Changeing Power Steering Fluid with 4-wheel ABS

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by MH_Stevens, Jul 8, 2005.

1. MH_Stevens

MH_Stevens

My power steering fluid ('97 LC) need changeing. I believe I have 4-wheel ABS than runs from the same pump and so must not drain the pump unless I want to go to dealer to have system bled. Can I just keep replacing the fluid in the resevoir or will it not all get mixed? Maybe there a better way?

2. Tools R Us

Tools R Us

On my '96 the power steering has nothing to do with the brakes. Is yours a stock USA system?

3. Rookie2

Rookie2

Here's one of the methods that has been used. Pretty easy and controlled way of doing it.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/index.php?board=2;action=printpage;threadid=16275

Edit: whoops.. link no worky.

Here's the summary version, may be able to search for the full thread:

"remove the small returm hose from the reservoir and plug the res port (ear plug works good), hook in another piece of 3/8" hose with a hose barb and run the open end into a drain pan, lift the front axle so both tires are off the ground. Try to space the stands to clear the tires through there full travel, with the engine off cylce the steering wheel lock to lock fill the res after each full turn and the piston in the steering box will pump the fluid through the system at a nice controlled rate."

Last edited: Jul 8, 2005
  4. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

search on ps fluid or power steering fluid. There should be a bunch of stuff in the archives.

You PS fluid has nothing to do with your brakes.

5. MH_Stevens

MH_Stevens

A great responce and from a Rookie Too!

Thanks

"remove the small returm hose from the reservoir and plug the res port (ear plug works good), hook in another piece of 3/8" hose with a hose barb and run the open end into a drain pan, lift the front axle so both tires are off the ground. Try to space the stands to clear the tires through there full travel, with the engine off cylce the steering wheel lock to lock fill the res after each full turn and the piston in the steering box will pump the fluid through the system at a nice controlled rate."[/QUOTE]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.