Cheap front end level options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for inexpensive, but quality, springs to replace my worn front coils and in the process gain the 1 inch these trucks needed from the start. I don't want a big lift, I don't want to replace my dampers, I don't want a massive increase in spring rate. This is my wife's daily and it's going to stay, more or less, stock. The main reason for replacement is simply that they are worn and to gain a little more up travel as I feel these have too little stock.

Does anyone know of list of free heights and/or rates for 120 platform springs? What I am looking for, ideally, is something like a cheap pair of stock 5th gen springs that I can modify to fit the GX470 strut to refresh the spring and gain the hieght with very little cash outlay.

I wouldn't be opposed to aftermarket springs from Dobison, Icon, OME, etc so long as the freeheight is what I'm gaining and not just picking up a ton of rate. I really like the ride quality of the GX stock and I don't need another off-roader with stiff springs.

I've looked around a little and couldn't find a list. Thanks!

Here is what I've found so far. I've sent out feelers to OME, TJM, DOBINSONS and Eibach but I don't expect to hear back from any of them honestly. Still searching to see if 2010+ springs can fit into these struts and then the heights and rates of those. Right now, it looks like OME 2883 are the perfect fit for me...maybe a little tall.

Spring makeproduct numberfree heightSpring rate
LexusGX470
13.58​
570-580?
OME
2883​
14.76​
590​
OME
2884​
15.35​
590​
OME
2885​
15.55​
590​
DobinsonsC59-302
Ironman
TJM770FR88IT
EibachE30-59-005-01-20

I know you said that you don't want to replace your shocks, but hear me out. With a set of bilstein 5100 shocks you can move the bottom circlip up to the second from the lowest position. My gx at the time had 115k miles on the suspension and what was worn out were the shocks, the springs were fine being compressed ever so much more being installed on the new circlip position. The net result was that the front of my gx is now just about perfectly level with the rear. I can send photos if you like. Total cost is whatever the cost is of 2 new front bilstein shocks.

For reference I paid $360 shipped for a set of 4 bilstein 5100 shocks for my gx and ride quality is just as comfortable while road manners have improved by not having blown shocks. I would happily recommend my setup to anyone else looking for a minor front end lift.

I know you said that you don't want to replace your shocks, but hear me out. With a set of bilstein 5100 shocks you can move the bottom circlip up to the second from the lowest position. My gx at the time had 115k miles on the suspension and what was worn out were the shocks, the springs were fine being compressed ever so much more being installed on the new circlip position. The net result was that the front of my gx is now just about perfectly level with the rear. I can send photos if you like. Total cost is whatever the cost is of 2 new front bilstein shocks.

For reference I paid $360 shipped for a set of 4 bilstein 5100 shocks for my gx and ride quality is just as comfortable while road manners have improved by not having blown shocks. I would happily recommend my setup to anyone else looking for a minor front end lift.
my adjustable shocks are in great shape and I have no interest in replacing them. I like the feature. Thank you for comment, its an interesting option once they do go. I also want a longer spring not just compress the stock spring more. they are already close to full coil bind as is.

Looking for inexpensive, but quality, springs to replace my worn front coils and in the process gain the 1 inch these trucks needed from the start. I don't want a big lift, I don't want to replace my dampers, I don't want a massive increase in spring rate. This is my wife's daily and it's going to stay, more or less, stock. The main reason for replacement is simply that they are worn and to gain a little more up travel as I feel these have too little stock.

Does anyone know of list of free heights and/or rates for 120 platform springs? What I am looking for, ideally, is something like a cheap pair of stock 5th gen springs that I can modify to fit the GX470 strut to refresh the spring and gain the hieght with very little cash outlay.

I wouldn't be opposed to aftermarket springs from Dobison, Icon, OME, etc so long as the freeheight is what I'm gaining and not just picking up a ton of rate. I really like the ride quality of the GX stock and I don't need another off-roader with stiff springs.

I've looked around a little and couldn't find a list. Thanks!
The Rancho Leveling kit may be what you would like. A coil over shock with 9 adjustable dampening settings to find the handing ride/comfort level you would like. About a 1.75 "lift that levels out the "stink bug" effect. I really liked mine. Reasonably priced. Looks perfect with OEM air bag height and cured the nose dive from braking even when I still had the airbags. It's the 4Runner kit and same as GX in front. You would lose the interior adjustable feature though. Hoever, if you don't match the shock to the lift of the spring you eventually will damage the shock. Or try a spacer kit with the OEM shock coil over...probably not considered the best route.
Rancho 2.00" Level It" Suspension System - RS66903R9 $359.00

Last edited:
I keep eyeballing these: Metal Tech 2003-09 Lexus GX470 Front springs - Stock height

My issue is that I have a significant drivers side lean - 1.5 in f/r. The airbags work but it leans like crazy. I'm considering new front springs and maybe even replacing the airbags to try to get it right. I'll consider new OEM shocks too, I like the factory features.

To lift it 1" you could use these: CORNFEDSUSPENSION.COMlink
I don't know if that would push you outside of the effective range of the factory shocks. It does seem that most springs sag rapidly enough that it would not be an issue for long, if at all, but that is speculation.

The guesstimate is that new from factory the hub to fender measurements were:
FD - 20.25"
FP - 20.25"
RD - 21"
RP - 21”

Did you measure you hub to fender and that’s how you know you have a 1” sag in the front? Some people have reported sag greater than 1” and then are surprised when a 2” lift turns into a 3.5” lift.

Im not sure I’ve seen a complete list of free height and spring rates for the GX470. Information seems to be lacking from manufacturers.

How much are the stock oem front springs?

Do you have KDSS? 1.5" lean is excessive. Also there are two level sensor. One one each upper rear link.

@Jstawgn - if you were referring to my lean, yes, it is quite excessive. No KDSS. It reminds me of when I put OME springs on the wrong sides of an FJ40. Lasted all of ten minutes...

My gut is that the rear d/s sensor needs adjustment and the front d/s spring is shot

Sorry to hijack, still looking for stock height solutions.

If the airbags are bad, there are threads On this forum on $100/each aftermarket rear airbags.

If the rear height sensors are off, then there are writeups on how to trick the rear height sensors. You could try tricking the d/s to see if it helps with the lean.

If you can’t easily fix the air suspension, then this would be a good time to convert to coils. Maybe a dobinson conversion kit and rear springs could be the stock-height and ride you are looking for.

Last edited:
check out this thread on detailed dobinson specs on suspension parts for 4Runner.

it’s has front and rear options.

I have spent the last 2 weeks looking for these Bilstein 5100 shocks. Everyone talks about them but no one gives the part number etc. Guys I am 74 years old, just bought an 04 GX470 with 92k and I am loving it BUT the shocks are shot. Can you tell me exactly or specifically what I need for exactly what you did. Thank You

Andy,
I have inherited my wife's old '09 GX and it will become my daily driver. I would be interested in seeing pics of yours as I would like to do the same thing (raise the front just a couple inches so it matches the back). and leave everything else standard.

Thanks,
Wade

Hi Wade,

Two things. First, if you replace the front shocks with aftermarket ones, then you will lose the ability to use the comfort, normal, sport dial on all 4 of your shocks. All 4 shocks must be operational for this feature to work. The only way to keep that feature working is to replace with electronically controlled shocks made for your GX470. OEMs are pricey.

Second, if you are okay losing that feature which didn't do much for me, then consider the Dobinson IMS 2.2" diameter body and height adjustable shocks with its corresponding Dobinson coils. These shocks can adjust from stock to 3" with a spanner wrench. You can go to this post to figure out which coils or ask the OP on this thread GX470 Dobinson Suspensions

I can also recommend what I have (Bilstein 6112s 46-227287 2.5" diameter body and height adjustable (0" to 2.5") shocks which come with 600 lbf/in coils and it's a good match for the GX470 V8 in stock weight), but I feel the Dobinson is a better overall option and similarly priced for the 2" of lift you are looking for:
C59-302 - Stock - 2.0" | with 110-150lbs - 1.5"
IMS59-50220 - IMS non-resi monotube, adjustable height (0-3.5")

You have to get top hats and get them assembled for an extra fee on these Dobinson and Bilstein options.

Good luck. These are just a couple of options. There are cheaper options out there, but these two are pretty good value for what you get.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom