Check your TRD oil filters! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bloc

SILVER Star
Threads
Last oil change I noticed something strange from the TRD oil filter I went to install. When installed on the filter housing cover, the perforated tube was offset to one side. I remember thinking “huh” and proceeding with install.

I did an oil change a few days ago and another TRD filter, same thing. Pull the filter back off and have a close look.. the damn thing is crooked. Slightly parallelogrammed.

I dug through the five I had on the shelf, and all but one were crooked.

It is slight, but with so little spring pressure from the filter support tube pushing the filter into the top of the housing, I’m not sure the upper soft seal doesn’t have a gap and oil isn’t bypassing the filter.

I didn’t get a pic but standard OEM filters are a different construction and with a molded plastic upper seal are perfectly square. I had one of those on the shelf too so installed it.

I’m attaching some pictures of what I found. Given the poor quality control of the batch I have, I’m opting to use standard OEM filters for now until I find a model I like and can actually trust to filter the oil.

If you all have these on the shelf and the tool to check square, maybe give yours a look. I wonder how widespread this is.

93C73D1F-957C-4F0E-977B-EEB82BA7246A.jpeg

This is visible without the right angle if you look closely.
6DE4C356-AE69-4DCF-BAD5-84073135D9A7.jpeg

Good filter on left, crooked on right. Slightly different markings on the filter, not sure if it’s a different production run or something.
C8D5998A-C9B5-403B-93C1-DBAAB83B98B2.jpeg

I have to wonder if this even matters when it is is under pressure when installed?

I have to wonder if this even matters when it is is under pressure when installed?
It does have a thick o-ring on both ends, but the spring pressure from the support tube pressing the filter up into the top of the housing isn't very significant.

Basically, I don't know whether oil is bypassing the filter or not, but these clearly aren't being made to a very high standard of quality when this is visible with the naked eye.

Where did you buy filters. Lots of cheap knockoffs on Amazon and eBay. Only buy from a dealer.

Seems like the USA filters have worse QA/QC than the Taiwanese original replacements.

It does have a thick o-ring on both ends, but the spring pressure from the support tube pressing the filter up into the top of the housing isn't very significant.

Basically, I don't know whether oil is bypassing the filter or not, but these clearly aren't being made to a very high standard of quality when this is visible with the naked eye.

Well... you certainly piqued my curiosity as I have been a strong supporter of these TRD oil filters. So, I dug out my inventory of filters to check:

IMG_1636.JPG

I chose one filter from each lot for examination.

First lot:
IMG_1638.JPG

IMG_1637.JPG

Second lot:
IMG_1640.JPG

IMG_1639.JPG

Third lot:
IMG_1642.JPG

IMG_1641.JPG

Fourth lot:
IMG_1644.JPG

IMG_1643.JPG

All four lots:
IMG_1645.JPG

All four filters examined looked good to me - maybe I'm just lucky.

But knowing that there are some out there that are not square, I will certainly check all these before installation.

HTH

Well... you certainly piqued my curiosity as I have been a strong supporter of these TRD oil filters. So, I dug out my inventory of filters to check:

View attachment 2709857

I chose one filter from each lot for examination.

First lot:
View attachment 2709858
View attachment 2709859

Second lot:
View attachment 2709860

View attachment 2709861

Third lot:
View attachment 2709862

View attachment 2709863

Fourth lot:
View attachment 2709864

View attachment 2709865

All four lots:
View attachment 2709866

All four filters examined looked good to me - maybe I'm just lucky.

But knowing that there are some out there that are not square, I will certainly check all these before installation.

HTH
That seems like great news.

Can we make anything of these lot numbers? Clearly 18E0 is something to watch out for.

Is it too late to bring them back and see if they will swap them for some undamaged ones?

Is it too late to bring them back and see if they will swap them for some undamaged ones?
I might have bought these three years ago, not sure. I do know the guys there well so it may be worth a shot.

This might fall into the category of things where the vendor looks at it and says it's fine that it is like that, "we know better than you do". I trust the guys at the counter, but not necessarily their bosses.

I might have bought these three years ago, not sure. I do know the guys there well so it may be worth a shot.

This might fall into the category of things where the vendor looks at it and says it's fine that it is like that, "we know better than you do". I trust the guys at the counter, but not necessarily their bosses.
It can cause issues. Using a similarly flawed filter bent my support tube. Not enough to cause issues as the trd filter has good support itself, but I did replace it with a dorman tube. I should have taken pics.

If the tube gets off-center, when you go to screw in the filter, it is almost impossible to get it to line up straight if the filter is flawed. I've installed a number of trd filters with no issues, but did verify the issue on two of my current stock. I also have a number of mobil filters, and none of them have the issue, so I may try my luck with them going forward. Thankfully Dorman sells a replacement tube kit fairly inexpensively (comes with 3 different tubes, the longest in the kit fits the 5.7l engine.

Last edited:
Also, since the evidence doesn’t seem to support my thread title, I’ll go ahead and edit it

Just did my first oil change this AM, including new-from-local-Toyota parts counter TRD filter. I checked it before installation - it was square.

Up on the lift I found that the small sub-plate of the main front skid plate was missing. KDSS valve body is thick with corrosion, although the rest of the underside is relatively spotless. I'll try the bolts later when I can find a piece of level ground to park the LC. Oh, and the recirc flap contraption in the glove box is broken, too. The good news just keeps coming with this 2018 CPO LC.

I will go and check the other three TRD filters I bought to see if I can get lot numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom