Check engine light is on (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just washed the engine on my 95 FZJ80. "Not high pressure", I do this 2-3 times a year to keep it clean. engine was warm but not hot when I washed it. Started a little rough so I let it run while I dried off the LC. Shut it down after letting it run for around 5 minutes (it was running smooth). Let it sit for 3-4 minutes and when I started it up to drive the 5 miles home it ran smooth but the "Check Engine Light" stayed on. When I got home I let it sit for around another 5 minutes and when I started it up again the light still stayed on. What did I mess up washing the engine? Any suggestions???

I had the same problem not too long ago. try pulling the distributor cap off and cleaning it out. The seal the hole in the back of the distributor housing with silicon or with a small o ring. pull battery power for a bit and then give it a try.

You might need new plug wires, water get into the spark plug hole from a leaking plug wire. I got new Toyota wires (DON"T USE ANYTHING BUT TOYOTA WIRES) and sealed the cap to dist with silicon. I did nothing to the weep hole on the dist. I can now hose the motor off with no problems.

Pitbull,
You can also pull the EFI fuse for a minute or two, this will also clear your "Check Engine Lite"
:beer:

[quote author=Eduardo96FZJ80 link=board=2;threadid=7048;start=msg58469#msg58469 date=1067882401]
Pitbull,
You can also pull the EFI fuse for a minute or two, this will also clear your "Check Engine Lite"
:beer:
[/quote]

Thanks, that worked and was easy to do. I'll have to be more careful the next time I wash the engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom