Delete (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It should be at the full mark when cold and within the empty-full range when hot.

Light on is 2 qts. low, correct?

Light on is 2 qts. low, correct?

"ish". For my 97 LX the light will begin to show intermittently at 1QT low and will be on solid at 1.5 QTs low. My guess is that by this point (20+ years) every truck/sender reacts a bit differently.

Drain the oil as fast as you can is when to eff with it warm. Then you get the most out when thin, and if you’re extra O/C, dump a 1/4qt of fresh cold in to chase out the old hot oil, you’ll see a slug of clean oil drop at the end.

Otherwise, I check it before I crank it up & it has sat for a few hours/overnight, no oil splashed up the goofy curves of the dipstick tube & the best reading you’ll get.

Trust it after it has sat a minimum of an hour.

The only way to get an accurate oil reading is to turn OFF the engine and let sit for at least 5-10 minutes.

I have a slight lack of confidence when I check mine. It seems as though there is always some oil along the edges of the dipstick that extend above the level shown going horizontally across the hatch marks. I guess this oil picked up in the tube?

I have a slight lack of confidence when I check mine. It seems as though there is always some oil along the edges of the dipstick that extend above the level shown going horizontally across the hatch marks. I guess this oil picked up in the tube?
Yes, that is oil from the tube. Always choose the lowest reading that crosses the stick on either front or back side.

These posts crack me up. Mr T put specific instructions on how to check to the oil in the owners manual, just follow those instructions instead of over complicating it and trying to get directions for checking oil on a forum.

Shame on anyone who lets the oil quanty drop so far as to need a stupid light. Cut that wire and check the stick after you finish pumping gas.

These posts crack me up. Mr T put specific instructions on how to check to the oil in the owners manual, just follow those instructions instead of over complicating it and trying to get directions for checking oil on a forum.

:meh:

I’m sure you stink / know very little about something the OP can dang near recite.

Not knocking you, but with some of the materials engineers I’ve met I know some people are just smart in different ways.

One of the engineers who is an expert (think he has a doctorate, really) -in explosive fasteners/“blow bolts” - admitted to putting gas in his new diesel truck he bought.

No joke.

Plus, OP is new, and that dipstick tube is a prick for the curves.
Cut him a little slack.

Honestly, the oil sumps on these engines are well baffled, hold 2 gallons, and the oil pickup is pretty low. You could be 3 or 4 quarts low and not have a problem.
Back in the day when the world was new, I used to go to the dealer to get serviced. Apparently a "service tech" thought my 91 FJ80 was a Camry and put in 4 quarts. I didn't realize it until the next oil change that I did myself. That was the last time I went to a dealer for anything. That engine is still running without issues today.

I'm not suggesting you shouldn't check your oil, but don't agonize over it. If it's on the stick it's good.

And engine oil level is checked with a cold non-running motor. Before the first start of the day.

Last edited:
I check mine in the morning when cold for easy/consistent results. Wipe the dipstick then double check. I've never seen the low oil light but I assume it works...

Honestly, the oil sumps on these engines are well baffled, hold 2 gallons, and the oil pickup is pretty low. You could be 3 or 4 quarts low and not have a problem.

^^^ This. I like the idiot light, it comes on, spill some oil in and drive! I occasionally use the stick, but overall :meh:.

FWIW it does get perplexing this stupid checking the oil thing. Just when you think you got it down and know how to read the stick you get it wrong. Sometimes you look and it's full, spin around, sing a song and check again and it's half full. Mr. T likes to play tricks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom