Changeing Power Steering Fluid with 4-wheel ABS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My power steering fluid ('97 LC) need changeing. I believe I have 4-wheel ABS than runs from the same pump and so must not drain the pump unless I want to go to dealer to have system bled. Can I just keep replacing the fluid in the resevoir or will it not all get mixed? Maybe there a better way?

Here's one of the methods that has been used. Pretty easy and controlled way of doing it.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/index.php?board=2;action=printpage;threadid=16275

Edit: whoops.. link no worky.

Here's the summary version, may be able to search for the full thread:

"remove the small returm hose from the reservoir and plug the res port (ear plug works good), hook in another piece of 3/8" hose with a hose barb and run the open end into a drain pan, lift the front axle so both tires are off the ground. Try to space the stands to clear the tires through there full travel, with the engine off cylce the steering wheel lock to lock fill the res after each full turn and the piston in the steering box will pump the fluid through the system at a nice controlled rate."

Last edited:
search on ps fluid or power steering fluid. There should be a bunch of stuff in the archives.

You PS fluid has nothing to do with your brakes.

A great responce and from a Rookie Too!

Thanks

"remove the small returm hose from the reservoir and plug the res port (ear plug works good), hook in another piece of 3/8" hose with a hose barb and run the open end into a drain pan, lift the front axle so both tires are off the ground. Try to space the stands to clear the tires through there full travel, with the engine off cylce the steering wheel lock to lock fill the res after each full turn and the piston in the steering box will pump the fluid through the system at a nice controlled rate."[/QUOTE]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom