Cheap Plasma cutter review (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Actually if you had read enough of my posts on dozens of forums you will see that I recommend low cost imports for those that need plasma cutting in a small shop and on a budget. I normally recommend that they are purchased from a reputable supplier such as Eastwood, Harbor Freight, Northern Tool and others as opposed to importers or Ebay ads....as these suppliers generally back up their warranty claims.

"Bashing" other brand products is not something I do nor does anyone that works for Hypertherm.....I do however compare the performance and capabilities of many brands of plasma. There are differences in power, cut speed, cut quality, duty cycle, consumable life, long term factory support and price, etc, etc. A busy shop that relies on its tools to make money will tend to spend a bit more for lower operating cost and long term reliability and support. A hobbyist or small shop has to go with what they can afford.....and consumable life is not as much of an issue.

I have tested many brands and models of plasma cutters in both hand held and machine cutting situations over the last 36 years. There is a place for every one on the market. The Hypertherm units are very nice, but clearly not for everybody!

By the way....I have been a weekend garage warrior for over 30 years....building stock cars, hot rods, and almost everthing else on the planet. I have had many brands (including imports) of welding and cutting equipment over the years. I understand the need for low cost as well as anyone.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Thanks, I was tired of the Hypertherm bashers picking on equipment that us weekend garage warriors can afford. I plan on trying to sever some 3/4" this weekend and will try to post another video, this time maybe not in Tommy Mac character although it does lend for a good laugh!

Thanks for chiming in Jim, you're the first one on any forum I've seen from Hypertherm be reasonable about Chicom stuff. I too will admit I do have name brand stuff in my shop.

When I find good deals on SO I generally will try to replace my CM with it. I have Cornwell, old Proto, Challenger etc for hand tools. And as I've said in other forums I've looked for used name brand stuff that I could afford before buying chicom cutters and welders, waited for 18 months looking for a used dynasty for under $1000 without being beat to tinbucktu without luck before buying the 160SX.

There is no doubt that if I made my living with these that the chicom stuff would be the travel/backup units but I don't and wanted to have the abiltiy these tools offered without breaking the bank. Even if both of these tools lasted just for the jobs I've bought them for they've paid for themselves and I've gained the experience of learning to use them.

You are in fact the most cordial and understanding response I have ever seen, over at the weldingweb those miller guys just tear chicom guys apart and it's uncalled for, if money were no object we all know what we'd have.

There isn't any doubt of what I'd have in my garage if big blue and others were priced just 25% more that what I've bought, I'd pay the extra to have them and if someone dropped a deal in my lap for a used Dynasty or Powermax45 I'd change today and sell my Chicoms.

To me they're much like the early days of AMD vs Intel, I've never had any loyalty to either, I just wanted the best bang for the buck and whoever offered that to me got my money, plain and simple.

Thanks for the response warezdog.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Thanks for chiming in Jim, you're the first one on any forum I've seen from Hypertherm be reasonable about Chicom stuff. I too will admit I do have name brand stuff in my shop.

When I find good deals on SO I generally will try to replace my CM with it. I have Cornwell, old Proto, Challenger etc for hand tools. And as I've said in other forums I've looked for used name brand stuff that I could afford before buying chicom cutters and welders, waited for 18 months looking for a used dynasty for under $1000 without being beat to tinbucktu without luck before buying the 160SX.

There is no doubt that if I made my living with these that the chicom stuff would be the travel/backup units but I don't and wanted to have the abiltiy these tools offered without breaking the bank. Even if both of these tools lasted just for the jobs I've bought them for they've paid for themselves and I've gained the experience of learning to use them.

You are in fact the most cordial and understanding response I have ever seen, over at the weldingweb those miller guys just tear chicom guys apart and it's uncalled for, if money were no object we all know what we'd have.

There isn't any doubt of what I'd have in my garage if big blue and others were priced just 25% more that what I've bought, I'd pay the extra to have them and if someone dropped a deal in my lap for a used Dynasty or Powermax45 I'd change today and sell my Chicoms.

To me they're much like the early days of AMD vs Intel, I've never had any loyalty to either, I just wanted the best bang for the buck and whoever offered that to me got my money, plain and simple.

I just saw the video and it was great. The Snap On tool boxes look nice!

I just saw the video and it was great. The Snap On tool boxes look nice!

Thanks, took me a couple years to find the lower and side box, have about $800 in all of it including new 5" castors, love the heritage stuff from SO.

With anyluck I should have time to post some vids of the tig this weekend doing aluminum, never tigged before so it should be interesting, might have to do it in Kenny Powers character this time around.

Does the torch look the same? I want to say yes but I'm not certain.

Amazon sell consumables which they listed for cut-50d and lt5000d so i guess the fittings are the same. Just want to make sure.

It's been thru set of tips but going strong. Picked up a longevity TIGweld 160 for $599 going to fire that up this coming weekend and check both the stick on steel with some 6013 and the tig on some 6061 1/4" with the pedal.

I was doing a Google search on this plasma cutter and ran across this thread. I don't get on this site much, but thought I'd ask how the plasma cutter is holding up for you? I'm seriously considering buying one since I've wanted one for years, and the price on them puts it within reach.

Running great, I was fabbing up a couple rear swingouts and it whizzed right thru some cold rolled 1/4" plate. Sure beats using a cut off wheel on a grinder no doubt, and in fact I'm willing to bet that the money I've saved on cut off wheels has pretty much paid for the cutter since I've had it.

Don't get me wrong I'd love to have me a hypertherm with a 15' torch but for the money this little bugger is awfully hard to shake a stick at and I don't feel bad when I abuse it and the consumables are cheap enough so even when I drop the torch and break the ceramic liner I'm not in tears.

That's great to hear. I think I'll go ahead and order one then. I do have one more question, though. On the consumables; where are you getting yours, and what brand are they? I see prices that range from cheap to "holy crap!", and see some reviews that the less expensive ones don't fit well or burn up too quickly.

Thanks

Mine has only been used a few times, but so far I've had same experience as warezdog. I've gotten my consumables from fleabay and some of the same folks that sell the chinese plasmas. So far, so good.

Right after I bought it I called and had them add consumables so it would all ship together, I don't remember exactly but I think I ordered 10 sets for like $40-50. I'm on the second set now from that group of 10. Abused the one that came with it learning the limits, and another on seeing how well it would gouge and cutting 3/8 plate at a bevel.

I buy the super cheap squares at HF when they go on sale for like a buck or two and use them for guides until they're shot, pitch it and grab a new one, they're great because you can ride the cup on top keeping the tip just above the work and against the square.

I buy the super cheap squares at HF when they go on sale for like a buck or two and use them for guides until they're shot, pitch it and grab a new one, they're great because you can ride the cup on top keeping the tip just above the work and against the square.

That's a great tip. Do you have any experience or opinion on circle cutting guides for this torch?

That's a great tip. Do you have any experience or opinion on circle cutting guides for this torch?
I usually just cut templates out from wood, I've found for smaller circles to use the inside is much easier and you have more template to hold onto. I used a large grinding wheel as a template for the tire carrier that bolts to the rim and that worked out well.

When I've used wood in the past like some scrap 1/2" ply I'll sometimes take the router with a 3/4" straight bit and a roller and knock off a ledge that's just about halfway into the wood so the torch can ride on the cup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom