 1st Gen Offroad - Icon 2.5" Front Lift, SPC UCA, Extend Front Sway Bar lInks. I left the rear air bags in place as they work fine, it levels out when needed and the ride is not that bad. I did purchase some OME shocks for the rear but so far no need for them to be installed.
  2. Coastal Offroad Front Bumper Kit
  3. Ironman 4x4 9500lbs Winch w/Synthetic Rope
  4. Brute Force Fab Rock Sliders DYI Kit
  5. 4x Rigid Cube Lights
  6. Prospeed Rack
  7. Kammock Crosswing Awning
  8. DFG Offroad Shower Suite
  9. Midland MXT400 GMRS
  10. OWL Expedition media mount, works perfect for the 100 but had to drill an extra hole in the plate to mount into the sequoia radio
  11. DFG Offroad single drawer with fridge slide and table mount
  12. Dual battery set-up with 2 optima red tops
  13. RAZR Maxxis Tires
  14. KMC Wheels
  15. Redarc trailer brake
  16. Xprite 42" LED light bar, slim design
  17. Prospeed Attic Rack
Pic 3.jpeg

Here is my sleeping set up. I do have a tent that wraps around the hatch and the back bumper, it's perfect for this set up and is cheap. I will take a pic the next time I have that installed. So far this set up works perfect for me and is comfortable with the mattress. I have a few mesh screen covers that I place over the doors and I also picked up a full set of weather tech window shades that fit great and blacks out the entire cabin.
Sleep Setup
1. 6" Inofia Tri-folding mattress 75"x25"x6"
2. Ironman 25 degree swag bag
3. WeatherTech full vehicle sun shade
4. Hasika SUV Camping Tent
IMG_8486.jpeg

A pic with the awning and shower suite set up. I do have poles, tie downs for the Kammock awning if needed. It sets up super quick and folds up quick as well. I don't think I would go back to a standard awning after owning one of these.

Pic 8.jpeg

Here is pic of the DFG Offroad drawer with table mount. The table fits inside the drawer and sets up quick.

IMG_8488.jpeg

To be continued....

Last edited:
The Midland MXT install was a bit tricky as I put it were the pop out cup holders are. I had to remove most of the dash to get to the screws for those cup holders. There might have been a better way of doing this but after pushing forward with the removal of the dash there was no going back. The MXT 400 bracket did fit a little tight but worked out great. The issue I ran into was the MXT 400 was a little long and was hitting a bracket under the dash. Since there is no way to move that bracket I ended up making a notch in the bracket for the MXT 400 to fit.

IMG_7488.jpeg

IMG_7490.jpeg

IMG_7491.jpeg

IMG_7496.jpeg

Final Pic.
IMG_8481.jpeg

Here are a few pics of the Owl Media Mount install. I should have taken more but just forgot too. I used this same media mount for my LC and I thought the plate would be an exact fit for the tape player installed in the sequoia as they were around the same year. The install of this mount in the 100 was easy and simple. The Sequoia however was different as I had to separate the tape player from the tuner which required taking the stereo apart. It took a lot longer than expected but turned out great. I like this media mount as it bolts into the body of the tape player, it's sturdy and I like using my iPad for navigation, offline maps and I can remove it from the mount easily and take with me when needed.

IMG_7042.jpeg

IMG_7044.jpeg

IMG_7046.jpeg

IMG_7048.jpeg

IMG_7051.jpeg

How's it going? I thought I would post up my 1st Gen Sequoia build as I'm starting to see more of these 1st Gens out on the trail here in CO. Prior to picking up this limited 07, I had a 06 100 Series LC which was fully built out. The LC was awesome and got me where I needed to go for the 9 years I had it. I wanted to get a 1st Gen Sequoia as I wanted to do more overlanding as I do a lot of bouncing around when I'm out camping and fishing. I had used a roof top tent for a couple of years and although it worked out great I wanted something different, so here we are.

View attachment 3509701

My current build:
  1. Suspension from 1st Gen Offroad - Icon 2.5" Front Lift, SPC UCA, Extend Front Sway Bar lInks. I left the rear air bags in place as they work fine, it levels out when needed and the ride is not that bad. I did purchase some OME shocks for the rear but so far no need for them to be installed.
  2. Coast Offroad Front Bumper Kit
  3. Ironman 4x4 9500lbs Winch w/Synthetic Rope
  4. Brute Force Fab Rock Sliders DYI Kit
  5. 4x Rigid Cube Lights
  6. Prospeed Rack
  7. Kammock self standing awning
  8. DFG Offroad Shower Suite
  9. Midland MXT400 GMRS
  10. OWL Expedition media mount, works perfect for the 100 but had to drill an extra hole in the plate to mount into the sequoia radio
  11. DFG Offroad single drawer with fridge slide and table mount
  12. Dual battery set-up with 2 optima red tops
  13. RAZR Maxxis Tires
  14. KMC Wheels
  15. Redarc trailer brake
  16. Xprite 42" LED light bar, slim design
View attachment 3509745
Here is my sleeping set up. I do have a tent that wraps around the hatch and the back bumper, it's perfect for this set up and is cheap. I will take a pic the next time I have that installed. So far this set up work out perfect for me and is comfortable with the mattress. I have a few mesh screen covers that I place over the doors and I also picked up a full set of weather tech window shades that fit great and blacks out the entire cabin.
Sleep Setup
1. 6" Inofia Tri-folding mattress 75"x25"x6"
2. Ironman 25 degree swag bag
3. WeatherTech full vehicle sun shade
4. Hasika SUV Camping Tent
View attachment 3509752

A pic with the awning and shower suite set up. I do have poles, tie downs for the Kammock awning if needed. It sets up super quick and folds up quick as well. I don't think I would go back to a standard awning after owning one of these.

View attachment 3509754
Here is pic of the DFG Offroad drawer with table mount. The table fits inside the drawer and sets up quick.

View attachment 3509755
To be continued....
Love the front bumper

The front bumper is from coastal off-road and on their site they recommend a warn winch. I purchased that winch but ran into issues with the install. The winch sat slightly taller than the open space on the bumper. It may had to do with the way it was welded so I ended up returning the winch and purchased the Ironman 9500lb synthetic winch as it was about an inch shorter and I was able to rotate the winch so that the lock was not on top but on the front side of the winch, it worked out great. It was a tight fight and I had to trim a couple of pieces from the fan.
IMG_7367.jpeg

IMG_7365.jpeg

Pic 11.jpg

Last edited:
Great build! The sequoia thread is dead on this site but theirs a couple of us trying to keep it alive. You mention the wheels and tires. What the exact specs of that set up?

Great build! The sequoia thread is dead on this site but theirs a couple of us trying to keep it alive. You mention the wheels and tires. What the exact specs of that set up?
Umm, no, it’s not dead here. Lots of us posting with Tundras and Sequoias.

Thanks, The tire size is 285/70/R17. I forgot the name of those KMC wheels but here is a pic. I ran with Nitto Ridge Graplers for years on my LC. I switched over to these Razr ATs and they are pretty good. The RGs are good tire for off roading but terrible in the snow in my opinion. I've had these tires for about a year now and they do much better in the snow than the RGs.
Pic 6.jpeg

The Midland MXT install was a bit tricky as I put it were the pop out cup holders are. I had to remove most of the dash to get to the screws for those cup holders. There might have been a better way of doing this but after pushing forward with the removal of the dash there was no going back. The MXT 400 bracket did fit a little tight but worked out great. The issue I ran into was the MXT 400 was a little long and was hitting a bracket under the dash. Since there is no way to move that bracket I ended up making a notch in the bracket for the MXT 400 to fit.

View attachment 3509768
View attachment 3509772

View attachment 3509774

View attachment 3509776
Final Pic.
View attachment 3509779
Good looking switch panel...

Good looking switch panel...
That's right I forgot about a couple of items that I've purchased from here and Etsy and one being the 6 panel switch from Jgrauman. Thanks for the reminder and for the awesome panel.
IMG_8479.jpeg

I picked up the dual battery tray and the under the hood electronic tray from Lampson Fabworks on Etsy. I also had installed the ironman 4x4 dual battery management kit along with a dual battery monitor. I haven't done it yet but my plan is to run power to the back of the vehicle and have the ability to hook up solar. That might be my next project.

IMG_8472.jpeg

Here is the what I have on top and attached to the prospeed rack. I have 2 all weather cases that I picked up from amazon. I have my hi-lift with prinsu mounts and lastly I have a 7gal Yakima Road shower which does the job. The hose is long enough to reach the shower suite. The midland antenna is up front and I have enough space up front to place firewood or other items.

Seq top.jpg

1. Suspension from 1st Gen Offroad - Icon 2.5" Front Lift, SPC UCA, Extend Front Sway Bar lInks. I left the rear air bags in place as they work fine, it levels out when needed and the ride is not that bad. I did purchase some OME shocks for the rear but so far no need for them to be installed
Beautiful rig. What did you do to the rear height control to adjust for the 2.5” front lift? I did a 2” on the front of mine and maxed out my height control sensor and it still sags about a 0.5” in the rear and the rear rides super stiff. I just ordered a 0.75” spacer to soften the bag and find a little bit more height but there’s zero information on lifting these without swapping to coils.

IMG_1163.jpeg

Beautiful rig. What did you do to the rear height control to adjust for the 2.5” front lift? I did a 2” on the front of mine and maxed out my height control sensor and it still sags about a 0.5” in the rear and the rear rides super stiff. I just ordered a 0.75” spacer to soften the bag and find a little bit more height but there’s zero information on lifting these without swapping to coils.

View attachment 3541376
Add a bracket between your adjustment nut. Check out my thread. You will need to get a longer rear shock (rancho rs9000xl) to use the bags, info also in my thread

Add a bracket between your adjustment nut. Check out my thread. You will need to get a longer rear shock (rancho rs9000xl) to use the bags, info also in my thread
Great idea on that little bracket, I’ll have to rig something up like that. I ordered Bilstein B8 5100s for the rear because that’s what I got for the front and they have about slightly longer ext. length than the Rancho so they should be alright? I haven’t seen anyone run Bilsteins on these and I couldn’t find any info as to why everyone runs twin tubes so I just stuck to what I know and love which is the Bilsteins. What made you decide on Ranchos? It seems like Tacoma and some FJ guys flock toward Bilstein and the Sequoias seem to do Ranchos or Dobinsons, especially on the rear.

Great idea on that little bracket, I’ll have to rig something up like that. I ordered Bilstein B8 5100s for the rear because that’s what I got for the front and they have about slightly longer ext. length than the Rancho so they should be alright? I haven’t seen anyone run Bilsteins on these and I couldn’t find any info as to why everyone runs twin tubes so I just stuck to what I know and love which is the Bilsteins. What made you decide on Ranchos? It seems like Tacoma and some FJ guys flock toward Bilstein and the Sequoias seem to do Ranchos or Dobinsons, especially on the rear.
The 5100a aren't valved for the air coils. You will be bouncing around on the bags. Need the adjustment. Most run the ranchos on 6/7 and they work great

The 5100a aren't valved for the air coils. You will be bouncing around on the bags. Need the adjustment. Most run the ranchos on 6/7 and they work great
Interesting. I’m glad I found this thread when I did, I was gonna finish up the rear this weekend. Looks like I’ll have to send those Bilsteins back and swap them for some Ranchos. Thanks for the help.

I just received my prospeed attic shelf as I was running a cheap organizer from amazon before. The shelf is solid and will work out great for storing a few camping items. My plan is to install a ram system on it, so that it can hold my iPad when the sleeping area is set up.

tempImageEAppBC.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom