Checking water pump function (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
HiI have 1hfze motor recently rebuilt. Runs nice.
No issues with overheating but have no water flow through radiator once at operating temp or during warm up.
When i do stop however water seems to come out of the overflow for a while.
Changed the radiator cap already any thoughts would be appreciated.

How do you know you have no water flow. If you are not over heating i doubt you have a water pump issue. It works or it doesn't . You might have a thermostat issue but need more info. Coolant temp help with this issue and not the "its right in the middle " kind of answer. You need to hook up a scan gauge or some there type of odb reader and give exact temp. Should be running in the high 180's to low 190's . Ideal being 188.6.

How do you know you have no water flow. If you are not over heating i doubt you have a water pump issue. It works or it doesn't . You might have a thermostat issue but need more info. Coolant temp help with this issue and not the "its right in the middle " kind of answer. You need to hook up a scan gauge or some there type of odb reader and give exact temp. Should be running in the high 180's to low 190's . Ideal being 188.6.
The only way i came to the decision was i couldn't physically see water flow.
And water coming out in overflow once car was off.
Ill change thermostat today anyway.
I have an obd reader so ill put it on to check 1995 obd ? Guess ill find out soon.
Thank you for taking the time to answer.

My first guess would be a thermostat. No thermostat opening = no flow

Start it cold and once it has come to temperature grab the hose leading out of the thermostat and see if it is warm or cold.

I have an obd reader so ill put it on to check 1995 obd ? Guess ill find out soon.
YOu couldn't physically see water flowing? Do you mean you opened the cap and saw no movement or saw no fluid.

You didn't say what year. IF its pre odb then you can install a mechanical gauge in the return line and get a readout. Always good to know exact temps.

You didn't say what year. IF its pre odb then you can install a mechanical gauge in the return line and get a readout. Always good to know exact temps.
Sorry its 1995 in my ignorance i presumed there was only one year for the 1hfze motors

I guess Im not familiar with that designation. I know 1hz and 1hd as diesel and 1fz as gas. Not sure about 1hfze and only in 95 model

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom