Changing Head gasket Bj75 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys does anyone have an instruction on how to change the head gasket on a 89 landcruiser Bj75? A youtube video would be good aswell

Thanks in advanche
20221106_134900.jpg

20221106_134857.jpg

you have to pull off your fuel lines at the very least and remove the cylinder head, more than likely manifolds out of the way too. It is kind of a more advanced mechanical job more involved than a rocker cover gasket.

Do you have a bad leak there? You would only do it if you really had to.

you have to pull off your fuel lines at the very least and remove the cylinder head, more than likely manifolds out of the way too. It is kind of a more advanced mechanical job more involved than a rocker cover gasket.

Do you have a bad leak there? You would only do it if you really had to.
Thx for your reply, yes i have Oil in the cooler, not much but i tested it from the toyota shop and they said there is oil in the water, i know what i have to remove and such, i just dont know if i need to adjust the valves or something on the head when i reinstall it? what kind of hydros are there?

Or can i easily remove the head install the new gasket and just screw it together like it was?

Thx for your reply, yes i have Oil in the cooler, not much but i tested it from the toyota shop and they said there is oil in the water, i know what i have to remove and such, i just dont know if i need to adjust the valves or something on the head when i reinstall it? what kind of hydros are there?

Or can i easily remove the head install the new gasket and just screw it together like it was?
the toyota factory service manuals are excellent, fsm. You need one of them for your 3b. first thing.

Some would clean up the valves, some would replace the valves and some would just put it back on. Depends what sort of job you like to do, how obsessive you are, money, time, parts access.

The head could be cracked too, which is much more than a gasket and valves.

Sometimes you don't know until you have a look. Either way, she shall be out of commission for a bit.

Did you just get it? They are rare in your area I believe, possibly the pvo knew it was a big job..

the toyota factory service manuals are excellent, fsm. You need one of them for your 3b. first thing.

Some would clean up the valves, some would replace the valves and some would just put it back on. Depends what sort of job you like to do, how obsessive you are, money, time, parts access.

The head could be cracked too, which is much more than a gasket and valves.

Sometimes you don't know until you have a look. Either way, she shall be out of commission for a bit.

Did you just get it? They are rare in your area I believe, possibly the pvo knew it was a big job..
i just downloaded the manual thx alot, it could also just be the intake manifold or the gasket, i will remove everything first and have a check on everything

i just downloaded the manual thx alot, it could also just be the intake manifold or the gasket, i will remove everything first and have a check on everything

Attachments

• manuel-de-reparation-moteur-b-3b-13bt-toyota-bj4-document-pdf-en-anglais.pdf
    12.5 MB · Views: 19
you essentially have to take half the engine apart

i just did this recently.....twice:(
ask away, pics of yours apart is always good

gives you the chance to address a lot of maintenance things that are much harder otherwise.
do it all

You probably already know this but it appears that you have a late model 3B engine commonly known as a 3BII. I suspect so because of the year but also your valve cover in your photo is a tip off. It is pretty similar to the 3B but has a bit different manifold layout. The good news is it seems that new heads have been more available for the 3BII than the 3B.

X2 on potential cracking of the head. If you are getting deep enough into there, I would highly recommend taking the head in to be hot tanked and magnafluxed for inspection. I'm convinced almost all 3B heads are cracked.

Last piece of advice that you are probaly already on top of, but I would replace it with a good Toyota OEM Multi-Layer Steel (MLS) gasket rather than any of the cheap aftermarket ones. Good luck! The 3B is really a pretty easy engine to work on. It is also really easy to pull the hood which will open everything up quite a bit more for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom