Cheap Hitch Mounted Spare Tire Carrier to do the Job for 2-3 months (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I searched the threads and didn't find anything on this, so I thought I'd ask here. I saw a number of hitch mounted tire carriers (editing from swings-I'm not looking for a swing), which would be overkill for what I need and more costly than I'm looking for. I have a dissent rear bumper with a tire swing on it arriving in 2-3 months, most likely. In the meantime, I've installed an LRA aux tank and need somewhere to put my spare tire while I wait for my dissent bumper to arrive. Does anyone know what would be a good option for a hitch mounted, spare tire carrier? I wouldn't mind something really cheap. Does anyone have any recommendations? Or alternatives for where I can put the spare tire (I have an RTT and can't put it on the roof, by the way). I've thought about attaching a handle to the spare and just holding it out the window while I drive-you know for a warm up before lifting weights, but that might get old after a few weeks.

Last edited:
When I was researching ways to carry a second spare for an Alaska trip none of the hitch mount spare carriers I could find were cheap at all. Partly because the mechanism needed to make it swing out of the way for hatch or tailgate access isn’t simple to fabricate and have it be solid, tight, and durable.

You’ll either need to find one used in this seller’s market, or buy new and recover what you can selling it after the dissent parts arrive.

Or get some fix a flat with triple A as a backup?

Edit: I’m not serious about fix a flat, I can imagine it causing trouble with the sensor port on your TPMS transmitter.

When I was researching ways to carry a second spare for an Alaska trip none of the hitch mount spare carriers I could find were cheap at all. Partly because the mechanism needed to make it swing out of the way for hatch or tailgate access isn’t simple to fabricate and have it be solid, tight, and durable.

You’ll either need to find one used in this seller’s market, or buy new and recover what you can selling it after the dissent parts arrive.

Or get some fix a flat with triple A as a backup?

Edit: I’m not serious about fix a flat, I can imagine it causing trouble with the sensor port on your TPMS transmitter.
That gave me a welcomed laugh on a boring Tuesday with the fix-a-flat comment. I appreciate the feedback. I've seen some on amazon that don't have swings. There are a couple like this. I just want to make sure they aren't TOO cheap in quality and if anyone's had experience with this type, or knows of something better that's still cheap. Amazon product ASIN B09WYR4PD3

I suggest you put your spare inside. Most sizes will fit vertically, and several members have made a simple bracket off the 3rd row seat anchors to strap to.

I suggest you put your spare inside. Most sizes will fit vertically, and several members have made a simple bracket off the 3rd row seat anchors to strap to.
I may need to for a little bit. I've got a set of drawers and a cargo barrier and divider, so I'm a little tight for space back there. If all else fails, I can put it in the middle seat section when no one's back there

If all else fails, I can put it in the middle seat section when no one's back there
Please don’t do this. I go to the accidents in a professional capacity. Things that heavy that don’t have seatbelts should not be inside a passenger compartment.

Even when it’s not that heavy.. an acquaintance of mine died from being hit in the back of the head by a chunk of foam climbers use called a crash pad.

Options are very limited. To have to lift almost 100lb tire with the carrier above would get very old after the first time. I think selling a used Wilco or Ridg should be easy in Austin.
Check Expedition Portal Classifieds as well as Texas Overland and the Texas Overland marketplace Facebook page.

Toss it inside when needed.

I put an extra spare on my hitch tray flat with 2 ratchet straps securing it or sometimes Yakama Warrior basket on the roof.

That gave me a welcomed laugh on a boring Tuesday with the fix-a-flat comment. I appreciate the feedback. I've seen some on amazon that don't have swings. There are a couple like this. I just want to make sure they aren't TOO cheap in quality and if anyone's had experience with this type, or knows of something better that's still cheap. Amazon product ASIN B09WYR4PD3
I think that MIGHT work, but beware of the lower hatch clearance to the vertical plates where the pivot pin are. These don't pivot down with the carrier in open mode. There's not a lot of vertical separation between the hitch and the lower tailgate when the lower tailgate is open. Finally, the lower hatch flexes downward a good bit, maybe 1/2" or more when weighted, so make sure you've got some ample clearance before you crawl onto the lower tailgate or put something heavy on it.

A hitch carrier would do it

D07D1A0D-A31C-4B2F-B255-782D57EAB221.jpeg

Options are very limited. To have to lift almost 100lb tire with the carrier above would get very old after the first time. I think selling a used Wilco or Ridg should be easy in Austin.
Check Expedition Portal Classifieds as well as Texas Overland and the Texas Overland marketplace Facebook page.
I didn't mind lifting it in and out, but thankfully, I won't have to anymore. I was able to get a carrier for under $100 and it works. While I wait for my rear bumper with tire swingout, it seems like it will do. And thanks for the sources on where I can sell when I get my tire swingout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom