Changing leaf springs on my 60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Having just got my 62, I have a feeling that the rear springs are a bit sagged, and the shocks are probably a bit long in the tooth too.

Now $s are a bit of a premium for us, so if we could get some springs, bushes etc, I would like to do it myself - save labor costs.

Problem I have, is that I have no idea where to start, or how hard it is.
Now I am sure that somewhere here there is a step by step with photos for a doofus like me, but I can't find it (I did search...)

Can anyone direct me to the right place for a good write up on changing the springs on my 60 please?

Thanks,

Dave.

It is not too hard but you need some tools to make it happen.

I use a 4" and 7" grinder to cut the shackle and shackle bolts, sway bar, u -bolts, and front top shock post if rusted. A saws-all may also work for some of this. You can try to unbolt this stuff but usually way easier to just cut it off because you are replacing all of it anyway.

If you are getting a full lift kit it will be much easier and less work than re-working your old springs. Also if doing a lift a kit is usually best because it is not just springs you will need. You will need springs, shocks, shackles, bolts, u-bolts, extended sway bar links, break lines, shims.......I think that is all of it.

You will need a nice big floor jack, maybe 2, 2 floor stands, torque wrench, a good set of metric sockets, breaker bar, BFH, and air tools are always nice but not a must have, oh....and a few days.

Plan on it taking way longer than you think it will just so you have extra time. If you already have everything in hand and a helper I would say it could be done in a weekend, but plan for more just in case.

There is a little info in my link here. https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/556766-fj60-bps-gets-some-love.html

Probably want an alignment when done if a lift is installed.

When I was planning to swap out my springs I started spraying all the bits with WD40 about three weeks out from when I planned to do it - all the nuts on the u-bolts, top and bottom, all shackle pins. Gave everything a good coat every few days, and did some driving in that time which I figured helped it work its way around.

When I finally got around to it, everything loosened and came off pretty easily, which I felt saved a lot of messing around.

Other than that, what meigsrock said sums it up well..

Thanks for that guys.

I would rather not cut if I can help it - just not my thing, so I will do the spray bit and be ready to cut if I have to.

Coils have to be compressed to mount them - what about leaf springs?
Do you have to tension them as you fit them, or does the droop at extension take care of that?

Thanks guys.
Good pics by the way.

Dave

no tensioning or compressing needed for leaf springs. as they hang from the hanger/shackle the axle housing will just sit down on top of them. it makes it a lot easier if you can do both sides at the same time so that both springs are at full droop while you bolt up the axle. if one side is flexed and the other drooped they don't line up well. I just did my 62 and I had no luck with wd40. it required a grinder with a cutting wheel so don't be too surprised if it comes to that. the hanger pin on these trucks can be a real challenge to get out and often cutting it is the far easier way of doing it. it's not a hard job in terms of technical skill or know how. probably a good place to start if you are new to working in these trucks. it's where I started to learn. it's fun to do but if you are trying to be done in a certain item frame double or triple the length of time you think it will take and double your cost. then you won't we disappointed. have fun:).

oh one more thing I learned. it may seem like it costs more to buy springs and shocks as a separate purchase as kits will often come with both to save you money but they are inevitably the wrong length and you end up buying a second set down the road. at least that was my experience. I would always get the springs I want first, get them mounted then measure and find the exact shocks I want. just my 2 cents from my experience.

Yeah, the plan would be to do the rear end first, then another time do the front, but both sides at the same time in each case.

Intersting the comments about not trusting the kits - will have to do some good homework before shelling out the cash........

Thanks,

Dave

If you are talking just replacing the springs and maybe the shocks you can do that easily over one weekend with fairly common hand tools, You'll need 4 floor jack stands and a floor jack and the rest would be common hand tools. I find a short ractchet strap help to get things back in alignment.

Basically jack truck up on a hard surface and place the 4 jackstands under the front and rear frame, remove all 4 tires, then its jsut amatter of removing old parts and installing new. If you do one side at teh time you can use the floor jack to control the axle as you work. Nothing really hard and no special tools required.

Ok then, next question.

Keeping in mind the comments about shocks length in the kits....

What price for a full kit over there?

Wondering if it would be chewper to order something from there on line.

In that respect, who is good for on line orders of this sort of stuff?

Thanks,

Dave

I would think it will cost you a small fortune to have that heavy of items shipped to you from the U.S.
Your already in Australia, so I would go with ARB that are made there. I recently put ARB Dakar heavy springs,
OME shocks & greaseable shackles, U-bolt flip kit (which fits much better than stock) and I'm very happy with them.
Very good quality - I used the "hot wrench" ( oxy-acetylene torch ) to remove the U-bolts, hangers, bolts, etc...
much faster.
Good luck!

Man-a-free is a popular vendor for the Old man emu lift springs as well as stock replacement springs. OME is actually an Australian company so probably a good option to buy from some one locally.

Iron man is also Australian made company if I remember correctly and would also be good to find some one local to sell it to you.

I don't think shipping from the US to you would be good. Probably too much $. I live in Alaska and some of the shipping companies treat us like we are another company for shipping rates and it is a lot for heavy stuff.

Cool Cruisers of Texas (ccot) is also another one that comes to mind. USA company. There are others too.

Kits usually go 1300-1700 depending but do some INTERNET searching.

If you can find a local Toyota club where you live you will get a lot of info there.

I sure you can source the stuff you need in AU...it would make no sense to order from USA.

I bought my stuff here in the USA from cruiser outfitters / Kurt.

I'm not familiar with the AU market but I'm sure that you can order the parts needed local in AU rather than here in teh USA where shipping is going to be a deal killer I suspect.

Ask around your local area...what some of the other guys with 60's are doing in regard to parts. A set of lift springs, 4 shocks, matching shackles and bushings, extended brake hoses, swap bar link extension, spring bushings, and a steering stabilizer, new ubolts.

The reason I ask is that I have some friends who get their tyres shipped from the US as even with freight it is around 60% of the Aussie shop price.

It looks like the suspension stuff is around the same though.

Some ARB stuff made in Aust is cheaper for us to get from the US too, or so I'm told.

Worth asking. Thanks.

Having just got my 62, I have a feeling that the rear springs are a bit sagged, and the shocks are probably a bit long in the tooth too.

Now $s are a bit of a premium for us, so if we could get some springs, bushes etc, I would like to do it myself - save labor costs.

Problem I have, is that I have no idea where to start, or how hard it is.
Now I am sure that somewhere here there is a step by step with photos for a doofus like me, but I can't find it (I did search...)

Can anyone direct me to the right place for a good write up on changing the springs on my 60 please?
sooooo its a pretty easy task i did my front springs this last weekend in one hour here is what i did block the tires so the rig doesnt move hooked up my cherry picker lifted it up popped the tires off with my rattle gun then the ubolts took everyleaf out but the main then took my chevy springs i got the 63's any would work though fyi go 3/4 ton anyways cut them to th same size take thick screw drive put through the center pin hole for lineup then slide the new springs in take a c clap and the spring down then put a new center pin and bam your done its thats easy and the chevy spring ride like a dream!!!!:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom