Cheap route for new leaf springs ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 60 with 204,000 miles is looking pretty sad dragging its rear end. The leaf springs are flat with no cambur or curve to them. It also needs new shocks. My questions: If I put in new leaf springs, how will it be any different, what's the benefit? Is it worth it? If I put in new shocks, will that lift the truck a bit? What kind of shocks? What if I only do shocks to cust costs? Any estimates for what I should pay for all new springs and shocks? Is there anything else that should be done under there while it is up? (The truck isn't in great shape. More or less a weeked driver and utility transport but I want to keep it running.) Thanks for any suggestions. landschooner "200 k and still dragging!"

Shocks do not provide lift.

It sounds like you need new springs. They will restore the original ride and height to your truck. They won't be cheap.

New springs and shocks will be roughly $1500, and that's if you install yourself.

The poor man's way here is long add a leafs at all 4 springs and new stock shocks which are surprisingly affordable. It's a boat load of work though-at least a weekend of heavy grunt work on the suspension, to end up with a compromise.

I'd look hard at an OME suspension set up and do things right. It's the same amount of work for a better longer lasting result.

Springs make the ride smoother, they absorb the jarring from hitting bumps and potholes. Shocks will temper the bounce of the springs.

The stock springs gave enough lift to accomodate the stock tires and allow for articulation.

The least expensive route may be to find a local spring shop that will re-arc your existing springs. Re-arced springs will lift your truck up to it's original height. If you don't drive or wheel your truck very hard, low priced shocks will probably last a long time.

An even less expensive route may be to just get longer shackles, although you really can only gain an inch or two before you compromise on safety.

where are you? I have 2 pair of rear FJ62 springs I'd sell either for $50 and they have good arch in them, one pair has a short AAL.

I'm in Portland, OR but I'm not interested in shipping

Dont be like this guy
3G43L93H75Ic5Ff5Mdd3o131b1c2b074217c3.jpg

3G33I43Nc5I35Gd5M3d3o13999bf340541221.jpg

there's a lot of jagged edges on that rig.

You can get your springs re-arched at a spring shop, for about half the price, but again, it's a compromise. Not really any way around worn out parts. Either rebuild or replace or drive as is.

if youre going new i remember alcan was a lot cheaper than ome but it is just springs. you just take your measurements per the instructions on there website and tell them how much lift you want and they will send you a quote. i think for a 5 inch lift they told me $800. again this was just springs and was a few years ago

There is a cheap way out, but it's far from ideal-
get shocks that can take booster springs around them.
Then add light coils to make up the difference.
Low tech, but it does work.

Or stand- alone booster springs...

Or air bags...

Not saying any of this is ideal, just possible.

t

Hey all,
it was my father who posted this thread and he doesn't check up on Mud a whole lot. Ill show him/relay the input.
Ive been triyng to get him to replace the suspension for a while, it's so sad to see our 60 roll around on completely flat springs in the rear.
90fj- we are just outside of the Nation's capital, so the only way to get your springs to us would be shipping them, thanks though!

Last edited:
Or you could step up to Chevy 63s in the back and get a better ride quality. Pick those up for $100 all day long. Ruff stuff kit is like $130 and then some original shocks from the parts store.

Or find someone that took their original ones off and but those.

Or you could step up to Chevy 63s in the back and get a better ride quality. Pick those up for $100 all day long. Ruff stuff kit is like $130 and then some original shocks from the parts store.

Or find someone that took their original ones off and but those.

But doesnt moving to Chevy 63"s require some modification to the hangers?

Yep hence the ruff stuff kit. Everything you need shipped to your door. Took me a day to get it completed with some help.

Night and day difference though

Got a pic? Especially of your shackle angle?

I used this kit, SUA. It doesn't actually net you any lift depending on your shackle angle so the front can remain the same.

http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/new/detaproduct.php?id=125

More droop, better ride and hauling capacity. They do hang out the back an extra 10" but doesn't really hurt departure angles as these wagons have huge asses to begin with.

You do have to remount your shocks though if you want to take advantage of the extra travel, I have 14" travel Bilstein 5100s in mine. I shoved my hi-lift in the my receiver hitch and took it to the top notch and my wheels were still on the ground, not a terribly safe or smart thing to do with a farm jack though.

FP... is this the kit you are talking about? http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/63SWP.html
So basically you swap these in back only? What did you do for the front?

That be the one!! And I just got an email from RuffStuff that they are having their annual Kit Sale. Now might be a good time.

I haven't done anything to the front yet as I'm gathering parts (stupid weddings are expensive!)

The back on mine sits just a bit higher when its empty, but loaded down it doesn't squat anywhere near as much as it used to. I also changed out my rear shocks. Its def flexy in the back!

Plenty of build threads on here about these. Its a great upgrade and does more than just help with off road stuff. Recommend it to everyone.

I put rears with an AAL up front, which only involved some new shackle mounts. I plan to put some 95 F250 leaves in the back so I don't have such long leaves. Rough measurements, with my 1" longer shackles I may not have to do anything to the back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom