Chev 5.7 diesel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Any of you guys stateside have anything good to say about this engine. I've found two of these engines for $250 bucks with lots of new parts to build two. From what I have read they had problems with heads cracking and cranks breaking but with the right high tensile bolts they will hold together longer. I read these engines where getting 30 MPG pulling a 4 ton car.

Last edited:
Jesus oz you seem to find all the good deals on stuff don't you mate

Any of you guys stateside have anything good to say about this engine. I've found two of these engines for $250 bucks with lots of new parts to build two. From what I have read they had problems with heads cracking and cranks breaking but with the right high tensile bolts they will hold together longer. I read these engines where getting 30 MPG pulling a 4 ton car.

What, your going to put a 5.7 diesel into a 45? is there enough room?

Yep One of GM's biggest POS engines ever
I did own one in a Cadillac Eldorado:hillbilly:and it did get 20+ MPG until she blew..... and yours will to
A lot better places to waste spend your money IMO

I doubt the 4 ton part :)

From what I have read they had problems with heads cracking and cranks breaking but with the right high tensile bolts they will hold together longer. .

Maybe a few hours longer.
No such thing as a cheap diesel.

I think the 5.7 was GM's first shot at diesels in the 80s. They were a 350 gasser block and bottom end with a different head and are probably what scared the NA market away from diesels in passenger cars and pick-ups for a couple of decades.

The 6.2 and 6.5 get comparable mileage.

$250 eh, what's scrap steel going for these days?

With upgrades it should do well. It won't handle any performance upgrades as it was designed for economy. .

For that price I'd jump all over it

God, they were deplorable pieces of s***.I wouldn't put one of those in a Cruiser if you gave me a brand new one.Find a nice used 4.2 turdo and be happy with 28mpg

Why do you think they are cheap?

They be junk bro...I personally wouldn't put anything from GM, short of a full width 14 bolt rear end, on my Toyota Landcruiser.
The cruiser is legendary because it conquered every part of the world. Straight up Toyota. Put a GM engine in it and it looses cool points fast.
My 3B 60 is slow, but in my mind, its way cooler that way, and reliable.

You could even say; this engine is the entire reason the US population and lawmakers think diesels are disgusting polluting unreliable rubbish.

You have your best chance with the 1980/1981 model years. They may live a normal life if babied. All the previous years are guaranteed to fail at any given time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom